I have to tell you about the double hook Texas AK fire control group I got from BigJ480. I had never used a Texas AK FCG before, nor had I ever used a double hook trigger/hammer FCG before either. While I liked the redundancy of the second hook, I had always heard that the trigger pull was not as nice as a single hook. With this in mind, I had always used single hook: either Tapco G2 or K-Var. IMHO the G2 from Tapco is smoother than the K-Var, but that is not scientific, just opinion.

Then I installed the Texas AK double hook FCG. Wow! It is the SMOOTHEST AK trigger I have ever used. Without even oiling it it yet (dry) it is slick as snot! After I cut the second notch in the trigger cut out on the bottom of the Saiga receiver, the Texas AK FCG was perfectly fitted. The second thing I like is that they did away with the hollow roll pin through the trigger housing and disconnector to "capture" the disconnector and spring. This is a weak point of Tapco FCG, as the metal is very thin around the roll pin on the disconnector. The only AK FCG failure I have seen is the disconnector on a G2 breaking. The Texas AK FCG is robust and I think the barrel would fall off before anything in the FCG goes. The idea behind the Roll pin in the Tapco is to make installation easy. If you assemble the Texas AK trigger/disconnector outside the weapon using a of piece of dowel or drill bit cut flush with the sides of the outside of the trigger, you can put it in and push through the AK axis pin from the outside, displacing the pin used to keep it together as the pin goes through.

In case you haven't guessed, I really love the Texas AK double hook FCG.

The Texas AK Triggers FCG is modeled after actual military FCGs (unlike the Tapco).

Do you have a cleaning kit like this?

ak_cleaning_kit.png

If so, the little ¾" steel pin is there to hold the trigger and disconnecter together for reassembly while in the field.

It is pushed out when you insert the pivot pin.

(y'all know y'all was wonderin' what that that little pin was for)

IMHO the G2 from Tapco is smoother than the K-Var, but that is not scientific, just opinion.

The only AK FCG failure I have seen is the disconnector on a G2 breaking.

The tapco g2, arsenal ,and texas trigger are all metal injection molded and when finely polished produce the same smoothness of surface.

The drawback of MIM is a reputation of not being as workable and smooth as a conventional forged steel that can be milled and polished to a greater degree due to the

tighter grain pattern. MIM parts also have the reputation of being weaker and more subject to breaking hence the disconnector you mentioned breaking. I have seen reports of broken

G2 and Arsenal groups in the past. Flaws are near impossible to detect on MIM parts until it cracks. On many other type guns like for instance revolvers, MIM parts are never prefered

and some people go out of their way to replace them with forged parts. I have read reports of MIM extractors on 870 shotguns wearing out sooner or breaking where the older forged ones lasted for ever. I am not surprised at all that you seen a G2 disconnector break.

In the past, military AK triggers have been forged. The only one I know of sold in the USA that is forged is the red star arms. If it was not for the 922r requirement needing enough US parts, I would prefer inexpensive and high quality forged steel trigger parts from russia, bulgaria, etc...because forged parts can be polished to a finer degree than MIM and far less likely to break over the long run. Ever notice none of the AK barrels are MIM? The better mil spec ones are usually praised for being hammer forged. An MIM AK barrel would be considered garbage. I am not sure it could even be considered safe. Going back to what you said about the Texas trigger being thicker at the disconnector pin hole, I agree that the extra thickness there has an advantage. Your new trigger will even get much smoother the more polished the rubbing surfaces become. It took me 15 minutes to get an arsenal trigger polished to the point where it feels like glass sliding across wet ice. A friend of mine compared his unconverted saiga to one of my well polished triggers and he couldn't believe the difference.

The Texas AK Triggers FCG is modeled after actual military FCGs (unlike the Tapco).

Do you have a cleaning kit like this?

ak_cleaning_kit.png

If so, the little ¾" steel pin is there to hold the trigger and disconnecter together for reassembly while in the field.

It is pushed out when you insert the pivot pin.

(y'all know y'all was wonderin' what that that little pin was for)

I had a cleaning kit like that with the capture pin, but don't anymore. I fabricated one from one of the old Saiga rear pivot pins.