Anybody Else Jones'n for a .308 Ultimak Gas Tube Mount?

I'm about to the point that I am going to turn down my .308s barrel to that of a x39's outside diameter. :D I want a scout style setup so bad, I don't think I can wait for Ultimak to do one.

I called the other day, and the gentleman said that it will eventually happen, but that there were other projects in front of it so he couldn't give me any estimate on time. Dammit! :angry:

Some people have simply changed the U bolt to a larger diameter.. or fabricated the existing one to fit.. :smoke:

Read that somewhere on here like 4 months back.. it can be done..

I'd do it.. but I'm ANTI Ultimak and ANTI Arsenal Saiga's..

Sory BigSal and Post-A.. :lolol:

Al

• Like 1

Some people have simply changed the U bolt to a larger diameter.. or fabricated the existing one to fit.. :smoke:

Read that somewhere on here like 4 months back.. it can be done..

Sory BigSal and Post-A.. :lolol:

Al

I've searched like a madman for that and just can't find anything. Any search tips?

The U bolt was dremeled out to FIT around the DIAM of the bbl is what I read..

Another person suggested buying larger U bolt from an online source..

Makes sense to me.. figure the U bolt is at least 3/16" thick more than likely.. just remove maybe 1/16" all the way around..

Al

I'm about to the point that I am going to turn down my .308s barrel to that of a x39's outside diameter. :D I want a scout style setup so bad, I don't think I can wait for Ultimak to do one.

I called the other day, and the gentleman said that it will eventually happen, but that there were other projects in front of it so he couldn't give me any estimate on time. Dammit! :angry:

Do you have a 16 or 21 inch barrel? In my opinion, an Ultimak + optic would make the 21 inch version too front heavy. A better solution might be one of the upcoming Aimpoint co-witnessing side mounts from Horse over at theakforum.net. They look really good, and the one for the 30mm tube Aimpoints should be available around Christmas. (Version for the Micro will be next year some time).

untitled.jpg

Adjust%201.JPG

Edited by Jim Digriz

The Ultimak for the .308 would be great as would the MI quad rail with the new US Palm upper for the micro if they would adapt it for the .308. The mount shown above looks nice too, but it will be around $300.

I'm not sure where you got that number. The last quoted figure was $220, and that's only until Horse recoups his initial investment. But it is likely to remain an expensive mount. Probably worth it in some cases, assuming it is tough and durable.

Just curious, why anti-Ultimak?

I am curious why ANTI Arsenal Saigas too. They are a high quality, reasonably priced option if you want an AK100 series style weapon. Personally, I am a fan of both Ultimak and Arsenal.

Arsenal and Kvars support of lib. Harry Reid, have done them in for me. Not one red cent of my money will go to them, ever again.

I doubt most AK fans will be able to keep such pledges. Even if one doesn't buy directly from them, lots of AK parts come in to the country only through them.

For my own part, I won't have rifles and parts that are not as good as they could be just because I want to "punish" them for endorsing Harry Reid. (Arsenal will probably never have much trouble selling their inventory, so it's difficult to see how these individual boycotts do anything other than to speed parts and rifles to the rest of us).

Edited by Jim Digriz

Do you have a 16 or 21 inch barrel? In my opinion, an Ultimak + optic would make the 21 inch version too front heavy. A better solution might be one of the upcoming Aimpoint co-witnessing side mounts from Horse over at theakforum.net. They look really good, and the one for the 30mm tube Aimpoints should be available around Christmas. (Version for the Micro will be next year some time).

I've got a 16". That mount you posted is awesome. If I wanted an Aimpoint or similar optic and didn't want to keep my Tech Sights, it would be the ticket. I want a low magnification "scout" style scope. I tried one on another rifle, and loved it.

Even with the 16", it may still end up front heavy. That I am afraid of. I have considered turning the whole barrel down to x39 diameter. Would take a lot of weight out, and make the Ultimak/scope combo easily obtainable. Would make the upcoming front sight post/flash hider project much easier as well.

I am optimistic about getting an Ultimak to fit the .308's standard barrel O.D., but optimism won't make me feel better about wasting $90 trying it. No guts, no glory, right? :super:

I'm anti arsenal because they are campaign contributors of our good friend Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid. They are now on par with Cooper who gave money to Obama. Neither company will get my money.

I think it is far to mention that Senator Reid has been a friend to the RKBA, and up until his vote to confirm Kagan, was going to get the NRA's endorsement in the mid-term.

Otherwise, yes, he is a piece of shit, and I will be glad to see him out of a job next month. :haha:

But, in the context of a gun company.....................

He's a friend to gun companies. He's not a friend to gun owners. They are not incompatible. Our country is centered around the concept of "you can keep your guns if your criminal record is squeaky clean and you are willing to live in fear from the BATFE". You can have robust gun sales and yet heavily restrict gun rights (after all, there's 300 million potential customers so cutting out 90% for one reason or another still leaves a lot of room for profit). Similar to how Germans lived in the Third Reich, life was good for you as long as you did what you were told and didn't even think about causing trouble (e.g. a subjective bullshit meaning as dictated by gov't officials). Gee, thanks a lot for nothing, you worthless political scum!

Even with the 16", it may still end up front heavy. That I am afraid of. I have considered turning the whole barrel down to x39 diameter. Would take a lot of weight out, and make the Ultimak/scope combo easily obtainable.

Is it really feasible to turn the whole barrel down? Even if so, I think you would end up ruining the rifle. The thick barrel of the Saiga 308 is one of its chief advantages over something like the PSL, which overheats much too rapidly.

Edited by Jim Digriz
Does this Harry Reid crap have to be hashed out in EVERY thread where someone talks about an Arsenal rifle?

Honestly I believe that it ought to be. It is highly relative information to anyone who is looking at buying an arsenal and has an ounce of concern for their rights being taken from them. I suppose there may be people that simply do not care enough about the constitution or liberty general to give a crap when someone acts to take do violence to those things but I would hope that most hear would. Just because you don't care enough about someone taking overt actions against your RKBA doesn't mean that other gun owners won't be outraged by it. This is the very type of thing that that ought to have any freedom loving gun owner in a state of indignation. How can they be outraged if they do not have the info. The erroneous information that some in this thread have shown that they believe is powerful evidence that the info needs to be put out there more not less.

In sum, the information is highly relevant anytime anyone is talking about doing business with Arsenal. For those who are content to turn a blind eye to it, you are part of the reason we have lost our fundamental freedoms.

I think it is far to mention that Senator Reid has been a friend to the RKBA, and up until his vote to confirm Kagan, was going to get the NRA's endorsement in the mid-term.

A couple more points on this line of thinking:

An NRA endorsement is not always a great indication of someones RKBA record. I'd love to know the logic behind drawing the line at Kagan and not Sonia Sotomayor or his other SCOTUS confirmation votes, or other confirmation votes for that matter.

Does this Harry Reid crap have to be hashed out in EVERY thread where someone talks about an Arsenal rifle?

Honestly I believe that it ought to be. It is highly relative information to anyone who is looking at buying an arsenal and has an ounce of concern for their rights being taken from them.

At some point it becomes trolling/thread hijacking. Take it to the political section.

Edited by Jim Digriz

I could see in this thread, where the whole topic of Arsenal is tangential, that specific discussion of anything about arsenal could be viewed as such. I maintain that in any thread that has as a topic something related to doing business with Arsenal it would be completely on topic and relevant discussion. I would not be favor of any course of action that serves to shield enemies of our liberty.

Edited by Zambidis
  • 6 months later...

I kinda gave up on this whole thing, until I found this program online, Pimp My Gun .It's a cool site, and while playing with it, accidentally got myself back on the hunt for a Scout style S.308

Saiga308.jpg

So.....anybody had any luck in mating these two?

Edited by TackDriver

Tada..

As found on another site/blog..

================================

Sweet!! One question, can an Ultimak gas tube be used on a 308 Saiga?

Red Jacket 02-23-2010, 04:06 PM

Barrel on a S308 is about a 1/3 thicker then the std AKM barrel [which is to say , a lathe is pretty handy when you try it ] . I really like the looks of that forearm Gabe , looking forward to a AAR

Gabe Suarez 02-24-2010, 03:45 PM

OK...I installed the rail this afternoon. The standard length is best on the Saiga 308 IMHO. Due to the Saiga barrel, you will need to buy two 10-32x3/4 bolts to replace the short bolts supplied with the kit. I will try to get away and shoot it soon.

Al

Edited by YWHIC

Tada..

As found on another site/blog..

================================

Red Jacket 02-23-2010, 04:06 PM

Barrel on a S308 is about a 1/3 thicker then the std AKM barrel [which is to say , a lathe is pretty handy when you try it ] . I really like the looks of that forearm Gabe , looking forward to a AAR

Gabe Suarez 02-24-2010, 03:45 PM

OK...I installed the rail this afternoon. The standard length is best on the Saiga 308 IMHO. Due to the Saiga barrel, you will need to buy two 10-32x3/4 bolts to replace the short bolts supplied with the kit. I will try to get away and shoot it soon.

Al

Thanks Al for the post. I went to WarriorTalk and checked that thread out.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?65367-Saiga-308-Ultimak-Handguard

Unfortunately, Mr. Suarez was installing (and talking about) the tri-rai handguard, not the gas tube rail/scope mount. I was so damn excited, too.

As noted earlier though someone did use longer U-bolts and got one to work.. by dremmeling the inside of the larger U-bolts..

someone else also did note the VEPR Ultimak rail works on the 308 more than likely with mods..

Al

As noted earlier though someone did use longer U-bolts and got one to work.. by dremmeling the inside of the larger U-bolts..

someone else also did note the VEPR Ultimak rail works on the 308 more than likely with mods..

Al

I guess I will just have to pull the trigger on one and see what I can do with it. I'm not scared of a little fitting.

Thanks everybody.