? about ammo I found.

I don't know what the markings mean at all. I would open it up and see if it's steel core though. That's just me.

How can you tell steel core Chinese from simply looking at it?

It's completely coated with copper.

Maybe check it with a magnet, but isn't all the .39 Chinese ammo steel core?

http://pnwguns.com/ammo/604-7-62x39-chinese-steel-core-ap-ammo.html

Edited by Paulyski

If I remember correctly, all Chinese military ammo is steel core, especially if it is copper washed case and projectile. All Chinese surplus ammo is corrosive. Not an issue with a Saiga because chrome lined bore, chamber, and piston. Do clean it with warm soapy water, though (especially the gas tube - us a 20 gauge shotgun brush), then wipe dry and lube.

With ammo prices as low as they are, and desirable as Chinese steel core ammo in spam can is, I would leave it sealed as long term back up ammo.

The "56" at the beginning means "Type 56 rifle" CHinese designation for AKs, the "550" is the number of rounds.

Edited by imarangemaster

Isn't all Chinese ammo from that era that comes in sealed tins steel core? I remember reading someplace that all of the old Chinese sealed 550rd tins with 10rd stippers wrapped in paper were steel core. I would hold onto it and pick up some other shit to plink with. I came across some 80's Chinese steel core a while back at a garage sale as well. 240 rounds for 10 bucks. :super:

Edit - found a link:

http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/762x39_cartridge.html

Some of their info isn't 100% accurate, but you can see what I'm talking about there if you scroll down.

Edited by KC913

If I remember correctly, all Chinese military ammo is steel core, especially if it is copper washed case and projectile. All Chinese surplus ammo is corrosive. Not an issue with a Saiga because chrome lined bore, chamber, and piston. Do clean it with warm soapy water, though (especially the gas tube - us a 20 gauge shotgun brush), then wipe dry and lube.

With ammo prices as low as they are, and desirable as Chinese steel core ammo in spam can is, I would leave it sealed as long term back up ammo.

The "56" at the beginning means "Type 56 rifle" CHinese designation for AKs, the "550" is the number of rounds.

Not true This is steel core non-corrosive... DSCN0067.jpg

Also the salt from the primer will corrode chrome lined barrels if left on long enough..... Good advice to clean after you shoot.....

Thanks for the info guys.

I thought it might be kind of rare nowdays.

I would hate to just burn it up running drills, if it is something that somebody would appreciate more than me.

I used up some of my ammo buying money to get this can, and am low on rounds for practice.

If I don't get to the range soon, I may go crazy. Just got my Saiga deneutered--it is hungry-- but my sks went and gobbled up all it's food.:cryss:

I would hate to just burn it up running drills, if it is something that somebody would appreciate more than me.

I used up some of my ammo buying money to get this can, and am low on rounds for practice.

If I don't get to the range soon, I may go crazy. Just got my Saiga deneutered--it is hungry-- but my sks went and gobbled up all it's food.:cryss:

Well if you want to sell it and get some of that ammo money back, I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem getting rid of it. :up:

Early Norinco Ammo, copper washed steel core.

post-10574-0-40593500-1288817642_thumb.jpg

That ammo in the 550 count cans were meant for the SKS rifles, so it would be packed on 10 stripper clips. 2 strippers at 20 Rds wrapped in paper, one with 3 clips at 30 Rds.

post-10574-0-88602700-1288818669_thumb.jpg

You can read the can like this;

Top row - Caliber, Bullet type, Case type, Quantity

2nd row - Cartridge lot series and lot number

3rd row - Production date, Factory, Powder lot/Powder production year, Powder source code

Also, it's banned from importation because it's been classified as armor piercing pistol ammo (draco I assume?) So, I think it's be a travesty to shoot paper with it. It is kinda rare.

Kinda like when I got to the "range" (/woods) a while back & blew through 17 rounds of Extreme Shock AFR in my G-17 before realizing I hadn't changed my SD mag out yet. <_<

I fealt kinda dumb after that one. :bag:

Not true This is steel core non-corrosive... DSCN0067.jpg

Also the salt from the primer will corrode chrome lined barrels if left on long enough..... Good advice to clean after you shoot.....

If you read my post, I said ALL "SURPLUS AMMO IS CORROSIVE"(meaning military surplus), That is not "surplus" it is Chinese Commercial. OH, BTW, I know someone who about ruined a Galil in the late 80s or early 90s by shooting "non-corrosive" commercial Chinese .223 in it and not cleaning it. Many M1 Carbines have been ruined with Chinese "LC52" carbine ammo which was sold commercially. If it is Chinese, CLEAN IT!

Yellow, green and blue boxes were early imports packaged for commercial sales, majority were still steel core. Silver, black and red boxes were marked lead core. China didn't start making lead core for commercial export till around 1988. You can see their packaging got better as their marketing did.

post-10574-0-91309200-1288823104_thumb.jpgpost-10574-0-29146500-1288823111_thumb.jpg

Edit to add- non-corrosive??? LOL my ass

Edited by akastormi

If you read my post, I said ALL "SURPLUS AMMO IS CORROSIVE"(meaning military surplus), That is not "surplus" it is Chinese Commercial. OH, BTW, I know someone who about ruined a Galil in the late 80s or early 90s by shooting "non-corrosive" commercial Chinese .223 in it and not cleaning it. Many M1 Carbines have been ruined with Chinese "LC52" carbine ammo which was sold commercially. If it is Chinese, CLEAN IT!

Commercial ammo? In China? no such a thing, civilians do not carry or own in China only the military or police. It is, as far as I know, all surplus just a different packaging to appease the foreigners....

Actually they did/do make commercial ammo for export. They have no military 223 or 30 carbine, but made it and sold it. China Sports had an export factory for ammo. It had English head stamps, as did their 223 and 7.62x39 (I know because I had Norinco/China Sports ammo in 7.62x39 and it had English headstamps. Chinese military would not issue ammo with English head stamps. State run industries made big bucks from us, first with ammo in the 80s and early 90s, then with POly Tech and Norinco AKs, and even soft steel UZi clones and a decent 1911A1 copy. Now with cowboy action shotgun clones (1893s, 1897s, 1887s, and various double barreled 12 ga.

Edited by imarangemaster

I sure would like to know what dictionaries you guys read... Surplus "excess of"... Commercial "Engaged in commerce"

So when the, let's say, US military has a "SURPLUS" of ammo they sell it to the highest bidder, which in turn they sell it to the public... All businesses that produce ammo is "commercial"... They sell to the military/LE agencies and retail businesses that in turn sell it to the public....

Whatever.....

Edited by 308saiga