+1 on the shotties! I was never really into shotguns untill I saw what my Saiga did to a target at 25 yards. If you want a cheap, reliable shotgun and you have a Dick's sporting goods store near by they have an H&R 12G pump for $197. Its a Chinese copy of a Remington sold under the H&R brand. My friend bought one, shoots great and for the money you cant beat it.

If you like steel guns over plastic check out the CZ line. CZ75 is an awsome gun the new version is the P-01 (full size 9mm 18+1rnd) and the SP-01 (Compact 9mm 15+1rnd) If your looking for a bigger cal the CZ97 is a .45 with 10+1rnds. CZs are in about the same price range as the XDs and Glocks depanding on the extras.

Can we keep the whole Glock vs XD fight out of this the op just wanted a some info on whats good for home defence.

But I do have to throw that the XDM cases come with rails on them!!! Just waiting to be tacticooled! "I'm gonna sight in my XDM case with that red dot sight today!!" :lolol:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pump shotgun. Remember if you have to adjust someones attitude with it, it will probably be taken from you as evidence. So I would not recommend using my high dollar guns for that reason. I would als

In your situation I would recommend a handgun. Here's why. Almost anything will work for yourself, but if you have only one gun in the house it has to be something that your wife can and will use. Let

I would urge something simpler than a Saiga 12 to start with, something you can buy finished. Also, the recoil of a 12 gauge would probably be too much for your wife, a new shooter. You don't want to

Posted Images

If you're only going to have one weapon I'm going to throw in another vote for getting a handgun. A revolver is the simplest one to operate in the event that your wife has to use it. If you have kids, you're going to need to take extra precautions as far as storage is concerned.

No one weapon is going to be ideal for all situations. You need to be proficient enough to make do with what you've got.

Best of luck to you.

My HD shotty is a Maverick 88 with a light with #4 buckshot. At $200 you can't go wrong, keep it simple. It wouldn't bother me if the police had to keep it, in the event I had to use it in such a manner....

DSCN0043.jpg

Edited by chupa

My saiga 12 has never and I repeat never failed with high brass and I really cant see that happening anytime soon. Its not like youll be using light shot for HD. Unless Im the only person here with a saiga that behaves like that. Yet my saiga is a little heavy and long 22 inch barrel so in my apartment or in a house it takes some coordination to move through door ways and stick around corners and tight spots. I usually found my self resorting to my xdm 9mm which i can easily move through my apt with and one hand around corners while being mostly behind cover.

The saiga is usually back up... My say hello to my little friend type back up

My vote short pump 12 or pistol glock or springfield

Edited by Jbanda1213

....... i like the XDM for several reasons, its just as reliable and durable as a glock, shoots as good or better than a glock............

Oh please. :rolleyes:

That must be why the XDM is the first choice of most Law enforcment & military right??? :unsure:

And the fact that it's been tested more throughly than any other polymer framed gun in existance & passed with flying Colors...

Oops... Nevermind.

That's Glocks.

I was waiting for a glock guy to say something about that. let me guess you own a glock? of course you would disagree about the XDM being a better shooter but the fact remains it IS every bit as reliable and has been just as throughly tested and passed with "flying colors" ive never seen a torture test where the XDM failed. It can do anything a glock can with more ammo and feels better in the hand while doing it alittle more accurately.:haha:

There hasnt been as many tests b/c it hasnt been around nowhere near as long. the same reason its not carried by LEO's b/c they already have a perfectly functional weapon in the glock, why change? besides more and more departments are issueing XD's & XDM's. if the XDM came around when the Glock did LEO's would all be carrying XDM's. everyone has there own personal preffrence but the 2 guns are of equal reliability/durability. I think there fairly equal other than ergonomics and accuracy with XDM's being alittle better in those departments :rolleyes:

Really?

http://www.remtek.com/arms/glock/model/9/17/index.htm

By May 1982 Glock submitted samples and a price proposal to the Austrian Army. His offer was 25-percent lower than the next lowest bidder. As the Glock pistol was somewhat of an enigma, the Austrian Army test facility decided that it must first pass a preliminary firing test - 10,000 rounds with no more than 20 stoppages. The 10,000 rounds were fired with only one malfunction! This test was waived for the other contenders as it was assumed they would be able to complete this portion of the trials.

Tests of function and parts durability included firing under conditions of extreme heat, ice, sand and mud; a drop test (2 meters onto a steel plate - muzzle and rear); oiled and unlubricated functioning; and the firing of normal, low- and high-pressure ammunition (the high-pressure requirement was double NATO specifications - 5,000 BAR [56,000 psi]).

The test parameters also included accuracy potential on the first shot (a hit within 2 seconds was required from a bolstered gun); second-shot hit potential; precision shooting at 25 meters; magazine capacity (if the magazine capacity was 16 rounds or more only one issue magazine with each pistol was required; if less than 16 rounds, then two issue magazines were required); energy levels; handling characteristics; steps required to make ready; weight; dimensions; direction of case ejection; steps required to change magazines with the shooting hand; maintenance (no tools are required to completely disassemble the Glock pistol); parts strength; storage capacity; and necessary cleaning equipment. Training parameters such as the time required to train shooters, the number of parts manipulated to place the weapon into operation, and the possibility of dry-fire exercises were also evaluated.

So...

Which military weapons experts have, extensively tested, found & accepted that the XDM surpassed the Glock?

I mean, I'm all for calling a gun "top-notch"... Especially when it was manufactured in Croatia, a former part of Yugoslavia, the wonderful country that brought us the pinnacle of reliability in the form of an automobile called the Yugo...

Let's see....

What country produces higher quality products???

Austria

imagesqtbnANd9GcQ9VqVwk_rRJV7nrQsr2rKevAN6F7KhXUhT-ot1CYQXMyLpxYUt1usg__JdOt3kB8ko40kIVi5tYWEnw_htU.jpgge4668986171196402923.jpg

imagesqtbnANd9GcQNFgmGsjSyFe4Kp0GGZnfRoNuJmiREoya5ACHIKLcGYNjWKFEt1usg__Q32gg6UBEdcrW8EX8PjDxxOSx28.jpg

Or.....

Croatia

imagesqtbnANd9GcQDWoYBnw7Lw_Yc1OHqxGwYTjKQoAMr0zNMX5092K77tIEaBgYt1usg__cNPZVPeIzGpFVE3fPBbujf1SxvI.jpg

imagesqtbnANd9GcQFss5Wg3WDR2NGD0Eu5oJNAsFzJXMwt4Ci5jMkkp5rm2HLXVYt1usg__0mA_CiHSVT4aJS5zfVA2a6H1JjQ.jpg

I don't know....

Maybe the vast majority of polymer framed gun owners are on to something? :unsure:

Then again... Maybe not.

Who knows. :huh:

• Like 1

I'm not sure that relating a country of manufacture of cars with the quality of guns manufactured there is a fair assessment. Comparing an XD to a Yugo is just nonsense, just as the the argument of whether the XD or Glock is better is nonsense.

I'm not sure that relating a country of manufacture of cars with the quality of guns manufactured there is a fair assessment. Comparing an XD to a Yugo is just nonsense, just as the the argument of whether the XD or Glock is better is nonsense.

Yeah...

We all know Chinese firearms are equal & on par with Russian & east German models too huh? :huh:

Let me guess where this one is going.

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Yeah, I know...

The XDM guys never have the references or tests to back their claims.

It's kinda redundant.

But they're like the guys that build a Hyundai Tiburon simply because they don't wanna be like everyone else & build a Civic...

But the fact still remains that Civics beat Hyundai every day of the week & twice on Sundays.

Edited by Paulyski

If the weapon is going to be loaded and sit in or on a nightstand and rarely ever used, I would recommend a revolver. Semi-auto's no matter who makes them require a minimal amount of proficiency to be reliable. Poor grip, grip too large for the hands of smaller folks, limp wristing, or weak ammo can all lead to failure that is not a fault of the weapon. A revolver is a better choice IMO for this situation. I usually recommend a good sized heavy .357 with a decent length barrel and not a snub nose. If it's not going to be carried a lot, the extra barrel length and weigh helps minimize felt recoil. Since .357's can also fire .38 special rounds, the smaller rounds can help a new shooter feel more comfortable. I used to have a .357 with a 6" barrel and my 13 year old daughter that weighed about 85lbs. was very confident and accurate with it when loaded with .38's.

Also, most modern revolvers have an internal locking mechanism that would allow the owner to unload and lock the weapon when they leave. Since most in this situation wont have a gun safe that can't be carried away, it just might keep the weapon from killing someone if it is stolen. When you leave, unload the weapon and activate the internal lock. When you return home, unlock and reload. Sure if it's stolen, someone can still use it to rob someone, but it wont fire until the lock is deactivated. Maybe the dumb crook will go the to the local gun shop looking for a key to unlock it, when of course you would have already notified them to be on the watch for someone looking for a key.

Personally, I have a benelli nova pump as well as a semi-auto handgun in the bedroom. My wife is a concealed carry trainer and has her pistol handy at all times. Any pump shotty may also prevent the need to fire. The sound of a shell being racked is universal. Like giving someone the middle finger, no matter where you are from or what language you speak, you KNOW what it means.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by chevymann

The Remington 870 is my go to gun. Several places I've worked have had pump action 12 gauges. Shotguns are powerful, cheap, reliable and offer the most bang for your buck.

Go to pawn shop and buy a used pump gun. I prefer the remington 870 over the mossberg 500 because the 870 is easier to disassemble. 00 busk is a great shell.

I never said the xdm surpassed the glock in any test. I said they were of equal reliability/durability and I THINK the XDM feels better and shoots better.

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php

its not an XDM but i have no doubt the XDM will perform the same, considering they are basically the same gun.

and I'm pretty sure that car isn't made in Austria, i believe the G-wagon is the only Benz to come out of Austria.

I'm not going to argue over 2 guns that are basically equal. you are right, The Glock is a better weapon and the OP should indeed buy a glock.:up: (and a G-wagon)

Probably even more important is your preparedness. Are you going to designate a safe room? A room that is defensible and offers at least concealment, if not cover? A place you can get you and your wife to quickly? How will you get there if it is supper time? Can you get there at 3 am? What if you are in different rooms? What if your threat is between you, your wife, and the safe room or weapon?

Your ability to think of as many scenarios as you can in your house, plan for those scenarios, PRACTICE implementing those plans, is likely going to be just as importnt if not more important than if you have a glock, saiga 12, rifle, or bazooka. and whatever gun you get. Get trained, practice at least monthly (weekly or biweekly better), and get training every year at a minimum. These are skills that do diminish if not used. Your wife should do the same.

i would also suggest you not "clear" your house. Most LEO or military will do all they can to have a minimum of two people to go room to room. Chances of you getting shot first moving around are far greater. Be prepared, get to your weapon in your safe room, use that other essential tool (phone to call 911), and if trouble continues to come, implement your deterrent. BTW, plug in your old cell phones in spots around the house so they remain charged. Even unactivated cell phones can call 91. LEO may not be able to get there in time, but the faster they do, especially if you get hurt, the better.

As far as what one weapon, after all the planning above....the one you are likely to shoot the most and be proficient with is the one to get. Besides that, a shotgun has the power, rifle (with appropriate ammo so it doesnt overpenetrate) has the rate of fire or capacity,and a handgun has the ease of quick access storage and mobility in case you do have to move (or go on vacation, easier to take with you).

Whatever you get, keep it simple...you have muscle memory built up so you instinctivel are able to use it. A DA only semi like a Glock (partial to S&W M&P myself as they fit my hands better) or revolver (all without a thumb safety) are good choice.

Personally, i would chose to have more than one, but i have more rooms and family to cover than you. The cost of the gun or guns is less than the ammo and teaining anyway. So in for a penny, go for the pound and get a handgun and a shotgun or rifle. :)

Edited by treebark
  • Like 1

and I'm pretty sure that car isn't made in Austria, i believe the G-wagon is the only Benz to come out of Austria.

Magna is building AMGs.

So sorry, wrong one...

IMG_0325-480x360.jpg

I'm not going to argue over 2 guns that are basically equal. you are right, The Glock is a better weapon and the OP should indeed buy a glock.:up: (and a G-wagon)

Thank you very much for admitting the error of your ways. :)

But back on topic, if the OP values fit & finish over capacity & light weight, a Sig feels better in my hand than any other firearm I've ever handled. :D

They're known to be rather reliable too. :up:

Edited by Paulyski

My grandama is from croatia and she is Hillarious and makes delicious food. So unless your austrian Grandma wants to have a cook off put your glock back in your pants!!!

Chewbacca is a wookie

Mine was from Poland.... They'd likely make the same dish! :D

ETA;

Harry Henderson is a sasquatch.

600full-harry-and-the-hendersons-poster.jpg

Edited by Paulyski

This best wepon is the one you have and can use.

For years my goto firearm was a Marlin .22LR with a plastic...err polymer folding stock. NOT intimidating, but a 25-30rnd mag can sting like a hornets nest, and kill if placed right. Then I upgraded to a S&W .357 w/5in. barrel. More power, easy to use, dual calibered as mentioned above and I can hunt with it in some states. I've since aquired a Llama .380 and a Taurus PT-145 Mil-Pro.

Not to mention a few rifles, an M1, a Japanese 6.5 and a Marlin 30-30. All of which were traded/sold to aquire the handguns and my S12, at one point or another.

The handguns are now my HD gotos with the S12 as backup. My Lady has her own handguns and my .22 if needed.

Right now for you, I would recommend two handguns(his and hers) and a 12ga shotty with full stock as a back up(for you, you can get her a .410 later if she wants). The reason I say full stock is... with little training, you can use a full stock weapon as a staff/stick weapon if needed. Add a bayonet and you have an instant spear. It's why most militaries issue bayonets.

The His/Hers pistols so as to maybe draw her in to the gun world a bit more, both making her more comfortable and maybe getting something in her favorite color. You know, pink, purple or baby blue? Something to make it HER own so as to get her more comfortable and invested in it.

I'd go with what you can afford first and upgrade later if desired. You don't need a high dollar, milspec weapon at this point. It just needs to go boom when you need it to. My 30yr old Llama .380 has never had an issue that wasn't ammo specific(find what works best with yours).

And above all else, as others have said, GET TRAINING and PRACTICE, pick up some airsoft guns similar to what you get and run scenarioes IN YOUR HOME. Plan and make sure everyone knows their role and where to go, etc.

And good luck, for when it comes down to it, your are on your own.

PS - NEVER underestimate the shock value of a naked 6' 200# man bearing a two handed Danish axe, stepping into a door way. :devil:

Edited by BpS12

The idea of an inexpensive pump action or revolver appeals to me. The appearance of a gun in the courtroom (shitty as it may be) can make or break a person's(read: jury member) opinion of you. Scary big S-12 = bad person, gun that looks like Grandpa's gun = OK guy. It sucks but it is true, and you will be without the weapon for quite a while, they take that stuff ya'know.

• Like 1

You need to evaluate your security need according to where you are, the layout and construction of your house,the lines of fire (you are responsible for every round that leaves you weapon,what it penetrates and where it lands).

A revolver is easily stored and brutally practical. A pistol (auto) needs more skill,maintenance and practice. A short 12ga. with #4 buck is devastating and short ranged-less chance of hitting the neighbors! An UF AK with a 20 rd mag is the ultimate personal protection device/threat eliminator...BUT...only if you use soft point or hollow point ammo and there is no possibility of penetrating the neighbors or your family with an errant shot!

Chose type of weapon what will work best for your unique situation. The brand of weapon is meaningless beyond eliminating crap. Any reputable manufacturer will do. Go to a range and SHOOT the weapon. Bring everyone in your household that will need to use it. Make a plan and rehearse assembling at your defensive position. If your home is invaded you want to be in a position to defend a space where the invader must come through a single doorway - and practice aiming at the center of that doorway.

The simplest tools have the least likelihood of operator AND mechanical failure in a crisis situation. A man who is proficient with a double barrel coach gun and a revolver is very dangerous man. It is important to know how to use ALL your weapons, not just your favorites. My wife's favorite.... stove poker.

+1 on revolver. 357 loaded with .38 in case the wife has to use it.

Just point and squeeze. No safeties pumps or bolts to manipulate.

Also If you had to check the outside of your house or wanted to conceal for any reason you wont scare your neighbors quite as much.

My nightstand gun is S&W 686+ loaded with low recoil .38 special.

Click of a S&W 686 23yrs ago in the dark got my attention. :cryss: Wife 8 months pregnant with #2, and me coming off duty early. 105lbs before/after pregnant. She became avid shooter, weapon of mine she used. Now, she still has it in night stand, yet carries Glock 29 in purse for CC. :killer: In area where firearms are looked at same as a fire extinguisher in the kitchen. Just good to have when needed. :angel: She has grabbed the Moss 500 if coyotes come a calling. So whatever you decide, just practice. Found many anti firearm persons feel much different after a trip or two to the range. :smoke:

Forget all the other stuff. Here is what you want...A 2 Bore!!!!!! :devil: 3500gr, 1/2lbs of lead moving at 1700fps with a 17,500ft-lbs. :devil::killer::devil::killer: Turn your badguy into jelly!!!! :devil:

And your shoulder too. Those are British. Would they be a destructive device over here with a caliber of

greater than .50 or are they ok due to being black powder?