Brown/Silver Bear Velocities - Saiga .308 16inch

One important note about the 'Bear' ammo. I recommend staying away from the laquer coated Brown Bear and stick to the Silver Bear. In my tests, there were several following failure to feed, failure to extract events after the initial Brown Bear laquer rounds were fired. Personally, I think laquer coated rounds gum up the feed ramp and chamber causing problems.

My vote for the best/cheap .308 round is Tula, followed by Silver Bear and Radway Green.

Prices before shipping:

Silver Bear FMJ: $7.19/20 = $0.36 per round (CDT)

Radway Green FMJ: $39.96/75 = $0.51 per round (AIM)

Tula FMJ: $6.49/20 = $0.32 (CDT) ($4.99 AIM, out of stock)

For a hunting round, the Silver Bear SP might be a good value (accuracy not tested by me):

Silver Bear SP: $7.79/20 = $0.39 per round

Brown Bear or other laquer coated cartridges in 7.62x39 and other 'cone' shaped cases might be acceptable, but in straight sided cases like the .308 and .223 not. I base this not only on my own observations, but comments in many blogs and reports as well.

YMMV - Be safe, Be responsible.

After a several hundred rounds of Brown Bear I have never had any FTF or FTE doing everything from one round every few minutes for baseline accuracy tests to burning though 4 x 20Rd mags at the combat rate of one round every 2-3 seconds several times just because I like to do it occasionally. My rifle seriously loves this stuff.

Rhodes1968;

I can appreciate firing 'laquer only' rounds and not having a problem. But, fire 15-20 Brown Bear followed by 15-20 Silver Bear.

Failures to feed, or extraction problems have been extremely rare with my .308 until I did just that.