Stock Options

Your favorite stock for a converted S12 and why?

Thinking about replacing my Tapco stock. Looking for something with a wider buttplate and a bit of length adjustability. Not interested in side-folders. What are your stock recommendations? Been browsing those at CSS. Would be interested in some nice wood AK style stock/furniture if you know of a good place to hunt for those. Thanks

Any AK takeoff wood buttstock.

AKM foregrip for the humps.

Reason being, it's cheap, laminate which is much stronger & lighter than hardwood, I stain to my way, so no matter what I get, it'll look like this, & last but not least, the buttstocks have a trap door with a compartment for your tool kit & another hidden compartment under the butt-plate.

Done1-2.jpg

If you need a pad to reduce recoil (for your girl)...;) Or you wanna make it NATO length.

The Russian style slip on pads work on ALL soviet style AK stocks & brings the Warsaw length up to NATO length.

Gundog1.jpg

Edited by Paulyski
  • Like 1

I like any factory furniture

post-8026-042454400%201288107916_thumb.jpg

Damn that SVD S-12 folding buttstock about makes my dick hard....

Too bad it's like $350.00 at least just to buy the stock, hardware & do it yourself. :(

And that's when you can find the thing. :unsure:

Edited by Paulyski

I have a Tapco T6 and haven't had any problems with it. I have some really little friends so its nice to be able to shorten it for them to shoot comfortably.

That's still no excuse to buttstock-rape an AK with AR stuff. :rolleyes:

:haha:

African2BInfantryman2Bof2Bthe2BYear2BLiberian2BMilitiamen2BAK2B472BKalashnikov2BChild2Bsoldiers2Bchildren2Bsoldiers.jpg

If they're too small for a Warsaw, there's always a folder. ;)

majadk47_narrowweb__300x4320.jpgAK.jpg

Wow, those kids have some great training, check out the booger hooks. I'm actually surprised to see that... :super:

This picture was actually taken during combat in an African rebellion.

This kid's likely seen more action (if he's still alive) than most of us here...

African2BInfantryman2Bof2Bthe2BYear2BLiberian2BMilitiamen2BAK2B472BKalashnikov2BChild2Bsoldiers2Bchildren2Bsoldiers.jpg

SVDS folder all the way

Nicely balances the S12 and has a rotatable cheekpad for irons or optics

NinerRider taking a shot at clays:

NinerZenS12Rakurz01.JPG

I'm going to find a 3rd stock for the US_Dragunov imported version just so I can keep up with SaigaTech :haha:

SGL31-61_S12_01.JPG

• Like 1

...I'm going to find a 3rd stock for the US_Dragunov imported version just so I can keep up with SaigaTech :haha:

"keep up with SaigaTech"? haha.. good luck with that! ^_^

That said, you do have the second coolest S-12's on the forum imo, TXZen. :up:

I just got my package from K-Var today. Here's some of the contents:

ak100stock001.jpg

ak100stock003.jpg

ak100stock002.jpg

I won't be able to get this installed in my S-12 for a little while, (she's still in surgery having "other" work done), but I'm pretty stoked. :smoke:

Thanks for the input. I'm really liking the DPH stocks and the AK47 woody. I have a couple Yugo underfolders, so I'm not real familiar with the wood stock, but it looks good. The warsaw length is just about perfect for me, and I do like the buttstock storage. So the DPH bolts on to the rear tang of a converted S12 with no adapters? On the wood foregrips for S12 use: the romy style foregrips: are they short for the foregrip? how do they mount and is some DIY required? Thanks again.

Nice hardware pics btw...

edit: nevermind the romy foregrip question, just found the answer

Edited by Plan.B

I don't like folders, either. I don't see any practical use for them as I don't have an APC or a tank. Give me a Vltor buffer tube, or a Mesa Tactical Enidine tube with a nice AR style stock on it and I'm happy. My preferred stock set up does not satisfy the 'purist" who like to keep their Saigas true to their Russian heritage, but I like them with a Vltor modstock or Choate AR stock or I even really like the CAA stock.

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge

Vltor AR stock adaptor with Magpul MOE/CTR stock and .75" enhanced recoil pad. This is a rock solid combo, offers QD swivel points near the receiver end of the gun, buffer tube has a watertight storage area, allows you to adjust the length of pull quickly depending on situation/clothing, and if your running optics, the magpul stocks allow for a cheek rest that snap into place (rock solid, looks like it belongs there, comes in 3 sizes: .25, .50, .75").

I also like the Magpul stock with the extended buttpad. I used to have the KVar NATO stock (which has no cushion) and I felt like I was getting beat up.

s12sights9.jpg

jrmock

Nice and simple. I like it.

Is that the Vltor tube? If so, is that as far as the stock can collapse? I know the Vltor has that little "ramp" near the receiver, and won't allow the stock to collapse all the way to the rear of the receiver. But I've been curious about how far it can collapse.

I also like the Magpul stock with the extended buttpad. I used to have the KVar NATO stock (which has no cushion) and I felt like I was getting beat up.

s12sights9.jpg

jrmock

Nice and simple. I like it.

Is that the Vltor tube? If so, is that as far as the stock can collapse? I know the Vltor has that little "ramp" near the receiver, and won't allow the stock to collapse all the way to the rear of the receiver. But I've been curious about how far it can collapse.

It is the EMA/CAA stock. I don't think it is fully collapsed in that picture. I think it can go in another click. Actually the stock hits the rear tang before it hits the rear of the receiver. I always run mine somewhere in the middle. All the way in is really short.

jrmock

Since you stated you're not interested in folders, and as a general statement I think that train of though has some merits based on what you look at, I've found that certain stocks balance out certain guns based on what else has been done. In general, on a bare bone conversion with the standard handguard I like the standard KVAR plastic AK stock. I like the ACE if it's fixed to the receiver block.. Best compromise in my mind, especially if your gun is front heavy, is a AR version on a CAA or Vltor tube. AR stocks allow for easy length adjustment for personal preference, have several different stocks you can mount on the tube, and I can't speak for the Vltor tube, but the CAA tube is hollow, so you can install a mercury tube, lead shot, or whatever if you want to change the balance. You mentioned wood AK stocks in your post-Wood AK stocks are a dime a dozen depending on what you want and can be found easily on most any AK forum for sale section, or at places like KVAR, Copes, APEX, etc. Ironwood here in the U.S. makes really nice stuff and counts as a compliance part but typically cost a bit more than surplus.