I was looking for a 22 and I picked up the 10/22 and that was it. I didn't even know what I was holding at the time.

I will love and have sex with my 10/22. Unless you are going for match accuracy out of the box then get one and have sex with it.

• Like 1

I was looking for a 22 and I picked up the 10/22 and that was it. I didn't even know what I was holding at the time.

I will love and have sex with my 10/22. Unless you are going for match accuracy out of the box then get one and have sex with it.

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kinda serious though. Love my 10/22's.

Owning a 10/22 and having spent extensive (excessive) time with the Marlin Glenfield, my vote is for the 10/22 if only because I do not like rimfire rifles with tubular magazines. Fun plinker but tedious to reload.

I'm going to be the black sheep and put in a vote for a Marlin, but specifically a Marlin 795. The tubular mags on the 60 are a pain... the 795's removable 10-rounders solve that problem.

IMO the Marlin 795 is a better out of the box rifle. More accurate, costs less, and has a BHO. I've only cleaned it once since I bought it and the only stoppages have been ammo related.

The Ruger will feel more substantial, and have way more OEM parts (including hi-cap mags). But I HATE the Ruger's toggle bolt lock and lack of BHO. Nothing wrong with a Ruger mind you, I have both and it's a fine little 22. But once I slapped some Tech Sights on the Marlin I hardly ever take the Ruger out anymore.

IMO the Marlin 795 is a better out of the box rifle. More accurate, costs less, and has a BHO...But I HATE the Ruger's toggle bolt lock and lack of BHO.

I don't know know what the fascination is with a BHO. My AKs don't have one, and since my 10/22 is an "understudy" rifle, I like for it to behave similar to the AKs. It doesn't need a BHO or bolt release. Besides, the BHO interferes with dry firing, which is an important training technique.

As far as the bolt lock goes, I admit it was annoying at first, but now I can release it with one hand without even thinking about it.

I agree that the Marlin 795 is the better rifle out of the box, but the Ruger is better for my purposes. It is also more customizable (which may be important to some people).

Edited by Jim Digriz

Ahhhhhhhahahahahaha. WTF. :lolol: :lolol:

That's going in my sig.

Well I know there was some heavy Ruger fans, but I stopped by to fondle a 10/22 for $250 when I looked down to an old Marlin model 60....$50 plus a yr warranty...I was pleasantly surprised I fit 18 in the tube with room for 20 if I stress the plunger...lol thats a great deal imho...sry I guess my Ruger sex will have to wait...lol Ran 100 rounds through it on the farm and not 1 hiccup...plus every shot was in the three inner circles about 1 1/2 inch on a 50 foot target at 50 yards...I was very happy...so I looked around and popped a rabbit at about 35 yards...roasted rabbit on the grill smells great...

Edited by DJ Big Dog

Well I know there was some heavy Ruger fans, but I stopped by to fondle a 10/22 for $250 when I looked down to an old Marlin model 60....$50 plus a yr warranty...I was pleasantly surprised I fit 18 in the tube with room for 20 if I stress the plunger...lol thats a great deal imho...sry I guess my Ruger sex will have to wait...lol Ran 100 rounds through it on the farm and not 1 hiccup...plus every shot was in the three inner circles about 1 1/2 inch on a 50 foot target at 50 yards...I was very happy...so I looked around and popped a rabbit at about 35 yards...roasted rabbit on the grill smells great...

Rabbit is so tasty!

Ahhhhhhhahahahahaha. WTF. :lolol: :lolol:

That's going in my sig.

I'm honored.

My one only .22lr, is my Marlin Model 60.

I bought'er about 17yrs ago, have countless rounds thru'er, and shes still a tackdriver.

Last trip to the range with'er a Mockingbird landed atop my target @ 100yrds, birdy went bye bye with a headshot.

Still using the cheap Tasco 3-9x40 scope that came with it originally, made when Tasco translated into 'Highly Under Rated Quality Jap Optics for Very Few American Dollars'... Too bad Tasco is now just crap.

Edited by ChileRelleno

I vote for the 10/22. Got a Marlin in the safe too but I really like the reputation and the wide variety of options for the Ruger. Ruger is also a great company to deal with. I have my 10/22 in a Krinker Plinker AK kit and really like it. Great rifle.

Don't get me wrong, I might still end up with a ruger if I wanted to mall ninja it out...lol I just couldn't pass up the Marlin for that price...and like I said I got to the farm shot 50 or so rounds into the center 2 inches of a target at 50 yards then a bonus dinner...lol

I have a Marlin 60 and a 795, both are great rifles, THE ONLY problem with the 795 is that your limited to 10 rounds...I have not for the life of me been able to find a higher capacity mag for it....IF YOU FIND ONE LET ME KNOW!!!

And the Marlin's do have more accessories than you might think, you just have to search the interwebs... :cryss:

I have a Marlin 60 and a 795, both are great rifles, THE ONLY problem with the 795 is that your limited to 10 rounds...I have not for the life of me been able to find a higher capacity mag for it....IF YOU FIND ONE LET ME KNOW!!!

I find myself no longer using my high capacity Ruger 10/22 mags. It's not a fighting rifle, so it matters less to only load up with 10.

• 1 month later...

With around 5.7 Million 10/22s made in the last 40 years, with very little change to the design, I'd say they must be doing SOMETHING right or the design wouldn't still be so popular. The popularity of it also helps in finding replacement/repair parts if need be.

I have a Marlin Papoose rifle, and it's great, but I'd take the 10/22 over it any day.