Anyone have an Izhmash Saiga-12 Factory Grip?

I had a factory Izzy grip. I have the Molot grip and it is far better feeling to me. The lack of finger grooves on the factory grip make it difficult to instantly grip it 'just right' without needing to adjust. The finger grooves on the Molot grip instantly provide a 'guide' for the proper gripping position. I sold my Izzy grip and now have 6 Molot grips. That is a pretty good indicator of how much I like the Molot grip :smoke:

Thank you Mike!

• Like 2

I had a factory Izzy grip. I have the Molot grip and it is far better feeling to me. The lack of finger grooves on the factory grip make it difficult to instantly grip it 'just right' without needing to adjust. The finger grooves on the Molot grip instantly provide a 'guide' for the proper gripping position. I sold my Izzy grip and now have 6 Molot grips. That is a pretty good indicator of how much I like the Molot grip :smoke:

Thank you Mike!

What evlblkwpnz Said!

Edited by AZG

I haven't handled MD's version yet. I'm definitely going to get one though.

Even if I like it better than my factory Izhmash, I'm still going to keep the Izhmash. Maybe stick it in a parts box. Even if for nothing more than authenticity if I ever need it.

You can't beat MD's pricing though. Helluva lot cheaper than the factory original (when you can even find them).

• Like 1

I like Mike's a lot, but I love the feel of the factory Izzy. I really don't think you could go wrong with either, but Mike's is a hell of a lot less expensive. If he made a copy of the factory grip I'd buy one for every gun I own (well, almost). I've got 3 of ea. currently.

I have one of Mike's grips on my blue S-12. I like the feel of it. I like it much better than a Saw grip.

WJ

+1 to that. I didnt think i would like the finger grooves and was going to hold out for a non grooved version of the MDA grip, but the grooved version is extremely comfortable.

Question about the MDArms clone..........if you wanted to, could you file down the finger grooves, or are the grooves themselves hollow?

Im not sure about the grooves, I do know that the grip is mostly hollow. But have herd that during the testing of the Molot, they beat the Sh*t out of it and the screw broke before the grip did. Thats what sold me. I have 3, one on my S12, one on my x39, and one on my 308. Quite possibly the best grips I own. I love them. Very Comfortable. Very!

But to further your question, I believe you would be able to take the finger grooves down alil tiny tiny bit but it might affect the strength of the thing. Ill do some detective work tonight and hit you up to let you know. Maybe ill take some photos. We like photos. :lolol:

• Like 1

Question about the MDArms clone..........if you wanted to, could you file down the finger grooves, or are the grooves themselves hollow?

Im not sure about the grooves, I do know that the grip is mostly hollow. But have herd that during the testing of the Molot, they beat the Sh*t out of it and the screw broke before the grip did. Thats what sold me. I have 3, one on my S12, one on my x39, and one on my 308. Quite possibly the best grips I own. I love them. Very Comfortable. Very!

But to further your question, I believe you would be able to take the finger grooves down alil tiny tiny bit but it might affect the strength of the thing. Ill do some detective work tonight and hit you up to let you know. Maybe ill take some photos. We like photos. :lolol:

Cool, thanks man. I appreciate it.

I'm not even 100% sure I'll want to grind them off. I'm just curious if can, if I wanted to.

The grooves aren't offensive to hold and removing them would be counter-productive IMHO, it wouldn't leave it like the Izzy non grooved pistol grip. If you wanted to do that, you might as well buy a Galil grip which it would more closely resemble at that point.

well since everyone wants one, rusmilitary's furnature section has them. not sure if they'll ship to the US but Ive also herd from mr. hanky that there is a guy on ebay that if you ask him, he might hook you up with one. Names Urals, he sells moto parts but Ive herd other say just ask him. I donno, I wanted a paradox attachment for my S12 and some say he's the guy! but I have other fish to filet.

EDIT: I removed the link, not sure if were aloud to post external links to non business members.

Edited by AZG

Yeah, I already have a factory Izhmash grip, and I love the groovelessness (<--whoa, I just made up a word) of it. That's why I was curious about the MD clone and if it could be ground down, if I felt the need. (Which I'm not even sure if I'll want to or not)

I'm not even 100% sure I'll want to grind them off. I'm just curious if can, if I wanted to.

Anytime buddy! I think its smoothe on the inside makeing me think that the groovy part is solid material......man...someone could twist this sentance around pretty bad if they wanted.

Here you go my friend. Wasnt too sure exactly what you wanted to see but here you go. If you ask me, I think you can do it. It look just thick enough to get rid of those grooves. Id be really careful though.

post-24335-0-68223500-1289267076_thumb.jpg

post-24335-0-57255400-1289267107_thumb.jpg

post-24335-0-50947300-1289267124_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, I already have a factory Izhmash grip, and I love the groovelessness (<--whoa, I just made up a word) of it. That's why I was curious about the MD clone and if it could be ground down, if I felt the need. (Which I'm not even sure if I'll want to or not)

Someone has 'smoothed' one. I can't remember where I saw it. It could have been akforum or.... barfcom :unsure:

I saw it within the last week. I wouldn't mind one with the top finger groove left on it and the bottom one removed. I still like that instant 'guide' feel of it.

• Like 1

Here you go, check this out...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=57938&st=0&p=548037&hl=Molot&fromsearch=1entry548037

Not a how to or anything but there are pictures and some info.

Edit; evlblckwpnz even replied in the thread :haha:

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 1

Anytime buddy! I think its smoothe on the inside makeing me think that the groovy part is solid material......man...someone could twist this sentance around pretty bad if they wanted.

:lolol:

Here you go my friend. Wasnt too sure exactly what you wanted to see but here you go. If you ask me, I think you can do it. It look just thick enough to get rid of those grooves. Id be really careful though.

Perfect. Thanks for the pics, man. Much appreciated. :beer:

Someone has 'smoothed' one. I can't remember where I saw it. It could have been akforum or.... barfcom :unsure:

I saw it within the last week. I wouldn't mind one with the top finger groove left on it and the bottom one removed. I still like that instant 'guide' feel of it.

Yeah, the pic in the link below of the one with the top groove left in place does look comfortable and usable.

Here you go, check this out...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=57938&st=0&p=548037&hl=Molot&fromsearch=1entry548037

Not a how to or anything but there are pictures and some info.

Edit; evlblckwpnz even replied in the thread :haha:

Cool, thanks for the link. I'm liking that stippled one.

As for the question of removing groves, another member here did in fact remove the lower bump without issues.

If a person has an Izhmash grip, I would suggest holding onto it for collectors value.

I'm currently running the MD-Molot & the only thing that would make me happier is if it were made out of Bakelite like the Polish grip in my avatar so it would match my wood, which I stained to match the Polish Bakelite grip.

I just like the color.