I have been contacted by a few people that want me to help them add my Quad Rail to their AK or AK Bull Pup.

The parts and labor are about $500 and if you add that to the average price of an AK it brings the price up to about $1000 for this :

Progress045.jpg

That seems kind of pricey to me but I'm cheap.

That includes $200 for the 5-7 hours of labor I put into these and $150 for a Bull Pup Kit pulled from a new Bull Pup Rifle.

So, is $1000 a reasonable cost for this rifle???

Here is a break down of the parts:

BASE QUAD RAIL

UTG 7.62 Quad Rail $60

UTG S-12 Quad Rail $75

UTG 1” Vertical Riser $10

UTG Mid Section $7

Tapco Stubby Vertical Grip $20

Misc Hardware $5

Labor for modifications $200

Used Bull Pup Kit $150

TOTAL $527

BUTT STOCK OPTIONS

Aluminum Butt Plate $15

TAPCO Butt Plate Pad $10

Modified Sling $15

TOTAL $40

FRONT END OPTIONS

Bird Cage Flash Hider $10

Flash Hider Machine Work $10

Barrel Shroud $3

TOTAL $23

Edited by Boba Debt
  • Like 1

As soon as you sell one for that price you'll have your answer. Yes. Something is worth whatever people will pay for it. It won't be worth that to everybody but that doesn't matter because you don't have enough of them for everybody anyway.

Edited by DogMan
  • Like 3

This setup looks really good to me actually. And anything that has so many mods done to it, will run you up to 1K at least. The only question I have is - how do you clean the gas tube on this thing? It looks like you'd have to take off quite a few pieces using a screwdriver just to get to it, no? Would it retain 0 after you remount the rail and optics on it?

....- how do you clean the gas tube on this thing? It looks like you'd have to take off quite a few pieces using a screwdriver just to get to it, no? Would it retain 0 after you remount the rail and optics on it?

On an normal rifle you have to remove the middle/top section of the rail and flip the lever up to remove the gas tube.

On mine I have to remove the gas tube retension pin that I had manufactured for my rifles. It theory, you don't even need the gas tube retention pin since the quad rail holds the tube in place.

Mine seems to hold zero pretty good but I haven't done any extension rand tests yet.

Is it worth it? Yes

Can you sell it? Likely

The biggest problem, that I see, is having to buy another persons kit to build yours. Is there a way you can build this with out the "K-Var" kit parts? If you find a way, you should be able to save at least a small chunk of cash.

Is it worth it? Yes

Can you sell it? Likely

The biggest problem, that I see, is having to buy another persons kit to build yours. Is there a way you can build this with out the "K-Var" kit parts? If you find a way, you should be able to save at least a small chunk of cash.

I don't quite understand your question.

I think your talking about the lack of availability of the kits.

I provided the first person with a used kit but the new guy wants to buy a CIA Bull Pup. In that latter situation he will send me the parts I need to modify to make it work.

If you asking if this rail will work without any KVAR parts the answer is no. The rail is built around the KVAR forward grip/trigger assembly.

Hey Bobba...

I've been looking at Remington 700P .338 Lapuas on GunBroker & they're all about $400.00 more than I can pick them up for at my local brick & mortar shop. (I want serious range :ph34r: )

I'm betting you can pull $1000.00 out of that gun on GunBroker.

It might be hard here, but it'd likely eventually sell over there. :up:

Edited by Paulyski

I'm sure there are plenty of people who will pay $1000 for that. It might look like a lot in total but when you start off with a $400 gun and then add on as time and money permit it doesn't seem like that much. Personally I can't shoot those since I'm left handed. Also, I don't want that much mass reciprocating right next to my face. The first time you get a pierced primer or that dust cover blows off with your face attached to it will probably be the last time you want to shoot it.

• Like 2

$1000 seems like a lot for an AK but it is a bullpup with the benefits that come with that, so I guess it's like comparing apples and oranges. Standard length barrel but a much handier package overall and a completely different control layout, so it's not really the same gun any more. It's pretty much priced in line with the STG-556. I think people who want an AK based bullpup will pay $1K for this. Considering that much money will just get you a base model AR-15 from a decent company I don't think it's too much for an AK with all that work into it.

If you are into Bullpups and projects, then yes it would be worth it to you regardless of actual value. You have a lot of skill and if that's your thing, cool.

Everything will be worth something different to someone else. To me? That is not worth $1,000. For $1,000 I'd much rather have two converted Saigas, or I lived somewhere else, you can do something like an SBR'ed Draco for much less than that and still have enough for a case or two of ammo. There's a lot I'd rather do with $1,000 than make a bullpup AK 410 shotgun.

But, like I said, to each his own so if it's worth to you, who really cares if it's worth it to anyone else or not?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

At the average high price rate of other bullpup rifle designs, I think $1000 would be a good price

I never thought about it that way.

Even though these are modified AKs they still have a lot of the advantages of a bull pup that was designed to be a bull pup.

The three biggest complaints I hear about are the trigger, mag swaps and the safety, none of which are an issue once you tweak and learn the rifle.