So lots of people think I am overly worried about home defense because we live in a low-crime area. I put in an alarm system, have motion lights around my house, I have a large trained Rottweiler, and am always on top of things like making sure all doors/windows are locked at night, making sure outside lights are on, garage is closed, etc..

I dont however own a firearm. I have a taser, but obviously that wont stand up to a person with a gun. My wife is a die hard democrat and doesn't like the idea of having a gun here, but after a conversation she has agreed. Which brings me to my question..

If you were going to own just 1 gun (at first) for home defense, which gun would it be? I'm very interested in purchasing a Saiga 12 - would this be your choice?

Thanks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pump shotgun. Remember if you have to adjust someones attitude with it, it will probably be taken from you as evidence. So I would not recommend using my high dollar guns for that reason. I would als

In your situation I would recommend a handgun. Here's why. Almost anything will work for yourself, but if you have only one gun in the house it has to be something that your wife can and will use. Let

I would urge something simpler than a Saiga 12 to start with, something you can buy finished. Also, the recoil of a 12 gauge would probably be too much for your wife, a new shooter. You don't want to

Posted Images

So lots of people think I am overly worried about home defense because we live in a low-crime area. I put in an alarm system, have motion lights around my house, I have a large trained Rottweiler, and am always on top of things like making sure all doors/windows are locked at night, making sure outside lights are on, garage is closed, etc..

I dont however own a firearm. I have a taser, but obviously that wont stand up to a person with a gun. My wife is a die hard democrat and doesn't like the idea of having a gun here, but after a conversation she has agreed. Which brings me to my question..

If you were going to own just 1 gun (at first) for home defense, which gun would it be? I'm very interested in purchasing a Saiga 12 - would this be your choice?

Thanks

Any kind of shotgun really. Shot shells have less chance of penetrating through the house and into the outside world as say with a handgun or a rifle. Personally, I use a Mossberg 500, and I'm comfortable enough with it that I would go to it in any case of emergency. An S-12 is a great start too, but of course you'll have to convert it, as long as your state allows evil features (High cap mags, pistol grips. etc.).

• Like 1

I love guns and would have two of almost everything if I wasnt poor,

but I instead have what I feel is the basics covered.

-One rifle -an SGL21-66

-One shotgun -an S12 (of course)

-One pistol -a Glock model 17

If I had to choose just one of those I would have to go with the Glock

its what I carry All the time and good for HD - easy to get to and

move around with indoors, extremely reliable and has 18 rounds ready

to fire at will. That said - since I dont have to choose only one

of my 3 - I keep the S12 handy for HD with 10 rounds of #000 ready

with the stock folded and my barrel somewhat shortened its definetly

my first choice for HD anyway!

Pump shotgun. Remember if you have to adjust someones attitude with it, it will probably be taken from you as evidence. So I would not recommend using my high dollar guns for that reason. I would also recommend getting a couple of shotgun shell bandoleers loaded with various types of rounds. Bandoleers are $10.00 from Cabela's and I own two fifty round ones loaded with various type of loads. The bandollers hang in a closet for when the light go out and are within easy reach. Also, make certain you understand how to use it and shoot it on a regular basis.

post-13534-0-15692600-1289061473_thumb.jpg

Just my :2c:

Good luck to you and be safe,

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung
  • Like 3

If I had to choose just one of those I would have to go with the Glock

A Glock is a pretty good choice. My wife shot a Glock 19 at the range the other day, and was able to use it far more proficiently than she was able to shoot our sub-compact Walther PPS or our Kel Tec P32. A larger pistol is easier to manage, and packs greater firepower.

I would urge something simpler than a Saiga 12 to start with, something you can buy finished. Also, the recoil of a 12 gauge would probably be too much for your wife, a new shooter. You don't want to discourage her at the very beginning. (You probably should borrow a friend's 22 LR rifle to get her started with shooting). Maybe a 20 gauge pump shotgun, if you have a range/other place where you can shoot it. (Many ranges won't let you shoot shotguns other than slugs).

My chief recommendation, though, would be an SLR106. Advantages:

- Great gun, good out of the box; requires no effort.

- AK reliability.

- 5.56 is a GREAT caliber for home defense; the right loads (such as Hornady's TAP) are devastating while also being likely to break up before exiting the house.

- You can practice with it at most ranges.

- Practice ammo is considerably cheaper than shotgun ammo. (More practice, more effectiveness).

- Recoil easily manageable for a woman. (My wife is very comfortable shooting my 5.56 and 5.45 AKs).

- Folding stock is a nice bonus.

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • Like 2
My wife is a die hard democrat and doesn't like the idea of having a gun here, but after a conversation she has agreed.

Sign her up! http://www.a2dems.net/

I think that depends more upon your own level of training. If this is your first firearm, then go with the pump shotgun. If you have a military background or some similar shooting experience then the S-12 might be an option.

Edited by Patria Povo
  • Like 1

Heck, a cheap double action revolver will do the job and not make you look like a bunker builder if you have to use it. I got a 5 round .44 mag with Glaser safety slugs handy for my home defense. I want a 7 or 8 round .357 revolver some day.

Heck, a cheap double action revolver will do the job and not make you look like a bunker builder if you have to use it. I got a 5 round .44 mag with Glaser safety slugs handy for my home defense. I want a 7 or 8 round .357 revolver some day.

Get the S&W 686+ 7 rounds of goodness :)

For one's first gun, for purely home defense, a pump shotgun, like others have said, is good.

A 12 gauge will whomp someone dead, and, unless the wife is planning on using it a lot, is a good choice.

If she, right now, wants to use it, then get a 20. Sounds like she doesn't, though.

Buy used. If you just want one for a tool, a used one in good shape is good value. Mossberg is entry level,

many people like, but there's a lot of slop in the pump linkage. Shoots great, however. Remington and Winchester

are a step above Mossberg.

My recommendation: get one that's blued and varnished and looks like a traditional gun. The wife will be scared by

it less than an all-black synthetic stock war weapon. Plus, it looks better to the courts.

A couple of thing affect my selection recommendation.

1. Who lives in your home with you? Kids, Pets, Other folks?

2. What's the make up of the neighborhood? (How much 'cushion' space around your living quarters? Apartment, duplex? Attached garage, out-buildings. Wooded or open? How much property are you trying to protect?

3. Legal restrictions to you defense-plan? No gunfire within city limits laws???or othe such influences.

4. Your present knowledge and experience with firearms?

Using my situation-Semi rural, only two adults in the house, some gun-experience over the years, and a wife who respects the need and use of guns in the home, although she doesn't have (or want) the skills needed to use them. Here's my vote--

I have a 357 snubby revolver within reach most of the time. I have a 22 semi-auto rifle where my wife knows its location and its operation for her use...(varmints in the fruit trees

are her main enemy) The Saiga is just coming on-line. I have had it only a month, but it will be the backbone of the defense system when I feel qualified to use it in the dark.

I am retiring an M1 Carbine (already sold) and a Savage short-barrel 12 ga Pump shotgun from its place in the role of 'Intimidator'.

So a lot needs to be thought out to create a solid defense plan, but you sound like you are on the right track. Good Luck !

Thanks everyone for the advice. To answer a few questions above.

My wife, the dog, and I are the only ones in the house. It's a small house (1300sq ft) with attached garage and 1/4 acre lot. I have 'some' experience with guns as my brother is very much into guns and we go shooting at least once/month on his property. He has shotguns, rifles, large assortment of handguns, etc.

A local gunstore has a new Saiga 12 for sale for $569.. is this a reasonable deal? I'll look into the other guns suggested above before making a purchase.

I should have mentioned in the original post that the gun is mainly for home defense, but wont just sit there.. I'm looking forward to getting something to 'tinker' with and modify.

I unfortunately only have my SGL20 or Colt6920 for home defense ( I have other guns or course, but both are my SHTF rifles, so they also serve the home defense role). I know neither is the right thing, but in their defense, both have already deterred would be criminals. I had an illegal demand to enter my house until he saw :ph34r: my SGL in hand through the living room window. Guy left really quick.

• Like 1

In your situation I would recommend a handgun. Here's why. Almost anything will work for yourself, but if you have only one gun in the house it has to be something that your wife can and will use. Let's face it....some women are as afraid of guns as they are of burglars. In my experience the bigger the gun the more fear there will be of the gun. Men and women of smaller stature have a harder time racking a round on a pump shotgun when they are scared to death, and if she is confronting someone in your home...she will be scared to death. A handgun is also more likely to be taken with you when/if anyone goes to investigate things going bump in the night. My recommendation is a 9mm semi-auto with consistent trigger pull from the first round on. (No DA/SA). Then both of you go practice practice practice.

• Like 3

A local gunstore has a new Saiga 12 for sale for $569.. is this a reasonable deal? I'll look into the other guns suggested above before making a purchase.

No. A $569 Saiga-12 has the possibility of being unreliable out of the box and at minimum is going to need another $150-200 in parts to make it a decent weapon. Not to mention extra work and/or money if it doesn't run reliably out of the box.

You can get a Mossberg 500 for about $200 brand new at a big box store.

You can get a nice handgun like a Glock 19 for $500 or less.

You can get a great pistol like a Zastava EZ9 for somewhere in the $300 range.

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov

In your situation I would recommend a handgun. Here's why. Almost anything will work for yourself, but if you have only one gun in the house it has to be something that your wife can and will use. Let's face it....some women are as afraid of guns as they are of burglars. In my experience the bigger the gun the more fear there will be of the gun. Men and women of smaller stature have a harder time racking a round on a pump shotgun when they are scared to death, and if she is confronting someone in your home...she will be scared to death. A handgun is also more likely to be taken with you when/if anyone goes to investigate things going bump in the night. My recommendation is a 9mm semi-auto with consistent trigger pull from the first round on. (No DA/SA). Then both of you go practice practice practice.

If she doesn't want to practice much, though, then you need a rifle with a red dot. It's much easier to hit with a rifle than a handgun, and much easier to hit with a red dot than with iron sights. I'm reminded of these facts every time my wife accompanies me to the range. Pity those poor targets she breaks out the Aimpoint and Saiga on...

I'd also say if only 1 gun to go for a pistol.

Glock 17 or Glock 19 should work for both of you.

Plus, you can CCW a handgun if the need arises.

If there's a catastrophe & you were to be running around with a long gun, you'd be a target.

If you really need a long gun, you can use your sidearm to obtain one if you're smooth about it. :chris:

$569.00 is an average price for face to face in a brick & mortar shop.

Some internet vendors sell them for $100.00 less, but then there's shipping & your FFL's fee, so you only really only save $40.00 or less.

For those of you who would recommend a pump...

You have some tuning to do on your S-12s. ;)

Don't give up.

You CAN get there.

Edited by Paulyski
  • Like 1

I vote XDM in .9mm(mainly b/c the wife) otherwise i would say .40 or .45 . although i would say a pump would be second. i like the XDM for several reasons, its just as reliable and durable as a glock, shoots as good or better than a glock, and carries a few more rounds. plus it more ergonomic and customizable(I think)I have the XDM .40 on my night stand with one in the chamber and my girlfriend is well trained in its use. she knows all you have to do is pick it up and pull the trigger. plus it is VERY safe, with 2 safeties but NO safety buttons to fumble with or lose precious seconds on. it has the trigger safety and a palm safety. i think its virtually impossible to make it go off without pulling the trigger. so it should satisfy your wifes reservations of it being a "dangerous" firearm but its still very user friendly and safe.

Sure a shotgun is gonna be a more powerful "one shot" weapon but 20 rounds of 9mm HP will defend you/wife just fine, without the issues of an S-12 like size, weight, scary looking-ness, or the possible legal issues of using a "combat shotgun"

Other than that i really think every home should have at least a pistol and a long gun, preferably a shotgun. like everyone said you cant go wrong with a mossy pump but keep your wife in mind b/c its just as possible she may have to use the weapon.(unless you dont ever leave the house). i wouldnt suggest the saiga as a first HD gun, it may require a bit of work to make reliable plus aftermarket parts to make it right. once tuned and "fixed up" the Saiga is a beast with NO EQUAL but it will take time, money and patience.if you just want one for fun then go for it, there bad ass guns for sure but buy an XDM for HD. then when you get the Saiga "right" it can be a second HD gun.

No matter what you choose you should handle it first and make sure it fits your hand/shoulder well. I like the feel of the XDM over the Glock but some say the other way around. just handle them both & see which one you like better. Either one would be an excellent choice for HD though. if you get a pump you should make sure it has a stock, those pistol grip shottys are cool looking but not very practical. whatever you choose you need to be well trained with it, theres no such thing as too much practice. make sure you wife learns how to use it proficiently as well.

Good luck J

Edited by big-J

I'd choose either a pump shottie or a handgun.

Whatever you choose... You and your wife, both of you, need to attend a firearms safety course.

And another class specific for your chosen weapon, one that involves time on the range shooting under direct instruction.

In most such classes you will learn to handle/shoot your chosen weapon, clean it and learn the laws specific to your area pertaining to when & how it is legal to defend yourselves.

Be prepared to drop $100-300. per person, combined, on these classes.

A lot of people do much better getting accustomed to firearms in a structured setting, with a professional instructor.

I've especially noticed this with women uneasy with the prospect of firearms.

On a side note... So your wife is a Dem, so, plenty of Pro 2A/firearm enthusiast Dems.

The real question is, is she a die hard anti-2A, anti gunner/gun control nut?

Or.

Is she just unfamiliar and uneasy about firearms in general? Ignorance breeds fear.

I think the latter since she acquiesced to your buying a firearm.

This means she is a reasonable person and can learn that under controlled conditions, firearms are fun!

Go easy, don't overwhelm her.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 2

....... i like the XDM for several reasons, its just as reliable and durable as a glock, shoots as good or better than a glock............

Oh please. :rolleyes:

That must be why the XDM is the first choice of most Law enforcment & military right??? :unsure:

And the fact that it's been tested more throughly than any other polymer framed gun in existance & passed with flying Colors...

Oops... Nevermind.

That's Glocks.

Just one note about revolvers: If you intend for your lady to use one, make sure she tries it out before you buy it. My wife has some trouble with the trigger pull on double action revolvers.

My Mom can't rack an auto's slide due to arthritis.

The only auto she can work is a Beretta Bobcat, due to it's break open barrel for the first round.

Ruger revolvers are easiest for her to handle the trigger, being as it's a friction-reducing cam fire control system.

Edited by Paulyski

....... i like the XDM for several reasons, its just as reliable and durable as a glock, shoots as good or better than a glock............

Oh please. :rolleyes:

That must be why the XDM is the first choice of most Law enforcment & military right??? :unsure:

And the fact that it's been tested more throughly than any other polymer framed gun in existance & passed with flying Colors...

Oops... Nevermind.

That's Glocks.

I was waiting for a glock guy to say something about that. let me guess you own a glock? of course you would disagree about the XDM being a better shooter but the fact remains it IS every bit as reliable and has been just as throughly tested and passed with "flying colors" ive never seen a torture test where the XDM failed. It can do anything a glock can with more ammo and feels better in the hand while doing it alittle more accurately.:haha:

There hasnt been as many tests b/c it hasnt been around nowhere near as long. the same reason its not carried by LEO's b/c they already have a perfectly functional weapon in the glock, why change? besides more and more departments are issueing XD's & XDM's. if the XDM came around when the Glock did LEO's would all be carrying XDM's. everyone has there own personal preffrence but the 2 guns are of equal reliability/durability. I think there fairly equal other than ergonomics and accuracy with XDM's being alittle better in those departments :rolleyes:

Thanks

Something like this:

lsam301.jpg

lsam302.jpg

lsam303.jpg

:smoke:

I recommend a stock IZ-109 at the least. Converting Restoring ths shotgun to use a proper pg and trigger group would make it that much more effective.

+1 on the shotties! I was never really into shotguns untill I saw what my Saiga did to a target at 25 yards. If you want a cheap, reliable shotgun and you have a Dick's sporting goods store near by they have an H&R 12G pump for $197. Its a Chinese copy of a Remington sold under the H&R brand. My friend bought one, shoots great and for the money you cant beat it.

If you like steel guns over plastic check out the CZ line. CZ75 is an awsome gun the new version is the P-01 (full size 9mm 18+1rnd) and the SP-01 (Compact 9mm 15+1rnd) If your looking for a bigger cal the CZ97 is a .45 with 10+1rnds. CZs are in about the same price range as the XDs and Glocks depanding on the extras.

Can we keep the whole Glock vs XD fight out of this the op just wanted a some info on whats good for home defence.