Hey guys,

I have a new saiga 12 hunting model with the 19 inch barrel and the lever actuating the fire assembly. I want to cut off the plate on the bottom, weld the trigger to the fire assembly, put the pistol grip where it belongs, weld the trigger gaurd in place, and I want to cut the barrel down and add a flash hider to it, I was also thinking of adding a rail and sight to it. The question is would I be breaking the law if i did what I listed. I did some reading and it all seems legal so long as I keep the barrel 16in long. Also, is 16in from where the breech closes to the end of barrel or to the end of the flash hider? I would like it as short as possible and I would buy the longest hider i can get away with provided I am allowed to use it as barrel length. Also, I am in Fargo, ND i think i will be changing my resedence in the next couple of weeks. As far as i know neither state adds any provisions to the law.

Fire control group - there is no welding on the fire control group. Drill the pins out from the selector side that hold the factory fire control group in place, and the factory trigger, hammer, etc.. will fall right out. You then install a new fire control group. There are plenty of tutorials on doing this.

On a rifle, the shortest legal barrel length is 16 inches. On a shotgun, it is 18 inches. If you're going to cut it down, legally, you're supposed to remove the barrel, cut it down, permanently attach a flash hider, bringing the barrel length back to legal length, then reinstall the barrel. Chances are you won't get caught by not removing the barrel first, but... :unsure:

And the length you measure will be to the end of the permanently attached flash hider. If you're going to do it, I would keep it around 18 1/3 inches overall or so, just so there's a little wiggle room for legal reasons. And loctite doesn't equal permanently attached.