Backyard 7.62x39 testing Yugo FMJ, Wolf 154grain sp, and vmax

I found this video and had to guess this guy might have seen one of my vmax threads earlier this year.

Yugo FMJ

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Wolf sp and vmax

http://www.youtube.c...n_order&list=UL

Good to know in case you ever have a desire to fist an exit wound. However, a real American would have shot the box of Keystone Light that he drank on the way into the woods, leaving a trail of empty cans in his wake.

Anyone find any ballistics tests of the 5.45 vmax?

• Like 1

Cool shit, but I do wish that you tested Wolf Military Classic 124 gr HP too. That 8M3 "Sapsan" bullet is supposed to be simply devastating, blowing all .223 loads out of the water. It's probably close to the VMax in performance at 1/10th the cost. I've been stocking up on that stuff lately. Any way, thanks for the entertainment.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

Damm its hard to believe a vmax can produce 10 times the damage that a yugo fmj does and 4 times the damage a wolf soft point produces within a short pathway through media. If someone could take one of these vmax or a russian 8m3 blowing a fist size hole in their chest and still pose a threat, they would be one serious badass. I can see how fmj might not do the job on the first shot but how many people could lose that much tissue with the more serious bullet design impacts with maybe a few pints of blood lost instantly and not fall over from sudden loss of blood pressure with liquified organs like heart, liver, and lungs. I know how people get so excited about FMJ tumbling but it is still not in the same league with expanding fragmenting bullets.

Cool shit, but I do wish that you tested Wolf Military Classic 124 gr HP too. That 8M3 "Sapsan" bullet is supposed to be simply devastating, blowing all .223 loads out of the water. It's probably close to the VMax in performance at 1/10th the cost. I've been stocking up on that stuff lately. Any way, thanks for the entertainment.

I did on water containers. Yep it is close and less expensive

1st video shot 1 FMJ

shot 2 Wolf HP

shot 3 MC 8m3

shot 4 vmax

2nd video 1 Brown bear hp

2 MC 8m3

3 vmax

4 corbon hp 150 grain

Those Brown Bear HP sure did a number...almost like the other rounds...

The brown bear hp used was video 2 shot 1. Better than wolf hp from video 1 but not near as much expanding/fragmenting as MC 8m3.

If things keep moving like they are with 7.62x39, Russian ammo importers will hopefully take notice and eventually get the Russian ammo makers

to produce a ballistic tip variety for export designed to work similar to vmax and hopefully at par price wise with other russian ammo.

Sellier & Bellot started this and hopefully it catches on.

http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/hunting-rifle-ammunitions-with-pts-bullets.php?product=19&view=all

.223 vmax on second shot decent size hole but still not as big as the earlier fist size hole

5.45x39 is less mass so it will not likely do any more damage if a 5.45 vmax bullet was used

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

I think the 5.45 vmax is bigger by 5 grains (60 vs. 55) but probably a good approximation. Thanks.

Awesome videos. Do you guys know if the Brown Bear HPs are an 8m3 like the Wolf MC? Also how do the Bear FMJs with an air pocket compare to the HP rounds?

Not the same bullet as 8m3. The surplus yugo 7.62x39 fmj is suppose to be purposely made to tumble and even so a serious tumbling mil spec round like this accounts for only enough damage

to insert two fingers. The velocity is there but the mechanism is lacking to produce the most wounding possible. Increasing the frontal surface area that drags along in tissue will produce more tissue damage. Tumbling obviously increases the amount of surface area over an fmj frontal point but no where the same as with a bullet that expands widely or is torn open or into several pieces. An intact side ways moving bullet profile has a nice round cylinder shape that passes through tissue with less turbulence that a flat or jagged edge profile.

Consider if anyone would find it easier to extract an intact bullet from a wound or bullet that has been deformed and ripped. The bullet that has deformed or expanded while traveling through tissue will increase the amount of pressure imparted upon the tissue and cause more damage. FMJ works but never as well as expansion and fragmentation can.

• Like 1

So is all the Wolf MC 124gr HP's all this magical '8M3'??

I have a box left with the red stripe (round bullet base) and red primer sealer here, and the newer stuff does not have the red stripe around the bullet base... a few boxes marked SA02 and some SA03.. guessing thats the production year or plant??

Any differences??

7.62 x 39 http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot16_5.htm

.223 http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot16_3.htm

there are a series of gel tests with various 7.62 x 39 rounds. I did a little unofficial research and it seems these hollow points actually do well hunting. the soft points have given some feeding problems. I do think the mc JHP 8m3 seem to be the way to go for cheap effective rounds. Turning concealment into cover and able to put food on the table if need be appeals to me.

Edited by leadslinger

They say in the video 123gr HP.. they mean the BLACK BOX one and not the MC??.. great video though..

Anyone find a test on the 124gr MC HP??

I seen this video a few times before and can't figure out why he is calling wolf hp 123 grains? 123 grains is the bear ammo hp.

11seekg.jpg

• Like 1

They say in the video 123gr HP.. they mean the BLACK BOX one and not the MC??.. great video though..

Anyone find a test on the 124gr MC HP??

I seen this video a few times before and can't figure out why he is calling wolf hp 123 grains? 123 grains is the bear ammo hp.

11seekg.jpg

AIM surplus has the Wolf M.C. on sale for $4.59 per 20 rd. box.

It looks from the water jugs that the 8m3 HP is about as devestating as the Hornady V Max. Close enough for me, especially when I am paying $4.39 per 20 for 500 rounds.

From examining the water containers and wet paper media tests I would think they are fairly close enough in performance.

From the famous 2006 testing thread on theakforum there is a decently focused wet paper exit hole picture at 200 yards with 8m3.

Pretty big hole to say the least for 200 yards. That hole at 200 yards is larger than the tumbling yugo fmj hole at close range in the video in in the first post.

I would say that with the advent of this well designed bullet the russian engineers have made the nastiest wounding intermediate range bullet that has ever been exported

to the US from Russia. The bonus is it works fantastic on deer and hogs also. If the whitehouse ever shuts down foreign ammo imports, its nice to know there is a US bullet and load for 7.62x39 that works just as well as 8m3. Buy it cheap and stack it deep in your ammo stockpile.

at 200 yards

wmc20014nv.jpg

Edited by my762buzz
  • Like 3

Hmmmm. That is a freaking nasty-ass hole for 200 yards!!!!! That looks like a 3200 FPS M193 ball 5.56mm wound at 50 yards! Dammmmnnnnnn!

I have 500 rounds of Wolf MC 8m3 sealed up water tight and packed away, and another 200 in loose boxes in the .50 Cal ammo can with 700 Uly FMJ plinker ammo. I think I need to get another 500 rounds of it when I can while it is cheap, in case import dries up!

I second that rangemaster!!!! Didn't know how awesome the Wolf MC 124 gr. hollow point were. Have about 300 rounds myself. Definitely keep them away from the FMJ's!! Glad I'm a member of this forum, I've learned so much in just a few days!!

OK just to help clear things up for an old brain.... general consensus wolf mc 124 grain in what looks like cammo box best option, then generic wolf jhps along with various bear types as long as they range 122 to 124 grain?

Russian made hollow points in this order

(Most effective) Wolf MC/camo box 8m3 > Brown/silver/golden bear hp > Wolf Black box hp (least effective)

Edited by my762buzz
  • Like 1