Anyone have a brake on their 308?

If so can you post a pic and tell me if it make the gun louder?

I don't have one as of yet but I've read that the bolt on: http://store.carolin...iga-308/Detail. Works pretty well for muzzle climb and flash suppression with noise directed forward. I have an FSC hider/brake on my m4 and it's loud as hell only being a .223. The standard birdcage that comes on the m4 isn't terribly load. I have two 74 brakes on my 2 7.62x39's and they aren't bad either(24mmx1.5)

Edited by AZG

If so can you post a pic and tell me if it make the gun louder?

I have a 74 style brake on my .308 & it's a noise amplifier. It's a US copy I picked up years ago with 14 mm threads, but it's very loud to shoot indoors. I had it permanently attached to my barrel as it was shortened to 14", & the FSB was pushed back against the gas block. Looks good though. GARY N4VE

I use a modded SVD FH.

Thats crazy when your Flash hider/sight cost almost as much as the rifle. :-P

Just kidding. Sweet looking saiga. One of these days I'll get myself an SVD sight/hider and maybe buy another saiga to use it on lol.

Got that one some years ago when the price wasn't quite as stupid as they are now.

Here you go fella!

post-24335-0-22395800-1288721997_thumb.jpg

Dont really notice an increase in noise, just a decrease in recoil.

Very nice. Is it threaded 24mm x 1.5?

Why yes it is. Thanks.

Specs:

Dinzag:

FCG

modified OD green Kvar ware

modified gas tube

74 FSB

bolt on lower HG retainer

AK103.com 74 Brake made for 308

modified cleaning rod

MD Malot Grip

and a sissy butt pad ;) works great!

I am in the middle of my Saiga 308 conversion now. Just ordered a 5/8 x 24 die and TAT from Dinzag. Removing the FSB and boring it wasn't a lot of trouble. My barrel is .670, but I am going to carefully turn it down myself.

I'm planning on using a muzzle brake made by Robinson Armament, which they offer on their 6.8 and 7.62 x 39 XCR barrels. I remember seeing a similar brake on VEPRs that came from RA.

Is it generally agreed that you only need to thread about 5/8 of the barrel?

FSC30 from primary weapon systems, works great in reducing muzzle climb but makes it very loud. I have it on my 16" and I get dirty looks from people at the other tables at the range. Got mine installed by tac47 industries and when keith told me it dropped the recoil to 7.62x39 levels I couldn't believe it until I tried it out myself.

Edited for close up pic of brake.

post-16002-0-01244800-1288971990_thumb.jpg

post-16002-0-53998200-1288972429_thumb.jpg

Edited by XXasdf

Hello

I use the same brake/semi-hider on at least a couple of my 16" S-.308's and I like 'em a lot. Don't know how much flash hidin' takes place, but I do think they're effective at reducing muzzle climb and recoil.

To hell with those sissies with less-than-adequate hearing protection at the range anyway.

JMHO....

-guido

FSC30 from primary weapon systems, works great in reducing muzzle climb but makes it very loud. I have it on my 16" and I get dirty looks from people at the other tables at the range. Got mine installed by tac47 industries and when keith told me it dropped the recoil to 7.62x39 levels I couldn't believe it until I tried it out myself.

Edited for close up pic of brake.

I have the FSC30, but have been using a Yankee Hill Machine Phantom flash hider for the hunting season, because I don't want to deafen my hunting partners. I'll be trying out the FSC30 at the range this Sunday for the first time. Looking forward to seeing just how effective and loud this mean-looking thing is.

I have the FSC30, but have been using a Yankee Hill Machine Phantom flash hider for the hunting season, because I don't want to deafen my hunting partners. I'll be trying out the FSC30 at the range this Sunday for the first time. Looking forward to seeing just how effective and loud this mean-looking thing is.

The .308 Phantom is pretty big, isn't it? For a flash hider, it seems like they could have made it similar in size to the 1/2 x 28 versions for 5.56.

The .308 Phantom is pretty big, isn't it? For a flash hider, it seems like they could have made it similar in size to the 1/2 x 28 versions for 5.56.

Yeah. Big and heavy.

Yeah. Big and heavy.

Probably no bigger than the AK-74 brake, but for some reason I think the AK-74's brake is acceptable. On my 6.8 and 308 AR's, I have run several hiders and brakes, but I avoided the phantom because it made already large guns that much longer. I have a A2-style flash hider that seems to work well on 6.8 and .308 16" barrels. I may stick that on my Saiga .308 at some point. I still haven't even shot it yet, but I remember my 7.62 x 39 Saiga kicking significantly harder than I expected, which was fixed by a bulgy 24 x 1.5 FSB and K-var AK-74 style brake. I got that gun all AK-103'd (except no side folder) and then Arsenal started releasing the factory converted Saiga's. Mine was no longer special. :(

Tried the FSC30 for the first time today. Wow! Very impressed. Recoil and muzzle climb does seem to be reduced to 7.62x39 mm weapon without a muzzle attachment levels. I didn't find it to be very loud when shooting the weapon - only when standing next to someone else shooting it. I'll take more detailed pics and make videos later. Even the little Russian girl I took shooting commented that the recoil was mild for such a "big gun":

post-10789-0-11078700-1289171327_thumb.jpg

Edited by SpetsnazGRU
  • Like 1

I cut my 22" barrel back to 16" and recrowned / threaded it for an adapter so I could use this 22mm 74 brake (brake was opened up a little). It shoots great and not that much louder from what I can tell. The brake works great!

post-1293-0-50705300-1289192899_thumb.jpg

Thanks dinzag for the parts and the custom work he did on my FSB.:super:

• Like 1

When I bought the DPMS the only review I had 'heard' was that people on the left/right may get annoyed as the gases vent that way..

Your brake is very similar with 3 slots on the left/right..

Congrats.. the recoil KICK is dimished on mine IMHO too..

That being said, I dont think the noise issue should really be a problem reguardless if whomever is using proper hearing protecting. I just remember feeling the pressure when I first fired it on my .223, Great Brake/Hider

• 2 weeks later...

I cut my 22" barrel back to 16" and recrowned / threaded it for an adapter so I could use this 22mm 74 brake (brake was opened up a little). It shoots great and not that much louder from what I can tell. The brake works great!

post-1293-0-50705300-1289192899_thumb.jpg

Thanks dinzag for the parts and the custom work he did on my FSB.:super:

That is a nice rifle. I am thinking of cutting my 21" barrel to 18" and doing same brake and sight work.

Very nice rifle .