Still confused about magwells????

If I can lay hands on a Russian S-12 magwell, will it work with unmodified factory mags? Or, must the mags still be modified in some way? Modifying the mags just seems like a hassle to me and having some mags that fit some S-12s, but not my other S-12s is confusing. I have tried painting the modified ones, for rapid differentiation, but I'd rather avoid the whole process by not having to modify any mags..

So, what is the perfect magwell solution.

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge
  • Like 1

You have to modify the magazines to work with the Russian magwell. It is a really bad fucking idea unless you only shoot pussy loads. If the magazine is set up to "drop-free", it will usually fall out when you shoot magnum loads. You can mod the mags so they are tight in the well and stay in, but then you have to pull them out of the magwell. Either way, when you fire the gun with a long-ass donkey dick magazine hanging out, it will flex fore and aft terribly in the magwell.

The bottom line is, you need magazines that are made to work in a magwell and if you plan on having an automatic last round bolt hold open device, you need a magazine with a provision to actuate it. Anything else is just kitchen table bullshit.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

• Like 4

You have to modify the magazines to work with the Russian magwell. It is a really bad fucking idea unless you only shoot pussy loads. If the magazine is set up to "drop-free", it will usually fall out when you shoot magnum loads. You can mod the mags so they are tight in the well and stay in, but then you have to pull them out of the magwell. Either way, when you fire the gun with a long-ass donkey dick magazine hanging out, it will flex fore and aft terribly in the magwell.

The bottom line is, you need magazines that are made to work in a magwell and if you plan on having an automatic last round bolt hold open device, you need a magazine with a provision to actuate it. Anything else is just kitchen table bullshit.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

Ugh, so there is no Holy Grail of magwells! Basically, they just don't seem like they are worth the trouble.

WJ

• Like 1

If I can lay hands on a Russian S-12 magwell, will it work with unmodified factory mags? Or, must the mags still be modified in some way? Modifying the mags just seems like a hassle to me and having some mags that fit some S-12s, but not my other S-12s is confusing. I have tried painting the modified ones, for rapid differentiation, but I'd rather avoid the whole process by not having to modify any mags..

So, what is the perfect magwell solution.

WJ

The mags have to be modified and are useless in an unmodified gun. Basically, the catch lip on the front of the mag has to be removed, and the mag is held in place by tension/friction from the front and by the mag catch at the rear.

The other caveat is that you cannot load drums in an extended magwell. This may seem like a small trade off for faster reloading speeds, but it isn't. With the advent of the excellent and highly reliable Promag 12 round drum, and time tested MD 20 drums, you will be giving up a lot of flexibility by going with a Russian, or Russian type (SGM) magwell.

I have two brand new SGM Russian type magwells with matching mags sitting in my spare parts bin. I will be happy to send a mag and magwell to you with your next shipment if you want to check it out. I believe you will be completely underwhelmed with the system.

While I am on the subject, I would like to register my disappointment with current generation SGM 12 round stick mags. Simpy put - I have found that the formerly reliable "Surefire" branded mags have become consistently unreliable under the "SGM Tactical" label - tending to hang on the last 2 or three shells.

The only SGM Tactical mags I currently find to be consistently reliable are the SGM 8 round mags.

A representative of the company assured me that they were now putting the "stronger" competition springs in the new mags. I ordered a couple to try them out, and both mags have consistently failed to feed the last two rounds, while SGM 8 round mags, Promag 12 round drums, and MD 20 drums continue to feed every round with a high degree of reliability.

I hope the information and opinions offered prove helpful.

Best regards,

JMHO

Mike

• Like 3

Tony Rumore

Tromix

^^^ What Tony said.

Mike

I have a JT magwell that works like a champ with both SureFire and AGP mags. I wish I could use my drum on this one but for my needs the magwell works well for 3 gun. What I dont see the need for is crap like door breaching saber toothed K-Bar, tungston serated muzzle attachments that serve no real purpose except seperating a fool and his money. And crap like skull and cross bones charging handles.

BUT its a free world and you can spend your money how you choose!

Yes, the S-12 is a personal statement of what we like and don't like. I, too, do not like the skull and cross bones charging handles, but I'm a sucker for flash hiders. Tromix shark brake, Chaos Wart Hog, E-Tac Talon, bird cage, Phantom, etc.,I like 'em all!

WJ

• Like 1

Drums it shall be, then. I do like the look of the magwell, but the down side is too great.

Thanks,

WJ

Didn't someone make a mag chute?

This was a thingy-ma-bob that looked like something a mag well, but just lined your mag up with the factory mag slot (so all you had to worry about was locking it in at the correct angle).

Basically a mag well without the front and rear parts that require mag modification.

If this is something I read about in a dream and doesn't really exist, please mark me up for a percentage :D

Edited by nalioth

As Tony said if you're going to use a mag well you've got to modify the mags and it puts some limitations on what else can be used. No drums work that I know of so for higher cap the long Frankenmags are the only option. I'd get the AGP type it's easier to get the Surefire to work with it than the other way around.

I haven't explored the mags breaking under heavy loads when used with a mag well but I wanted the set up for 3 gun and just use light to managed recoil ammo (what some refer to as pussy loads)

Just figure what you want to be able to do with the gun long term and plan your mods accordingly.

Good luck with it.

Here is what I was refering to, dont know if thats what you ment or not.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-414/Saiga-12-Magazine-/Detail

No that's not the one I was referring to. This one went all the way around and was attached to the trigger guard.

The one you are talking about is the Firebird design. They are a Brian Enos forum sponsor, but they do not have a business account on this forum. I know at least one good 3 gun shooter that uses that design.

Doug

I ran into a guy at a three gun match in Phoenix that had a three sided (sides and back) magwell that didn't work with drums, but didn't require mags to be modded either. He was able to load a full 12rd mag on a closed bolt with ease. Just lock the front tab in the factory slot for it and the three sides kept it in line so it did t wobble back and forth while the top round figts against the bolt. When it came time to drop the mag there was a button on the side which may or may not have replaced the factory mag release, but you pushed it horizontally as you would an AR.

Not sure if that's what/who you're talking about doug, but the one he had seemed to work.