Is it a baby rat or a baby squirrel?

A while back around 9:30pm or so, we heard a loud screeching noise that sounded like a rat or something outside and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. We followed the sound and discovered a baby rat or squirrel laying in the flowers around a tree out front. Just curious if anyone knows if this is a rat or a squirrel. The neighbors cat was pretty curious about it as well. I tried looking up pics online, but they both looked pretty similar. Anyone know? I was thinking squirrel, like maybe it fell out of the tree.

Click pics for larger view:

post-7122-047564100 1287765331_thumb.jpg

post-7122-057634900 1287765337_thumb.jpg

yeah its a squirrel , im pretty sure anyway. i had a pet squirrel a few years ago that fell out of a tree as a baby. had to let it go b/c once it matured the damn thing went crazy and would bite and attack you for no reason. i was scared to death of that thing by the time i let it go!!

so what happened to it?

Edited by big-J

Looks like a squirrel. You plan on trying to nurse it? If so, cat milk formula. Dont remember the exactly what brand or what it was called. But its what Ive used before. It should drink it out of a dropper. It will prolly need a heating pad too. They are pretty cool pets, had a few as a kid growing up.

"What is it?" It's the cutest fucking thing I've seen posted here! :lolol:

I'm gonna jump on the squirrel band-wagon. I found this pic, which appears to be a bit younger than the one you found, but pretty much looks exactly like it:

baby+squirrel+3+or+4+days.jpg

Looks like a squirrel. You plan on trying to nurse it? If so, cat milk formula. Dont remember the exactly what brand or what it was called. But its what Ive used before. It should drink it out of a dropper. It will prolly need a heating pad too. They are pretty cool pets, had a few as a kid growing up.

I remember having to buy cat milk formula for a cat I had that was too young to be away from it's mother's milk (shady ass pet store). I think it was called "KMR" or something similar. Should be available at any pet store.

We didn't really know what to do with it. We started talking and what not, and a couple of hours later we looked and it was gone. Neighbors cat didn't get it. We weren't going to try and nurse it, not knowing if it was a baby rat or not. :unsure: I had forgotten all about it until I was looking through the memory card from my camera earlier today.

Edited by KC913

Edit: Posted too slow--but if interested, here's some info:

We've rehabbed several baby squirrels and that's definitely what it looks like. Hopefully the mother will take care of it. If not, here is THE BEST information on raising one that I have ever seen:

Squirrel Nutrition and Care

Follow her directions and you won't go wrong.

Although, to be honest, every single one we've ever raised was on canned goat's milk and using a 3cc syringe with one of those little pet nurser nipples slipped over the end of it. I don't know what it is about goat's milk, but they seem to the universal wet nurse--I've never seen or heard of any baby animal being malnourished when raised on it.

The bad part about getting one this time of year is that it means you will have to house it through the entire winter before releasing it when it gets warmer in the spring. Unless you live someplace that stays warm, of course. It will be grown size-wise before then, but they just won't have developed the smarts and/or had the time to build a nest yet.

Edited by MultiSlacking