Crush washers for threaded muzzles. CHEAP!

I have an AMD65 brake headed my way to put on those lovely 14mmL threads I found under my shroud. I looked around for crush washers to index it correctly. Dinzag is out, but you can get 5/8" AR10 crush washers from Midway USA, etc for about $4 and shipping, usually about $6 shipping. Then it dawned on me: Many spark plugs have 14mm threaded shanks that screw into the block. plugs that are non-taper seated have very nice, compact 14mm crush washers on them. Ran by O'Reilly's Auto parts and got a lawnmower plug for $2. When you look at a plug, usually the first number tells you if it is 13 mm or 14, on a car plug. 14 mm RN45Y. The 4 denotes 14mm thread. Lawnmower is a little different, but 4 still means 14mm. Mine was something like an 844-1.

ANyway, should be good for about most of a half turn to index your threaded brake,

Edited by imarangemaster

Detent is the way to go if you cut the shroud all the way back to the FSB. Some 14mm L flash hiders and brakes can not accommodate that long of a threaded area, though. That's why folks use locktite when they cut the shroud only half way. Crush washer is a better alternative when the shroud is not cut all the way back.

Here is a picture of the AMD65 brake using a 14mm spark plug crush washer to index it. Cut the shroud back half way using a hose clamp as a guide and a dremel cut-off wheel, smoothed it a little with a safe side file, opened up the inside of the crush washer at tad with a round file, to let it go on easier, then screwed the AMD65 brake down with my hand until snug. Finally took a wrench and turned it half turn to line up. Washer worked perfect. Touched it all up with some rustoleum high temp stove paint.

post-14200-0-67595700-1288638461_thumb.jpg

That looks good, I was gonna go that route, but my problem was on one of my SAR 1's and it already had a detent pin hole but the detent pin and spring were MIA so I just made one. If I do a Saiga in X39 I may go this route instead of modding or changing the FSB.

I even posted a thread questioning where to get a crush washer but Nalioth showed me the error of my ways. Good info either way.

Keep us posted about how it holds up at the range.

If I had one with the hole for the index pin, I would go that way too. Unfortunately, if you cut the Saiga shroud back all the way to the FSB (actually even more than about 1/2 way) the threads are too deep for most 14mm L flash hiders and brakes. Neither my AMD65 brake or the Tapco M16A1 style birdcage type FH could thread much deeper than this is.

Edited by imarangemaster

Then it dawned on me: Many spark plugs have 14mm threaded shanks that screw into the block. plugs that are non-taper seated have very nice, compact 14mm crush washers on them.

Believe you can also use oil pan drain plug crush washers.

I tried the oil pan ones, they don't crush enough to be of any use. At least the ones I tried didn't.

• Like 1

The nice thing about spark plug washers is that you can get almost a full turn of crush from them. Mine turned snug by hand just shy of being correct. I used a wrench to turn it 1/2+ turn, lined up sweet and is VERY tight. No lock tight.