Saig 12 Break-in and FTE/FTF

I shot my brand new Saiga 12 (19"bbl) today, put about 115 Winchester low brass rounds through it 1 1/8oz. #7 shot. I had a lot (80%) of FTE and FTF. I was using different mags, no difference. I have read all the posts about low brass, and "break in" with heavier loads. I did have a couple magazines go through nearly perfect. The shotgun is stock except for an MD V-plug. (I was using the highest setting) I also switched back to the stock plug on the high setting, didn't really see any difference. I can see 3 gas ports in my gas block that are un-obstructed. Before shooting the shotgun, I cleaned it with Hoppes #9 (best I could with only patches available to me at the time) and then re-oiled it with synthetic gun oil. I am curious if this is typical as far as "Break in" for these shotguns. I don't think there is a defect in the shotgun, I don't want to send it in for "warranty service" if not needed. Any information about other ways to get the gun "broken in" or functioning better would be greatly appreciated. If it sounds like it does need warranty service, let me know. Thanks. Sorry for the mis-spell on SAIGA in the topic line... It's 5AM here, I'm tired....

Edited by MinMich

I'd clean her good and do not over lube it!

Get some decent ammo....Try Federal (as mentioned above)....Winchester bulk is some seriously underpowered ammo.

Don't forget...these are military type weapons never designed nor intended to shoot powder puff loads....just aint built for it.

Your OK friend...there is nothing wrong with your gun.

Shoot 100 more 3'00buck and there you go, By the time you spend 1,987,986 dollars on birdshot to break in this shotgun you could have spent less on the 00buck.

I know because i did the same thing but i spent 4,876,981 dollars on birdshot before it was broke in.

now it eats ALL with no mods

Edited by Indyk

My gun likes the Winchester bulk... well at least my wallet does. Mine will cycle it, but only after I put about 2-300 rounds through her to break her in, and a bit of polishing the guts. These guns WILL be a bit finicky with any ammo below 1400fps before the "break-in period" is complete. Once complete, they should cycle just about anything. Mine will even reliably cycle Estate target loads @ 1135fps.027.gif

My gun likes the Winchester bulk... well at least my wallet does. <snip>

Then your wallet would like federal #6 shot better.

It's around $4.00 less for 100 rounds than Winchester "bulk"...

"Bulk" and "Value" are not necessarily synonyms.

Thanks to all for the information and responses! I wil try some of the Federal ammo, and I will also buy some 00 buck. I read somewhere that some people soak the receiver/bolt/gas puck in kerosene to initially clean it.. Any thoughts on this? If not, I have some of that "Gun Scrubber"stuff that is in the pressurized can that I will be using, as it seems to really clean the hell out of things. I think my bruised shoulder will have recovered enough by next week for another "range report" :killer:

Your gun isn't jamming because it isn't clean enough. It needs to be broke in and/or polished up.

I just tuned up a NIB saiga for my buddy....first time fired...300 rounds bulk pack w/ MDArms drum, AGP's and Surefire-12rd...100%

By the time we were done it was dirty as hell and was still chugging them out.

As far as my tuned gun....I only clean out the gas piston every few hundred rounds and sloppily spray some rem-oil on the internals and bolt/carrier. Never clean it and it never skips a beat.

Agree on the Federal for non-throated guns.

Edited by C&S Metall-Werkes

Both of my S12's will eat Winny Universal.

They will also eat my cream puff low power reloads.

POLISH THE INTERNALS. This alone will ease your weapons transition.

Round the squared angles on the FACE of the hammer.

Round the squared angles on the BOTTOM of the bolt carrier.

Be patient and go slow.

Frosty

Both of my S12's will eat Winny Universal.

They will also eat my cream puff low power reloads.

POLISH THE INTERNALS. This alone will ease your weapons transition.

Round the squared angles on the FACE of the hammer.

Round the squared angles on the BOTTOM of the bolt carrier.

Be patient and go slow.

Frosty

I concur.

If after break in, if you can't cycle federal & don't want to send it for warranty work (or if you can't because you already converted)

Here's a post outlining some areas to concentrate on.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=50571&view=findpost&p=493296

Those steel prep pads will strip the carrier & leave it with a bead-blasted look with no other treatments. Don't worry about rust, it's all tool steel & nothing really rusts except for the trunnions, barrel RSB & gas block, which seem to be carbon steel.

However, if you're not absolutely confident about your metal finishing abilities, I'd recomend either sending the gun in for warrenty work first, sending the whole gun to Mike @ LoneStar-Arms to get it running perfectly, or having someone else profile the bolt, carrier & FCG who does it often. There's a guy here who does a lot of bolts.

Rebuilding a bolt & carrier will be a bitch if you get Dremel-high & go too far. If I ever rebuild another, I'd charge $200.00 at least.

Not trying to dissuade you if you can finish steel well, just giving you a heads up.

Study the procedure in the post I linked to & all the pics in the thread first. :up:

If after reducing friction you still can't cycle federal bulk, you may have undersized ports. You can measure them with this procedure; http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=51183

Edited by Paulyski

Thanks again for the updated information. I'm getting my Chaos Tri-rail in a day or two, and am getting anxious to do my first conversion. I will be optimistic, try some federal low brass and some high brass stuff, do a little polishing, and can't wait to have that 100% reliable weapon that I know it will be. I will check the links/threads that people have posted. With any luck at all, someday maybe I will be helping someone with their questions! Thanks again everyone..