I've been searching the forums for a while now, and looking to clear this up.

On Dinzag's site, it says the Saiga rifle counts as 14 parts

and that after the conversion, so long as your rifle wasn't over 10 foreign parts you were good.

So, I guess my question here is...What is the *current* number of MIA parts that is the minimum required on a rifle which has a new, threaded bulgy FSB?

Since it's threaded, that adds a part right? Since the muzzle device is an optional thing?

I saw in one post where one was advised that 5 USA parts (stock, grip, FCG) was enough, but for some reason I'm thinking I read that it should be 6?

Or..it's late..and I've gotten myself confused. Either way, I thought I'd ask in hopes of getting this cleared up.

BTW, this will be a 5.45 that I wish to convert.

I'm wanting to know how many MIA parts I need, because I'd really like to put some Russian Furniture on it.

Thanks,

MGIB

Edited by MyGrassIsBlue05

10 or less. if you add a BRAKE to the FSB make sure its US made..

I did foreign wood and used a US made Pistol grip (1)... & FCG (3).. but do not have a threaded barrel or a brake..

Other options are a US made gas piston.. like $15..

Or you can use Tapco/Timbersmith US made wood.

I saw in one post where one was advised that 5 USA parts (stock, grip, FCG) was enough, but for some reason I'm thinking I read that it should be 6?

Thanks,

MGIB

Yes it is 10 or less parts from 14 so you need to change out a minimum of 4 parts, BTW the pistol grip does not count as a compliance part because when you get a Saiga firearm there is no PG on it..... Parts that you can count are only the existing parts on the rifle... These parts are:

Receiver 1

Barrel 1

FCG 3

Stock 1

forend 1

Gas piston 1

mag 3

Now my understanding is that if you take off a foreign part and replace it with another foreign part you are increasing the parts count so if you add a foreign stock and a forend, this is 2 more parts, so the parts count jumps to 16 instead of the normal 14. I may be wrong this could be for C&R rifles.......

Many companies out there offer wood stocks for the Saiga rifle, I would look into those.....

Thanks,

MGIB

Yes it is 10 or less parts from 14 so you need to change out a minimum of 4 parts, BTW the pistol grip does not count as a compliance part because when you get a Saiga firearm there is no PG on it..... Parts that you can count are only the existing parts on the rifle... These parts are:

Receiver 1

Barrel 1

FCG 3

Stock 1

forend 1

Gas piston 1

mag 3

Now my understanding is that if you take off a foreign part and replace it with another foreign part you are increasing the parts count so if you add a foreign stock and a forend, this is 2 more parts, so the parts count jumps to 16 instead of the normal 14. I may be wrong this could be for C&R rifles.......

Many companies out there offer wood stocks for the Saiga rifle, I would look into those.....

That's interesting.

Dinzag's site says that when the rifle enters the country, it is considered a foreign-made sporting firearm, when it's "converted" or "restored", it is then considered an "unsporting" firearm and once you install the necessary amount of components, it is considered a US-made rifle so long as it has no more than 10 foreign parts in it.

My understanding was that once it was classified as a "non-sporting" or "unsporting" rifle, that the pistol grip is covered.

My thought, was that if I wanted to use Russian furniture, I would install a new piston (1 part) a new FCG (3 parts), and

a USA Pistol Grip (1 part) That's 4 parts.

If I were to add the threaded FSB, then I would HAVE to add a USA made Muzzle Brake.

This would give me 5 parts. Would that be enough?

If I'm correct, the front handguards TOGETHER count as one part, the stock as another, and pistol grip as the 3rd.

I know that I could get an IWD wooden laminate set, or something similar, but I'd really love to use a Russian Furniture set as it really is the perfect color, and I'd hate to try to match that on an unfinished (and unfurnished) stock set.

still confused.. :unsure:

My thought, was that if I wanted to use Russian furniture, I would install a new piston (1 part) a new FCG (3 parts), and

If I were to add the threaded FSB, then I would HAVE to add a USA made Muzzle Brake.

If I'm correct, the front handguards TOGETHER count as one part, the stock as another, and pistol grip as the 3rd.

I know that I could get an IWD wooden laminate set, or something similar, but I'd really love to use a Russian Furniture set as it really is the perfect color, and I'd hate to try to match that on an unfinished (and unfurnished) stock set.

On a AK version of the rifle (which is imported with a PG) is considered a compliant part, the Saiga does not come with a PG, hence the statement sporting, so the PG is not a compliance part..... You still would be non compliant because you are installing the Russian furniture which adds 2 more imported parts, you are going from 14 parts count to 16 parts count so you have to change out 6 other parts to be compliant...

You can do this to keep the Ruskie Furniture.... Convert it install the FCG (3) and a USA made Mag (3) parts. Apparently Tapco makes them you can get one here: http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-427/TAPCO-AK74-SAIGA-5.45X39/Detail

Added:

You will need to install a bullet guide to use this mag, read the description well...

Edited by 308saiga

On a AK version of the rifle (which is imported with a PG) is considered a compliant part, the Saiga does not come with a PG, hence the statement sporting, so the PG is not a compliance part..... You still would be non compliant because you are installing the Russian furniture which adds 2 more imported parts, you are going from 14 parts count to 16 parts count so you have to change out 6 other parts to be compliant...

You can do this to keep the Ruskie Furniture.... Convert it install the FCG (3) and a USA made Mag (3) parts. Apparently Tapco makes them you can get one here: http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-427/TAPCO-AK74-SAIGA-5.45X39/Detail

Added:

You will need to install a bullet guide to use this mag, read the description well...

Awesome. Thanks for that. Since I need six, rather than buy the tapco mag, I figure I'll just retrofit all of my existing magazines with US-made followers and floor plates (2 parts), as well as replace the piston with a US made one.

If I'm reading everything correctly, this would allow me to (legally) install a bulgy muzzle brake, correct?

Awesome. Thanks for that. Since I need six, rather than buy the tapco mag, I figure I'll just retrofit all of my existing magazines with US-made followers and floor plates (2 parts), as well as replace the piston with a US made one.

If I'm reading everything correctly, this would allow me to (legally) install a bulgy muzzle brake, correct?

That would work as well..... Posts pics when you are done......

Added:

I just thought of another thing, if you put a Ruskie PG on the Saiga it will count as 1 part and increase your count by 1 more, so now you are up to 17 imported part so you need to replace 7 not 6... I would put a US made PG on it.....

Edited by 308saiga

Thanks,

MGIB

Receiver 1

Barrel 1

FCG 3

Stock 1

forend 1

Gas piston 1

mag 3

Your statement about the pistol grip is not correct.

Think about it. Saiga's don't come with muzzle devices either, but if you add a us-made brake or hider, it counts as a compliance part. They don't come with US-made mag bodies, floor plates, or followers, but those will also count towards compliance. The pistol grip, if US made is still a compliance part and counts toward the total.

Edit to add:

The addition of the pistol grip is what causes 922 ® to apply to the gun in the first place, and if you read 922 ®, it discusses the assembly of an evil weapon with no more than 10 foreign parts. There is no mention of how many parts it enters the US with.

Edited by bolster