Backyard 7.62x39 testing Yugo FMJ, Wolf 154grain sp, and vmax

These things are good to know and yeah shooting stuff is fun. This is why any one seriously stocking up has at least two grades of ammo, the everyday take out to the range or everyday load out and the more "humane" rounds. There is one caution, any bullet that fragments easily does not penetrate as well. You cant have it both ways the longer the thing stays together the more energy is retained to carry it though walls, level 3, etc etc etc. So don't put all the eggs in one basket.

There is nothing better to take to the range or form the backbone of your stores than the yugo. It wont last forever and someday we all will wish we bought more. But several hundred rounds of v max or soft point (Remington) cant be overlooked and one mag should be loaded with them on any load out.

Now if you really want to make holes I cant over recommend the 308 Saiga just happens to sell.

These things are good to know and yeah shooting stuff is fun. This is why any one seriously stocking up has at least two grades of ammo, the everyday take out to the range or everyday load out and the more "humane" rounds. There is one caution, any bullet that fragments easily does not penetrate as well. You cant have it both ways the longer the thing stays together the more energy is retained to carry it though walls, level 3, etc etc etc. So don't put all the eggs in one basket.

There is nothing better to take to the range or form the backbone of your stores than the yugo. It wont last forever and someday we all will wish we bought more. But several hundred rounds of v max or soft point (Remington) cant be overlooked and one mag should be loaded with them on any load out.

Now if you really want to make holes I cant over recommend the 308 Saiga just happens to sell.

I been wanting to test out the various hp at steel and compare to fmj. Someone put up a video of 3/8 inch plate shot with wolf hp. I think any of these types of 7.62x39 can easily cut through a car door and stay mostly intact. For any serious penetration work, I think I would get one of my launching platforms that send off 405 to 500 grain .458 diameter bullets at 1500-2000 fps.

Still interesting to see a 3/8 steel plate pierced by a 7.62x39 hollow point.

The wolf hp description is shown on the actual page the video is hosted on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zke2JLYWlMc&feature=watch_response_rev

One thing that must be considered is the effect passing though such material has on a round. If it tends to skew off at some large angle its still pretty much an issue. HP rounds just don't do it as well as FMJ and of course AP. This may not seem a large issue but folks ask anyone who has fought in heavy brush or CQ urban and it does matter. One of the drawbacks of 223 as we all know is penetration though cover. Pretty sure Box of Truth still has some of those up as well as a dozen other sources. No need to remake the wheel but then shooting is fun so have at it.

Granted the x39 isnt exactly my platform of choice for such but if what is in your hand is all you got then use it to your advantage. Personally Ive never seen anything shot with 30 cal do more than get up and bleed out elsewhere even fmj. It is not something to make light of as our casualty figures from Nam are witness.

The round is relatively accurate, light, cheap, dependable, and penetrates well. What more can be asked. Besides lugging around a 308 load out is tough on this old man.

• Like 2