Saiga 12 receiver cover issues

The title should say Saiga-20. but I think the receiver covers fit identically, aside from being slightly aesthetically different.

I don't know my terminology super well, so forgive me if you can't understand wtf I'm talking about.

When disassembling my Saiga 20, I noticed that it was a really huge feat to get the receiver dust cover back on. It looked warped near the back of it and I figured that had to be why. So, I order a new one. Same issue. It's nearly impossible to get on. I realize it's the gun itself and probably why a 10 year old Saiga was fired only a handful of times, put in a closet to rot, and then sold to me at a gun show only a month ago. The rifle itself is in superb condition, if not a little dinged up on the exterior.

My question.

That little lip in front of where the buttstock fits, where the receiver cover slips down in front of and behind the receiver spring, seems to be too far forward, maybe a millimeter. Could I safely take a metal file to it and bring it back a hair without fucking up the gun permanently or something? It seems like a super easy fix, and it would make getting the receiver cover down worlds easier, but would it be smart to do this?

Edited by mgvsquared

I don't know my terminology super well, so forgive me if you can't understand wtf I'm talking about.

When disassembling my Saiga 20, I noticed that it was a really huge feat to get the receiver dust cover back on. It looked warped near the back of it and I figured that had to be why. So, I order a new one. Same issue. It's nearly impossible to get on. I realize it's the gun itself and probably why a 10 year old Saiga was fired only a handful of times, put in a closet to rot, and then sold to me at a gun show only a month ago. The rifle itself is in superb condition, if not a little dinged up on the exterior.

My question.

That little lip in front of where the buttstock fits, where the receiver cover slips down in front of and behind the receiver spring, seems to be too far forward, maybe a millimeter. Could I safely take a metal file to it and bring it back a hair without fucking up the gun permanently or something? It seems like a super easy fix, and it would make getting the receiver cover down worlds easier, but would it be smart to do this?

Pics would be helpful, but what it sound like it might be is that you arent fitting the front of the dust cover into the little spot where it goes, kindof like: dust cover-->----= <---S12 receiver, if that makes sence.

Maybe this will help: post-24335-0-57091200-1288999591_thumb.jpg

Just try and fit the little dent on the cover in between the little space for it. If thats not the issue than my appologies.

Good luck.

Edited by AZG

Yes, I'm getting it into that groove. Hopefully this will help. Was finally able to get a pic uploaded to my Picasa album

2010-11-05_21-17-53_562.jpg

I'd physically either have to take a hammer to the new receiver cover (which was hard enough to find), or file the edge of the gun itself back maybe a half a millimeter or smaller. It's a very small overlap, but it makes it near-impossible to get the receiver cover down fully

I'd bend the cover before I went filing. Get a rubber mallet and beat in the lip on the cover. It worked great for a friend's WASR. And since you have two, if you totally bash one(which won't happen unless you drop a backhoe bucket on it), you'll have another.

And what's that pin sticking up from the top of the cover button?

Edited by toshbar

Bend the back of the cover where it fits in the groove with an adjustable wrench. Just slip it on snug and give it a tweak towards the barrel. Please forgive my art work. It could be worse, I could be describing that "thing that goes up".

post-16335-0-06547100-1289103151_thumb.jpg

I'd bend the cover before I went filing. Get a rubber mallet and beat in the lip on the cover. It worked great for a friend's WASR. And since you have two, if you totally bash one(which won't happen unless you drop a backhoe bucket on it), you'll have another.

And what's that pin sticking up from the top of the cover button?

What about removing material off the front of the cover?

Or try taking a pick and clean out the groove where the front of the cover slips into.Maybe it's got some paint or finish in there.

Bend the back of the cover where it fits in the groove with an adjustable wrench. Just slip it on snug and give it a tweak towards the barrel. Please forgive my art work. It could be worse, I could be describing that "thing that goes up".

post-16335-0-06547100-1289103151_thumb.jpg

All good suggestions. First I'll try using a pick and seeing if the groove where the front of fits is dirty, although I don't think it is. I got the original cover to fit better by hammering the edge much like toshbar suggested, but I might just try to gently bend the new receiver cover and see if I can get it on. I suppose if I tried to remove material from the front of it, I'd have to be careful to get it even. Depending on how much I'd have to file off the cover itself, that might even be the best solution. I'll gauge my options when I sit down with it tomorrow.

Thanks, I at least have something to go off of now! Also, Stan, the drawing was fine. Pretty explanatory. That's exactly what I was thinking I might do.

Edited by mgvsquared