tri-rail wouldn't fit together...

I got my tri-rail for my S12 on Wednesday. It's a beautiful piece and it fits my gun perfectly. However, I was surprised that I had to file and reshape the mounting areas for the upper spacers so I could bolt them down. The holes were slightly misaligned so the spacers would not fit into their notch in the handrail. I used a needle file move the shoulder that's just to the outside of each bolt hole on the lower rail back slightly, and the upper pieces fit ok now. Has anyone else had to do this?

Sorry for the vague explanation... unfortunately I can't post pictures using the browser on my phone. I'm looking to replace my old, sick, screen-cracked laptop shortly. Here is a link to the picture:

http://m1120.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/JoeAldrich/2010-11-02232028.jpg.html

The light reflecting off the aluminum makes it tough to see, but the area I had to file is the vertical shoulder that runs parallel with the mounting bolts. It was interfering with the shoulder on the upper pieces and causing them to lean towards the barrel and wedge against the gas block before the screws were fully tightened. I have done some more work to it though, and I think I have everything fitting correctly. One upper side has to be removed to take the handguard off, right? If not, I need to keep filing to get more clearance. Thank you very much for your time, this tri-rail is excellent and even if I need to spend another hour on it, I will be a very happy customer.

Sorry for the vague explanation... unfortunately I can't post pictures using the browser on my phone. I'm looking to replace my old, sick, screen-cracked laptop shortly. Here is a link to the picture:

http://m1120.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/JoeAldrich/2010-11-02232028.jpg.html

The light reflecting off the aluminum makes it tough to see, but the area I had to file is the vertical shoulder that runs parallel with the mounting bolts. It was interfering with the shoulder on the upper pieces and causing them to lean towards the barrel and wedge against the gas block before the screws were fully tightened. I have done some more work to it though, and I think I have everything fitting correctly. One upper side has to be removed to take the handguard off, right? If not, I need to keep filing to get more clearance. Thank you very much for your time, this tri-rail is excellent and even if I need to spend another hour on it, I will be a very happy customer.

I see the area you're referring to now, I have never had any reported problems with the sides having any problem fitting. Actually if you would like to send it back I'll replace it, so you don't have to work on the other side, plus I kinda would like to check it out, your call.

I've already done both sides, but the other side wasn't as bad. I'm not too worried about replacing it, but if you would like to check it out I can ship it back. If you can mill it back a little more and make it fit better that would be cool too. I'm not too worried about the black finish on the inside of the mounting pads.

• 6 months later...