Please tell me you figured out that Eli was blind. Sorry, so many people didn't even notice when they watched the movie.

Yeah, it reminded me of the importance of other things, though. I'm reconsidering my water and food storage/production methods.

Please tell me you figured out that Eli was blind. Sorry, so many people didn't even notice when they watched the movie.

Yeah, it reminded me of the importance of other things, though. I'm reconsidering my water and food storage/production methods.

If you couldn't figure out he was blind half way through it...he back up under the overpass...you see him finger reading the bible, his increased sense of smell and redundancy to screw the hell outta the chick from that 70's show...lol

... his increased sense of smell...

my gift, my curse... I can't smell 90% of the time, I guess that's what I get for getting my nose broken 4 times. This movies previews looked pretty badass... so this post means it's worth watching?

It was "OK", not great.

The basic premise sucked. Of all the books that would be lost, the bible is the last. It has been printed more that toilet paper, it is commonly stored in protective boxes, and people will die to protect it.

I was really hoping going into the theater that it was something interesting, not emotional. A treatise on basic agriculture and water desalination? The access codes to every bunker and nuke powerplant in the country where people might have stored tech and knowledge as the world collapsed? Nope... the Bible. Gimmie a break!

Do you guys remember the question at the end of HG Wells Time Machine? If you had to rebuild society, what 3 books would you take? Medicine, metallurgy, chemistry? the Bible, US History, (the collected works of Locke and the founding fathers) and a pocket reference?

Anyway, it wasn't bad. It just could have been better.

• Like 3

It was "OK", not great.

The basic premise sucked. Of all the books that would be lost, the bible is the last. It has been printed more that toilet paper, it is commonly stored in protective boxes, and people will die to protect it.

I was really hoping going into the theater that it was something interesting, not emotional. A treatise on basic agriculture and water desalination? The access codes to every bunker and nuke powerplant in the country where people might have stored tech and knowledge as the world collapsed? Nope... the Bible. Gimmie a break!

No one stopped Hitler.

It was "OK", not great.

No one stopped Hitler.

Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot... none of them ever came close to getting all the bibles/religious texts. Every Jewish cemetery of any size has a few copies of the old testament buried in graves, not always with a corpse. (That being how they dispose of worn copies, and I have known of some churches doing the same thing.) And think about the digital copies... I have 100x the number of books on my shelf in digital form. Even a Bible. I don't think I'm alone here.

My point was, when people are starving, they could probably use clean water and food more than a sermon. The movie just pandered to the religious. Imagine if it had been a copy of the Koran instead of the Bible, and you might get how one might roll their eyes at the prospect of some religion being made a higher priority than dying people. It's just silly.

Nobody will ever get all the Bibles...not if they tried with massive organization, and certainly not in chaos when people cling to religion out of fear.

Ever notice in these movies, they never think about all the life in the Ocean? Think of "The Road". There would be plenty of fish/seafood for the taking, and it doesn't take a genius to build a generator and a greenhouse. I'm kind of a snob, but the ultimate post-apocalyptic film has yet to be made...

• Like 1

It was "OK", not great.

No one stopped Hitler.

Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot... none of them ever came close to getting all the bibles/religious texts. Every Jewish cemetery of any size has a few copies of the old testament buried in graves, not always with a corpse. (That being how they dispose of worn copies, and I have known of some churches doing the same thing.) And think about the digital copies... I have 100x the number of books on my shelf in digital form. Even a Bible. I don't think I'm alone here.

My point was, when people are starving, they could probably use clean water and food more than a sermon. The movie just pandered to the religious. Imagine if it had been a copy of the Koran instead of the Bible, and you might get how one might roll their eyes at the prospect of some religion being made a higher priority than dying people. It's just silly.

Nobody will ever get all the Bibles...not if they tried with massive organization, and certainly not in chaos when people cling to religion out of fear.

Ever notice in these movies, they never think about all the life in the Ocean? Think of "The Road". There would be plenty of fish/seafood for the taking, and it doesn't take a genius to build a generator and a greenhouse. I'm kind of a snob, but the ultimate post-apocalyptic film has yet to be made...

Your mind is so locked up tight. Open it a little bud.:angel:

i actually liked the movie quite a bit.saw it in the theater and rented it a few days back.it does kinda give that glimpse of what life could easily end up like......"its probably not loaded.they never are"...might want to stash some sealed tins of ammo,spam,and water.

Did anyone else take note of the importance of the knowledge we are aquiring now and its usefulness in a apocolyptic lawless situation. I am thinking bout that machete and an 870 shorty like that now...

Whatever you do, don't forget your iPod! :haha:

bookofeli_ipod.jpg

30 years after the end of the world (and Apple's disappearance), the shitty Li-Ion battery is still working - on an iPod from 2003! :lolol:

Li-Ions have a life of 3...5 years - unless they are used in Hollywood's movies. I wonder why everybody's using the shitty cells - we have a right to the good cells! :devil:

[/end rant]

:haha:

I did not see this movie in the theater. At the time, I did not see the point in going to see it, because the theatrical trailer did not give me enough of the story to intrigue me to that extent. Rather, my wife and waited to see it on DVD. As the final credits began to roll, I actually felt quite moved.

Because....

As a Christian, I was thrilled to see---finally see---a movie which glorified God and His Book; made it the centerpiece of everyone's desire to read its words, for better or for worse.

How many times have we seen Christianity and Catholicism treated like shit and their scripture trampled upon as though they were fliers about cleaning dog poop off someone's lawn? Far too many.

For once, someone made a pro-God, Pro-Christian movie. And I'm damn proud to have it in my home collection.

Oh, and by the way, I don't care if Eli was blind. It would have made sense, however, since he would have been bestowed with unnatural sight by God to aid him in his quest to bring the good book home.

And no, I will not apologize for being preachy.

• Like 2

Amen Brother and I mean that sincerely. I thought it was a great movie and so did my son who really didn't want to see it but went with me as it was shortly after my fathers' passing and my father and I had been planning to see it. My son said he was glad he went as it was the best movie he had ever seen and he wants to get it on DVD or Blue ray. My father was not a Christian when he had his stroke but God granted him and us a miracle by allowing him to be alert enough to have my Uncle whom is a Pastor pray with him for his salvation then a few days later my father passed very peacefully. Sorry I got alittle off topic but this movie was one my father wanted to see very much and he passed just before it opened in the theater so it had some extra meaning for me to see it with my son.

I did not see this movie in the theater. At the time, I did not see the point in going to see it, because the theatrical trailer did not give me enough of the story to intrigue me to that extent. Rather, my wife and waited to see it on DVD. As the final credits began to roll, I actually felt quite moved.

Because....

As a Christian, I was thrilled to see---finally see---a movie which glorified God and His Book; made it the centerpiece of everyone's desire to read its words, for better or for worse.

How many times have we seen Christianity and Catholicism treated like shit and their scripture trampled upon as though they were fliers about cleaning dog poop off someone's lawn? Far too many.

For once, someone made a pro-God, Pro-Christian movie. And I'm damn proud to have it in my home collection.

Oh, and by the way, I don't care if Eli was blind. It would have made sense, however, since he would have been bestowed with unnatural sight by God to aid him in his quest to bring the good book home.

I think I like this guy.

Because....

I think I like this guy.

He seems kinda preachy.

• Like 2

The problem Christians face is that, on one hand, you've got a mandate to try to save all the souls you can.

On the other hand, many (maybe most) people get pissed when you try to ram shit they don't want down their throat.

So, one can fail in the mandate to save people by trying too hard, in a sense.

Me, I consider myself an OK Christian. While I ask for Christ to speak to me and set me straight, it seems that

what I get is subtle, but wickedly funny, humor from Him in day to day life that says "Yes, I'm up here, looking at you."

While I'd prefer a "I am Christ, your Lord, and you should follow Me in these ways" message straight into the noggin, I am afraid

He chooses to be more subtle, at least with me.

So, while a movie with a message is GOOD, too blatant of a message can annoy people, while too subtle of a message can be missed by many.

I have yet to see this movie, perhaps I should.

It's a decent flick.

It's not gonna change one's faith though.

I'm afraid that in, at least the society that I find myself in, the "P.C." message that we're constantly inundated with, is that every faith is valid except Jeudeo-Christianity.

So I do like the fact that in at least one Hollywood picture chose to be somewhat Pro-Christianity without the one of faith being a nut-job...

Not to say that they didn't take a shot at small town white america, just to stay true to form...

The people in the film that I would bet many on this forum would identify with; the gun owner who was stocked up on ammo & had survived with his wife all these years unscathed... Just had to be a crazy cannibal preying on the unsuspecting.

Not to mention...

You'll never guess where the one bastion of actual working, civilized civilization is located. :rolleyes:

Edited by Paulyski

Well i don't try to ram my faith down anybody's throat but I do get sick and tired of the P.C. Paulyski was referring to as just about any faith is now ok as long as it's not Christianity. A friend of mine has a sister-in-law that works for Bank of America and she claims they are not allowed to wear necklaces, bracelets,or earrings, if they are of the cross. They also can't have any type of christian material on the desk or the walls of their offices, but every new branch being built has to have a prayer room for Muslims. How politically correct is that. Do I have a problem with Muslims yes I do in as much as it is not my religion and i don't follow their beliefs. Do I have a problem with them having the right to practice their religion no I don't it's their right but don't trample on my faith because it may offend someone. Sorry for the rant but I liked this movie for the simple fact that it was pro Christian and Denzel Washington and the movie company had the balls to put it out there.

Edited by theDuke

The problem Christians face is that, on one hand, you've got a mandate to try to save all the souls you can.

On the other hand, many (maybe most) people get pissed when you try to ram shit they don't want down their throat.

So, one can fail in the mandate to save people by trying too hard, in a sense.

Me, I consider myself an OK Christian. While I ask for Christ to speak to me and set me straight, it seems that

what I get is subtle, but wickedly funny, humor from Him in day to day life that says "Yes, I'm up here, looking at you."

While I'd prefer a "I am Christ, your Lord, and you should follow Me in these ways" message straight into the noggin, I am afraid

He chooses to be more subtle, at least with me.

So, while a movie with a message is GOOD, too blatant of a message can annoy people, while too subtle of a message can be missed by many.

I have yet to see this movie, perhaps I should.

Very well put. While I consider myself a soundly "Bad" Christian, I do my best, but I do not proselytize to anyone, ever. So Christ calls his followers to be "Fishers Of Men"? What is not mentioned is that grown men only crave 3 things: To be powerful, to be in control, and to be right about what they believe in at all costs.

I've found that if I go trying to convert people, I run afoul of all 3 things that "grown" men hold most dear. So I fucking quit. If God is truly omniscient and omnipresent (at least to us, and at least in this tiny corner of an enormous galaxy and an unfathomably large universe, and a space of existence that likely reaches so far outside this universe that we'll never understand it), then I'ma let Him change hearts and minds.

I'm good. I mean, I'm a natural born salesman, but the sell of Faith to someone that doesn't give a shit, no matter what their life is like, is well and truly beyond me.

I did enjoy this movie thoroughly. Not saying that it was the best thing ever, but it's nice to watch a movie where, at the end, it's not another "Oh BIG surprise! Christianity is the ultimate villain! (again)". Fucking spare me. In addition, I'm a big fan of Denzel Washington, and he is actually a very Christian guy. I felt like this role was what he was meant to do, and regardless of the film's falling short of "epic" status, It warmed my heart to see such a talented actor portraying a role of someone of faith that doesn't end with Faith being the Bad Guy, like most Hollywood products spew these days.

Edited by Vicarious_Lee

Did anyone else take note of the importance of the knowledge we are aquiring now and its usefulness in a apocolyptic lawless situation. I am thinking bout that machete and an 870 shorty like that now...

bookofeli_ipod.jpg

30 years after the end of the world (and Apple's disappearance), the shitty Li-Ion battery is still working - on an iPod from 2003! :lolol:

Li-Ions have a life of 3...5 years - unless they are used in Hollywood's movies. I wonder why everybody's using the shitty cells - we have a right to the good cells! :devil:

[/end rant]

Well if that was a rant you suck because he was using a motorcycle battery to charge and play it...if you want to make an impression at least try and remember or actually watch the film...lol

bookofeli_ipod.jpg

[/end rant]

Well if that was a rant you suck because he was using a motorcycle battery to charge and play it...if you want to make an impression at least try and remember or actually watch the film...lol

I might be a little drunk, but I don't think I like your tone... If "tongue in cheek"... I apologize! :cryss: I'm not looking for a fight. I am just explaining the obvious.

I don't think I suck because it seems you can't read...

Think hard about people and stones in glass houses...

Movie = 2010 - 2003 (iPod) + 30 (in the future) = 37 years. And I actually watched the movie... lol-back:

Li-Ions have a life of 3...5 years

He can charge a piece of wood for all that I care (or maybe a potato - he'll get more "charge" of that one).

3...5 years is specified for 50...80% capacity left in the cells (depends who's doing the "specmansheet" - engineering department or marketing).

... But because overcharged Li-Ion cells have the bad habit of exploding, some smart mo-fos provided them with "protection circuits" (over-charge/over discharge). Anything out of that range and the battery is effectively disconnected. I can provide schematics.

So "your" motorcycle battery would accomplish (worst case) the task of amputating the fingers of the "charger" (trying to put "charge" into something "non-existing"). :angel:

FYI:

http://www.buchmann....icle4-page1.asp

http://electronics.h...ion-battery.htm

:ph34r: