Stock Options

I also like the Magpul stock with the extended buttpad. I used to have the KVar NATO stock (which has no cushion) and I felt like I was getting beat up.

s12sights9.jpg

jrmock

Nice and simple. I like it.

Is that the Vltor tube? If so, is that as far as the stock can collapse? I know the Vltor has that little "ramp" near the receiver, and won't allow the stock to collapse all the way to the rear of the receiver. But I've been curious about how far it can collapse.

It is the EMA/CAA stock. I don't think it is fully collapsed in that picture. I think it can go in another click. Actually the stock hits the rear tang before it hits the rear of the receiver. I always run mine somewhere in the middle. All the way in is really short.

jrmock

Thanks for the info. I ask because I'm might be adding a second top shelf to my safe, and the S12 is the longest gun I own (well, it will be when I finally get another stock for it), so I'm looking for max collapsibility for storage. Thanks again for the info.

(BTW, "collapsibility" is a new word I just made up. :lolol: )

Are the VLTOR tubes aluminum or a polymer? And does it really matter, considering weight and strength? I'm looking for some "collapsibility," and I like the watertight storage compartment (for fire-starting materials, cleaning stuff, batteries if I need em), so I'm probably going get a Magpul stock from CSS.

Speaking of Ironwood, yes they make nice stuff; I have some of their teak guards and grip one one of my Yugos.

And yes the ability to deliver a decent buttstroke if needed is important; something I traded for portability with my underfolders (and for a thicker AK receiver and barrel).

Thanks for your input.

I'll play regarding AR/M-4 type buttstocks as I run an EMA tube with a Magpul buttstock on my S-12, and an AK. My Mossberg wears a Knoxx Spec Ops stock which is M-4ish. And of course, my AR carbine wears one. The telescoping stock does have a purpose and there is a reason he U.S. Military adopted them. It allows LOP adjustment for various conditions, clothing, armor, as well as allowing the carbine more compactness and manuverability in confined areas. The cleaning kit wrapped in a small rag fits in the EMA tube BTW.

For the AK purists, it's cool you got your wood or authentic Warsaw Pact furniture and the guns look good. There must be some reason other military units are using AR type "crap" as pictured on this Polish Special Forces AK photographed in Afghanistan. :angel:

polishsfak4qt6.jpg

Anybody ever use a TAPCO Original AK style stock on their S12? How is the versatility vs. the factory Monte Carlo? I am looking into getting the tapco if it is a little shorter but if it is just as long then it would be a waste of my $. I want a solid (cheap) non folding butt stock.

As to the AR tubes. Which is better? VLTOR or the CAA? I know the VLTOR is milspec and the other is commercial. I am wanting one of these with a Magpul MOE and thick stock pad.

I now have both the CAA & VLTOR AK tubes, both are well designed/manufactured and both mount solidly.

Minor differences in tube storage cap, sling attachments, how the end of the receiver is closed off, and in tube sizing.

I prefer the VLTOR's screw in storage cap and quick release sling studs, to the CAA.

CAA tube is Commercial diameter, has two rings for snap clip sling attachments and a rubber plug for it's storage compartment.

VLTOR tube is MilSpec diameter, has two QD sling mounts and a screw in plug for it's storage compartment.

VLTOR also comes with three different sized spacers, to fill in the gap at the back of your specific stamped receiver.

Depending on which tube you choose, get the right sized stock for it, i.e. MilSpec vs Comm.

I've the VLTOR with EMOD on my S12.

And I've the CAA with MagPul MOE on my 7.62x39.

100_7890.jpg

100_9102.jpg

Is that the Vltor tube? If so, is that as far as the stock can collapse? I know the Vltor has that little "ramp" near the receiver, and won't allow the stock to collapse all the way to the rear of the receiver. But I've been curious about how far it can collapse.

You can see above ^^^ on my 7.62x39 how far the stock comes forward, pretty much the same with either VLTOR or CAA.

That little 'ramp' is the receiver's tang.

You can see above ^^^ on my 7.62x39 how far the stock comes forward, pretty much the same with either VLTOR or CAA.

That little 'ramp' is the receiver's tang.

<facepalm>

For some reason, I thought you needed to cut the tang for the Vltor to mount, so I was a little confused as to what the ramp was, thinking the tang had already been removed. Must have had a brainfart.

IMO, if you run a MOE/CTR stock and a Chaos rail (which is excellent, BTW), you'll want the riser if you desire a cheekweld that's anything like the one on an AR.

PB032968.jpg

PB032971.jpg

I have the exact same set up. Chaos extended rail and CTR, but with no cheek riser. I totally agree. Even though that rail is BA, it does sit up kinda high. I may invest soon. What height did you get? I know they make like 3 different height's for that stock (CTR/MOE).

How about customizing your own Stock. I customized my Stock. I did it so I could store items inside the stock, plus I like the way the Butt sits into my shoulder compared to a lot of the ready made stocks, I also shortened the stock to the exact length that felt comfortable for me with the recoil pad in place. With my Gun hanging on the Sling I can bring it up right on Target with no problem, everything falls right in place.

im012431.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

im012430.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Sumsky

Thats the pushbutton to unlatch the stock when it's folded against the trunnion. The actual cleaning kit is in the trapdoor which only opens when you push it in, the kit can't walk out from the inside on its own.

Z

*pic of Midnaite's S-12 with factory AK-100 folder*

Thats pretty tough looking. :smoke: Definatly would want one like that on my team.

Looks like acleaning kit hanging out of the stock .. seems these stocks alway puke out the kit under recoil. I presume thats what it is like other AKs

have.

That's not a cleaning kit; that's the button that releases the front latch when you want to unfold the stock. It compresses when shouldered, so it causes no discomfort. ;)

You can see the little door that houses the cleaning kit "above", (higher on the butt, to the left of the button in Midnaite's pic), the folding latch button.

I've got a couple AK-100 folding stock kits, (all parts including mounting block, hinge, and hardware). I'm seriously considering having one installed in my S-12. I'll probably just keep my "fugly" Ace stock though, since it works, (quite well, actually), and it's already in place. We'll see. :unsure:

I ordered the EMA/CAA stock tube from CSS last week. Nice and solid construction. I'm waiting for my Magpul MOE commercial stock to arrive from CSS as well as the extended stock pad and a molot style grip. I would have gotten the VLTOR but they were out of stock again.

Edited by RABIDFOX50

IMO, if you run a MOE/CTR stock and a Chaos rail (which is excellent, BTW), you'll want the riser if you desire a cheekweld that's anything like the one on an AR.

PB032968.jpg

PB032971.jpg

I have the exact same set up. Chaos extended rail and CTR, but with no cheek riser. I totally agree. Even though that rail is BA, it does sit up kinda high. I may invest soon. What height did you get? I know they make like 3 different height's for that stock (CTR/MOE).

I went with the 3/4" riser as the Chaos added approx. 1" over the original sights. It works great for me! With the Vltor tube and a MOE (with the thickest (1/2"?) "recoil pad") on position #1, the LOP and and reach to the grip is exactly the same as my RRA AR on position #2 (I shoot "nose to charging handle). BTW, the color of the riser and the MOE match; the cam flash/lighting made them look a little different. Also, the riser fits TIGHT! I was going to take "before/after" pics with a tape measure in the picture, but I gave up getting the riser off for fear of scratching something up! I guess a person could get itoff, but it's NOT going to fall off!

Edited by mammynun
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...