Weiger mag question

Thanks. My own search on this question turned up that thread, and while useful in terms of the 223 mag options, it does not answer my inquiry whether a bullet guide is necessary for Weiger mag use in my S223 (which does not have a bullet guide). I've researched this issue and have never seen a clearcut definitive answer to the question. Yeah or neah?

Edited by Buzz

Thanks. My own search on this question turned up that thread, and while useful in terms of the 223 mag options, it does not answer my inquiry whether a bullet guide is necessary for Weiger mag use in my S223 (which does not have a bullet guide). I've researched this issue and have never seen a clearcut definitive answer to the question. Yeah or neah?

All military magazine use requires a bullet guide.

The Weiger weapon system was produced by East Germany for military use.

As I remember they need a bullet guide.

Thanks. I've heard it both ways. That's one of the problems. The thing is that rounds from a Weiger hand cycle smoothly into my S223. The bullet height in relation to the chamber seems to be about ideal. I suppose actual fire cycling could be different.

Thanks. I've heard it both ways. That's one of the problems. The thing is that rounds from a Weiger hand cycle smoothly into my S223. The bullet height in relation to the chamber seems to be about ideal. I suppose actual fire cycling could be different.

You're basing your theory on one magazine?

Get the bullet guide. It'll save you some heartache.

I have no theory. My comment was only an observation based upon what I have seen with my three mags.

BTW, I checked my records and the Weigers were modified by Surefire.

I understand about the desirability overall of a bullet guide, but I have enough mags that don't require a bullet guide that will not work with one.

Edited by Buzz

I have no theory. My comment about hand cycling was merely an observation based what I have seen with my three mags.

I also checked my records and these are Weigers that were modified by Surefire.

AHA.

They're not really "Weigers" any more, then, are they?

Surefire modified Weigers way back when the company first got started (also modified steel milsurp 7.62x39 mags) to fit Saigas w/o any modification to the rifle.

A standard (unmolested) Weiger will not work w/o a bullet guide.

I have no theory. My comment about hand cycling was merely an observation based what I have seen with my three mags.

I also checked my records and these are Weigers that were modified by Surefire.

AHA.

They're not really "Weigers" any more, then, are they?

Surefire modified Weigers way back when the company first got started (also modified steel milsurp 7.62x39 mags) to fit Saigas w/o any modification to the rifle.

A standard (unmolested) Weiger will not work w/o a bullet guide.

Yes, sorry about that. I had forgotten about the fact that they had been modified by Surefire. I just went back to my original correspondence with the seller from several months ago and saw the reference to Surefire.

BTW, thanks, it looks like I finally have my answer.

After thirty years of practicing law I fully understand the value in asking the right question ;-)) Case in point...

Edited by Buzz

After thirty years of practicing law I fully understand the value in asking the right question ;-)) Case in point...

Practice makes perfect.

One would hope.

My only regret is that it took me thirty years to find something better to do. Come to think of it, it was only 27, so that is better.

BTW, does anyone recall whether the Surefire modified Weigers were reliable?

BTW, does anyone recall whether the Surefire modified Weigers were reliable?

They are very reliable.

The only reason you don't see more of them out there is that they don't help with 922r. That, and Surefire only produced the modded-metal-milsurps until it could get it's U.S. made plastic mags to market.

The weigers also dried up.. That is the thing with Surplus stuff, when its gone, its gone. They worked well, I never had any because of the cost.

Heck I think some of the guys on here got unmodded mags for like $5 each back in the day... I got Galil orlites for $3.85 each back in 05.