Just wanted to do a quick check for my sake and for the sake of others posting on multiple boards, can anyone say which boards have a mutual exclusion policy on ads? Ie wich boards ask (quite reasonably so) that you not post an ad on their board that is also posted elsewhere?

Boards I'm familiar with are:

Gunsnet - mutually exclusive

S-12.com - No prob as far as I know, not highly moderated in any case

North American Gunrunners (MSN) - Crossadvertising allowed

Gunandgame - NO ADVERTISING except for site sponsors

Graybeardoutdoors.com - ?

Arf.com - ?

Akfiles/Falfiles - ?

Gunco.net - ?

Any others?

Mods please move or stick this thraed as you see fit.

here, you can post whatever you want to. it is a free country. if you post an ad as a manufacturer or as a business ad, it would be a decent thing to donate some money to the forum. dont have to, but its only the fair thing to do. web hosting isnt free, and traffic to and from this site to someone's place of business for business purposes should trigger something in said businessperson's mind that they might make a donation here to help out with costs.

you have the right to free enterprise. any forum that steps on that right should be unsubscribed to, and you should not return there. they are facist pricks obviously and not true americans.

so far, we havent had a lot of professional ads come up on here, and the owner of the forum (Makc) wants to avoid that whole thing. but this section of the forum is there for all of us to peddle our spare stuff, things we no longer wish to keep, and even for people to make a little bit of extra change. like i said, if you make money from an ad here, especially a standing ad to sell off stock, it is only right to make a donation from time to time to help cover the bill. In the future this may change.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like Gunsnet is the only exclusive listing. A lot of sites don't like linking to an auction (tho I don't know how actively they are checked?).

Thehighroad, arfcom, glocktalk, etc, etc, etc don't have an exclusive policy.

Of course, afaik, iirc, imo, cya, cya, cya :)

• 8 months later...

Suggestion- if your going to post a add to selling something have a price to go along with it, tired of seeing best offer gets it bullshit. There shouldn't be any of this silent auction crap if you posting a add. If you want a auction go to gunbroker.

Edited by setlab
  • 11 months later...

I'm waking up this old thread to say something long overdue!

I'm sick of seeing people drift through our cool little neck of the web here and making their first or second posting in the for sale section. Sometimes these people are familiar with the standard rule of most every gun forum I belong to and have visited. Sometimes not, as has been demonstrated twice now in one week and involved none other than myself and the only other active moderator. I shouldn't have to mention, that would spell BAN on the other popular gun forums...This is a very basic rule that states if you want to sell something, FIRST you put a price on it that everyone can see. None of this auction style shit like was mentioned above. Pictures are preferred but not required.

SECOND, and just as important, If someone sees your ad and says, IN THESE EXACT WORDS, "I'll take it", that means that person is very intersted in your item and they have first dibs on it. End of story. No exceptions. Go look on the other boards and see how they do it. It's the common writen or unwritten law on every gun forum!

Even if the person who calls dibs has a condition or an important question they need answered before they totally commit (this usually being due to a vague listing) they still have dibs. In this case the next person who sees this may opt to say "I'll take it if he doesn't want it". It's also common to send a PM immediately to the seller to inquire about the item if they have questions, or to go ahead and set up a payment plan and exchange personal info.

No more of this posting stuff for sale and saying call me or email me or send your mother in law over to tell my wife that you want it! If you advertise here in the forum...you sell here in the forum, period! You can say PM me for details but the sale was put to the public and needs to stay in the public eye for the benfit of all interested parties involved. For the record, "I'll take it" overrides "PM sent". If you really want the item then you had better make sure that you say I'll take it. If you are 90% sure, but need more info, you should say "I'll take it if..." and send a PM immediately to find out what you need to know.

If you get bombarded by PMs as soon as you post your ad and and someone jumps on it and buys it then it is YOUR responsibility to immediately go to your ad and post as such. It's also the person who sent that PM's responsibility to first post in the forum "PM SENT". That lets others know that there is somone ahead of them in line that is interested.

Once the sale is made you should go right to the ad and post that it's "sold pending funds" or similar. This lets everyone know there is no point in wasting their time unless they choose to still say "I'll take it if so and so falls thru".

These are very simple rules people. It's really just common decency. They have been put in place for good reason on all the forums that actually made them set rules, to bypass misunderstandings and arguments that arise regarding who gets what and who was first in line.

Don't make us put into law, like on some other forums, that you must have a minimum number of posts to be able to use the classifieds. This would keep some good deals from being had by our regular members.

ANY QUESTIONS? COMMENTS????

It seems a reasonable approach to have a clearly defined set of rules regarding the proper protocol in negotiating a sale here on the forum. The forum needs a mechanism set up whereby every newbie who registers must read these rules of the road and hopefully adheres to them. This should alleviate the frustrations of those who thought they were purchasing something and later feel they got screwed as the seller didn't abide by these few simple steps. The important thing is that everyone be aware of these courteous measures so the playing field is level and fair for everyone. We all want the forum to grow productively and foster participation to share the collective knowledge and experience for all to benefit.

Exactly. Well said Doc. I'm in the process of discussing this with the rest of the administrative team and will be posting soon about what comes of it.

This is a great forum, enjoyed by many, and if we can all go by the same rules it will continue to grow even better. One of the main things about this forum that sets it apart from the rest is the lack of governing power instated. Lets keep it that way.

Exactly. Well said Doc. I'm in the process of discussing this with the rest of the administrative team and will be posting soon about what comes of it.

This is a great forum, enjoyed by many, and if we can all go by the same rules it will continue to grow even better. One of the main things about this forum that sets it apart from the rest is the lack of governing power instated. Lets keep it that way.

When finalized or ratified, or whatever, that post needs to be stickied in the WTS/WTT thread. Any posts that don't meet those rules need to be removed immediately.

Good post.

There will soon be a new sticky in the WTS/WTT sections. We've been discussing it with Makc and he has some ideas that will help keep the fly by night posters out. (who are the ones causing most of the problems and don't contribute any time, knowlege, or money to use our forum)

Another potential problem is crossposting as BRG3 pointed out. Just today, it happened again, I was first here to speak up for something, posted "ill take it" and was informed later that part of what I wanted was already sold...to someone on another forum!

Cross posting is a touchy issue. I can entirely understand that cross-posting can leave people in very frustrating situations. However, the ONLY forum to ban cross-posting in the past has been Gunsnet. They have since lifted that ban. They must have felt that being the definitive gun site meant that people would still post there for the largest audience. Since they've driven so many people away, they have apparently realized that they won't get anything worth anyone's attention if they exclude those who post elsewhere.

The problem with banning cross-posting is that when nobody else bans cross-posting, you suddenly become the only forum that people DON'T post stuff for sale on. Why post on a mutual exclusion forum when you can post on five others? This is particularly dangerous for a smaller forum, no matter how good of a small forum it is, because if any forum is to get skipped it would be the smaller and more narrowly focused ones. If anything, allowing cross-posting benefits the smaller forums because they get the attention of sellers.

I also have to disagree with the position that an inquiry that come first trumps a firm commitment that comes later. If you can respond to the inquiry and answer the question quickly and get a final commitment quickly that's great, but sometimes it can take days to answer all the questions since some people check only once a day and not at the same time as others. To have the item automatically reserved to that person could easily drive another committed buyer to a different deal, and then if the inquirer doesn't like the answer the seller is out of a sale.

Of course if in the seller's judgement the first inquiry is firm enough to hold it for him, I don't see anything wrong with going that way. Point being it's up to the seller to decide whose interest is firm enough and how to order "dibs." What's critical is that he be consistent.

I'm also a major proponent of having clear rules. People on this forum have asked for them repeatedly, and the recurring answer from mods is that we don't want to have rules, "just don't be a d-ck like McUzi". The danger there is that people are judged by popular opinion and very much ex-post-facto, instead of by their compliance with defined forum rules.

What's most important though is that these be the right rules, chosen carefully and not in too much reaction to one situation or another.

For example, in the recent examples cited I'm concerned about potential conflicts of interest, ie when the mods themselves are major buyers and sellers here. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, hence it being only a "potential" conflict of interest.

But here's a scenario to consider:

Mods are usually present on a forum more than anyone else. That's how it should be. There are maybe a few other people who seem like they're on the boards 24/7. Each forum has their own group. The potential conflict of interest with banning cross posting is if, theoretically, the mods on this forum banned cross posting so that another forum's 24/7 posters didn't have the same access as they did. In essence, always claiming "first dibs" for themselves.

Here's the opposing situation - mine. I offer extremely diverse items each of which only about 1/1million would ever want, some of which sit on my shelves for quite some time. Cross posting is the difference between selling and not reaching enough of an audience to be worth doing it at all. If this forum banned cross posting, I'd only be posting Saiga stuff here, because the general AK stuff would be better placed on other forums with a wider audience.

Let me reiterate that I don't mean any suspecion towards the mods. What I'm talking about doing is keeping as far from a compromising situation as possible. That doesn't mean being reactionary the other way either. Just about keeping a fair, competitive standard that protects this forum and its members and also gives someone a reason to post here.

Case in point: I was the treasurer of a campus group that received donation money. Often times an expense had to be paid by me and then reimbursed. There were two people with signing priviledges and whenever I was written a check we had the other person review the expense and sign the check. It's a check and balance that we have because we care about integrity and the unfailing appearance of it, instead of always asking people to trust us.

• Chatbox

Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.