Will this brake work?

That's what some folks have been using w/o any issues.

P.S. That's not a "brake", but a "front sight block". The muzzle device (muzzle brake or flash hider) attaches to it.

Edited by nalioth
  • Like 1

Sweet. What penny nails where those he used for the "pins?" Look like 6's.

To be honest I am not entirely sure, they were roughly 3/32 in diameter and matched the drill bit I had very closely. I just used what was on hand at the time. If you have to go out to the hardware store and buy them, I would say just get some 1/8" metal rod and a 1/8" drill bit. But regular nails will work just fine if you peen them in place/shape.

I used 1/8" metal rod for the gas piston pin on that same rifle and also ended up re-doing the front anyway while I was at it (I was bored). It was by the steel brackets and plates etc. at Home Depot, very soft metal and peens into shape awesome.

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov

Hey there,

Cool, thanks for the info. I wondered about sticking actual tiny bolts in there, or like threading the holes and hoping screwing an allen bolt or something would tighten it to the barrel (essentially making it a "clamp-on" FSB). What do you think? Would that work or am I missing some info?

"In Capitalist America, bank robs you!" = best signature ever, BTW!

Edited by Kalashniklown

Hey there,

Cool, thanks for the info. I wondered about sticking actual tiny bolts in there, or like threading the holes and hoping screwing an allen bolt or something would tighten it to the barrel (essentially making it a "clamp-on" FSB). What do you think? Would that work or am I missing some info?

"In Capitalist America, bank robs you!" = best signature ever, BTW!

If you look closely at the AKPartsKits brake, there is a threaded hole at 6 o clock on the threads where the brake screws in. I believe it is threaded 10-32. I think there is someone on here that has done that one by simply using a set screw. No idea if it works good or not, but I would imagine it would. Me I stuck with the original method.

As for the method you mentioned, I guess you could thread the two channels and use small bolts, however it's so easy to just drill 3/32 or 1/8 and pound a pin in there that I wouldn't bother with an exotic method like threading the holes and using small bolts.

EDIT: Glad you like my sig :D

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov