with the amount of .410 shells I burn through, and the cost of new ammo. I was thinking about reloading my own. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good qaulity reloading press and dies. I already reload all my own .223 .308 .30-06 .9mm 5.7x28 45acp 45LC 38special and 38 super, but haven't gotten into shotshells yet. Any help would be appreciated.

I would recommend the MEC 600 Junior mark V. It will be about $150.00 ish depending on WHERE you purchase. I got my second at Bass pro. I had to pay sales tax, but I did not have to pay shipping... About an even trade, and NO WAITING.

It is a RUGGED, SIMPLE, and EASY unit to set up and use! It is easy to adjust, and easy to change between shell sizes. ( 2.5", 2.75", 3")

It is virtually set up out of the box. Adjust the height bolt, pour powder and shot into the canisters, insert your bushing into the appropriate bar, and start loading! LOL

You *WILL* need different bushings and bars for load weights, and powder measures, but they are not overly expensive, and you really only need the bars for the loads you plan to use, not ALL loads, if you dont want to.

That is how *I* would go about doing the 410. YMMV, FWIW, IMHO, ... etc.. LOL

:smoke:

Hey, Thanks Indy. The shot shells are new to me. Does this press come with "all the dies", I keep seeing where some have 3 crimp dies and god knows what else. Crap, how big would a shell plate be for all the dies? :) I see some that says you have to prime each shell seperate then load. When I looked at a progessive press, my ass puckered up really bad, hell, for that much $$$$, I could buy a butt load of new shells, but I couldn't get them loaded like I want to blast that crows ass flying over the hill. I know, don't say just use the S12, that's no fun anymore, the .410 makes it more sporting. This afternoon, I had a crow stop dead ass in the air, back up and dive to his right to avoid the shots, all 15 of them. These bastards should be flying F18's for us, I was a little early with the shots, and figured he'd fly into them, but he was faster.

I saw that press on Midway and Grafs, but don't know anything about them.

Thanks,

termite

They come all set up from the factory. obviously they are set up for a common load.

Stick the empty hull in the deprimer, pull the handle. Deprimed, and brass resized.

Place a primer in the cup, move the hull to that station... Pull the handle. Primed.

Place the hull in the next station, pull handle down - slide bar to left - powder charged, release handle, insert wad, pull handle down and hold, slide bar to right - shot charged.

Move hull to next station, pull handle. pre-crimped.

Move hull to last station, pull handle, FINISHED. A perfect shell every time!

Once your press is set up, and your powder bushing is proper, and you have the correct wads for the load you want... it is THAT simple to reload a hull. You can do a box of 25 in less than 5 minutes.

ONE POINT OF NOTE...

Mount the press inside an old cookie sheet on the bench. You *WILL* slide the bar at the wrong time and dump either powder or shot all over the place, and that will limit the amount you have to chase all over the floor when it happens! :lol::up:

Indy,

UPS delivered the press today, I got it set up and deprimed and primed about 100 shells. I don't have any wads or shot, as of yet. Do you have any thoughts as to powder, recommended loads or such. About all I can find for the 3" shells is on Hodgdon's site. I know that you can use a bunch of different powders, but Alliant only list loads for 2 1/2" shells. Steer me in the right direction, I need to get some loaded up, I busted another raccoon on the back deck last night.

Termite

whatever they say is the way to go... Win 296 is a good 410 powder.

I dont reload the 410 yet... so all I can recommend is the loads that are listed on the sites...

hodgedons h110 is supposed to be good for the 410, its the same as win 296. i used to use it for my desert eagle .50 ae. the reload data is the same for both powders.

• Like 1

The H110 is what I'm gonna get on Friday, also have some charging bars and powder bushings coming. The bushings look to be simple to make, I've got a bunch of aluminum stock at the shop, I just may try and make a few and see what I get, but will have to check on reamers or an adjustable reamer to step the hole size up few .001's at a time. This may turn out to be fun. Thanks. :)

If you can machine your own bushings... you will be TOTALLY hooked up. They are just a culinder with a lip on the top... thats it... just got a specific diameter hole in them to allow only so much poder to fit in... different powders will fill the same bushing differently... so you just need to figure out what size hole for the load and powder you want, and you are good to go!

If you could make the charge bars out of square aluminum stock... those would be REALLY easy to make too!!! just drill two holes, and put a lip inside one of them, and machine and thread the hole in front for the retention screw.... DONE!

Makes me wish I had a machine shop! :up: