I was reading something about left handed M1911s, and it got me thinking about what it'd take to get one. Being ambi, I really don't give a rats ass which hand it's in, but the concept of owning a gun specifically for lefties would be rather neat. I do know in the 80's a company named Randall produced these such pistols, but the seem to go for several thousand a piece :cryss:

Who else manufactured something similar to this?

I know there's another company out of Colorado(?) that had mirrored 1911's. They're SO left hand friendly, they're ejection port and EVERYTHING is on opposite sites. They even went so far as to spin the rifling in the barrel the opposite way...

**ETA milehigharmory is the company

Edited by XdamagedX

I know there's another company out of Colorado(?) that had mirrored 1911's. They're SO left hand friendly, they're ejection port and EVERYTHING is on opposite sites. They even went so far as to spin the rifling in the barrel the opposite way...

Sounds exactly like what Randall did, they rifled it the other way. You'd need the left handed mags too, but I'd still love to have one.

A while back I was looking at ambi 1911s to add to my colection and for carry. But all the ambi 1911s I found had something else I didnt want...different cal, $$$, old style sights, ..... Thats the reason I ended up buying the Para LDA. With DA I dont need to worry about ambi safeties.

also being a lefty I looked at them years ago, cost was too high and they were in stainless (not something I tend to like in guns) as far as the mags you could easily mod any regular 1911 mag to work by with just cutting the slot for the catch as needed.

here's a photo I found.

post-26137-0-27844100-1288791147_thumb.jpg

After Randall went tits up, Falcon Firearms started making left handed 1911's called the "Portsider".

I believe Falcon went under around 1990.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

Well damn, thanks Tony. I'll see what I an dig up on that.

If I had the equipment readily available, I could make my own frame and slide, but due to funds and lack of work space, i've got no place to put any machines.

also being a lefty I looked at them years ago, cost was too high and they were in stainless (not something I tend to like in guns) as far as the mags you could easily mod any regular 1911 mag to work by with just cutting the slot for the catch as needed.

here's a photo I found.

not so simple: you still need the mag follower to have the bend on the other side and the recess in the mag body to hit the slidestop

here's a photo I found.

not so simple: you still need the mag follower to have the bend on the other side and the recess in the mag body to hit the slidestop

Maybe it's a bridge too far, but since a lot of popular rifles are made in left-handed versions, perhaps the same could be done to popular hand guns? But I guess there's no profit in that.

I'm all for it, and I think a mainstream manufacturer SHOULD make a dedicated LH 1911. But back here in reality, they've got the option to use a $5 ambi-safety to appease the LH users, opposed to setting up new machines or adding new programs to their existing machines, so I don't see it happening.

I'm all for it, and I think a mainstream manufacturer SHOULD make a dedicated LH 1911. But back here in reality, they've got the option to use a $5 ambi-safety to appease the LH users, opposed to setting up new machines or adding new programs to their existing machines, so I don't see it happening.

That's really unfortunate, they'd make a lot of people happy and make some serious profit by taking advantage of something like this.

Word is Safari (now Olympic) bought all the Falcon tooling just to sit on it and eliminate competition.

There is still a way, but you need to be able to do some work to complete a PCR, and do the assembly yourself--I've been researching this with an eye toward a version that will use standard magazines. (Basically, it would use an ambi mag-catch, flip the ejection system and safety but other than that be a "standard" M1911A1.)

Word is Safari (now Olympic) bought all the Falcon tooling just to sit on it and eliminate competition.

There is still a way, but you need to be able to do some work to complete a PCR, and do the assembly yourself--I've been researching this with an eye toward a version that will use standard magazines. (Basically, it would use an ambi mag-catch, flip the ejection system and safety but other than that be a "standard" M1911A1.)

But with the way the left handed mags work, is that the follower is flipped and allows the slide stop to be on the other side. I'm not sure if it will affect ejection if you were to use a standard mag but it think that's one of the reasons why they flipped it.