http://cavemancircus.com/2009/07/18/top-10-videos-of-girls-shooting-guns-that-they-shouldnt-be/

I didn't link this to show women being hurt/frightened by guns, many of which are too big and powerful for them.

Rather, I wanted to show how people get hurt because the people they TRUST to show them the right way, let

them down by not teaching them how to shoulder a gun, how to shoot it, firearms safety, or anything before

"Hey babe, just point it that way and pull the trigger." Also, many of those weapons I wouldn't want to shoot

more than a couple times myself.

You don't give a girl a .454 Casul for her first time shooting a pistol.

• Like 2

Dittos--I've llost count of how many times I've seen it at the range and wished I could get away with Gibbs-slapping the jackasses... and there've been a few of those gals where I wished I could offer myself as a candidate to replace the morons called "their guys".

My sister was terrified of guns before I took her shooting (a mixture of us not growing up around guns at all, and one of her friends' face being blown off by a 12ga because him and a friend were messing around with his dad's gun when they were in middle school).

I started her out on my 9mm AR15. She had a blast and was even surprised herself at how much fun she had. Had I started her out on my S12 loaded with slugs.......her reaction to guns in general probably would have been a lot different, in a negative way.

• Like 2

When my second daughter was nine years old I took her shooting with a .22 pistol at an indoor range. Unfortunately, someone has a .44 magnum in the stall next to us. The loud report scared her and may have turned her off to shooting. I had a friend a few stalls away with his pistol gripped 870 pump gun without a stock. I fired it and the recoil hit me in the chin. Now she doesn't want to shoot anymore. What can I do to get her back into shooting so I can make it a family event? The girls in her class might have also said something to her which also had a negative effect against shooting on her.

I never got what was so funny about "110lb woman firing 50 BMG" videos

I mean, really, if there's something that could turn a new shooter away forever, make you look like a chauvinist jackass, and stereotype gun owners as stupid rednecks, it would be those videos.

Ditto!

When my second daughter was nine years old I took her shooting with a .22 pistol at an indoor range. Unfortunately, someone has a .44 magnum in the stall next to us. The loud report scared her and may have turned her off to shooting. I had a friend a few stalls away with his pistol gripped 870 pump gun without a stock. I fired it and the recoil hit me in the chin. Now she doesn't want to shoot anymore. What can I do to get her back into shooting so I can make it a family event? The girls in her class might have also said something to her which also had a negative effect against shooting on her.

Could try maybe something in a .22. They are always fun to shoot, not too loud and no recoil. If you can shoot outdoors try shooting at apples or potatoes for fun targets.

Do not show her these videos. Oh, and 22 is the way to go. If you go indoors, call them up and ask them what day/what time they're slow.

I agree with the .22 in an outdoor setting. Even better if you know someone with some land. Make it father/daughter day with just you two and no one else to bother you with big bore toys. I unintentionally scared the bejeezus out of an elderly lady in the next stall, with my AR that had a Miculek brake on it. That thing was LOUD. Even more so for anyone next to me.

Hello

Humor aside, that's kinda like taking your new 12 week old bird dog pup out and blasting both barrels of a 12 gauge over the top of her to see if she's gunshy.....Well, if she wasn't already......

Gotta give 'em credit for trying, and in the case of the Valley Girl attired one, trying the P/G shottie TWICE!

Personally, I think this is more a montage of men "fail" than women.

Maybe I'm just twisted 'cause I have DIL's, granddaughters, etc. that I struggle with getting to the range and getting enthused about shooting. It's tough in todays political market. Even in Texas.

JMHO.....

-guido

Hello, Kliegl

Well then dammit, I agree!

Respectfully,

-guido

Personally, I think this is more a montage of men "fail" than women.

JMHO.....

-guido

Yeah, that was sort of my original point in making this thread. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

I was at a GSSF Glock match in Pensacola yesterday and watched a few of girls shoot followed by their dads in some cases or boyfriend or husband in others. It was very predicable if the girls did OK the male did OK, if the girls couldn't shoot you could tell who trained them.

Usually you could tell how it was going to go before a shot was fired poor shooting stance and grip from both of them results in a lot of plates still standing on a plate rack.

It would be great if a good shooter could take the girls to the side for a few minutes and give them some basic instructions and then let them go back and kick the men's butts.

Also agree that giving some small framed unprepared person male or female a heavy recoiling gun is something that isn't funny unless after they shoot it they can kicks the guy in the balls as part of the "now that's funny" stuff.

Edited by Saiga20mags.com

I've brought a few girls to the range to teach them. I usualy start out with the 5.56 AR, It helps get a lot of the negative ideas out of their head, and having had more formal training in the weapon myself I find it a easier base to start with when teaching myself.

By the time I work them up to the S-12 they're suprised they can handle it too, and how its really not that bad.

Reactive targets add to the fun.

• Like 1

My girl respects firearms and follows general safety. However her mom is half retarded. She came over a while back and was in my office. I had my Sig 238 sitting in it's holster on my desk while I was home from lunch. She picks it up and aims it at her face with her finger on the trigger asking "Is this thing real, it looks like a toy" while staring down the barrel! Thankfully I always un-chamber the gun when I take it off and keep the safety on. Although the magazine is still full. First time I almost punched a woman, Cussed her out and made her cry and hopefully she'll never do something that stupid again in her life. She's a hippie and thinks guns are bad and no one should have them also.

You mention this is your second daughter. My second daughter (third child overall) was near phobic about guns. I don't know why.

I was showing her younger sister how to hold a gun and we were going over the basic 4 rules of gun safety and I noticed my second daughter was listening at the door. Eventually, she got up the courage and picked up an unloaded, action open handgun. A few days later, she and I went to the range with a Marlin Model 60 and she was hooked. Especially because it meant one on one time with Dad (a rarity when you are one of five children).

I then went to full-size .40 handguns with her. I think, at times, we make the mistake of thinking a small gun for a small person. But a Keltec 3AT or a LCP are buggers to shoot! I nice big semi absorbs the recoil much better IMHO.

She likes shooting now and is not afraid of guns. Bonus side is that her initial "fear" has led to a healthy respect. I have never had to tell her to keep her finger off the trigger or watch her muzzle.

would be funny to watch except for the fact that so much could go wrong in one of those scenarios. many guys think that just because they shoot they are good at training as well, obviously not true. I come from a long line of hunters and military men, and confident shooting most any weapon within reason. Still when I took my wife and daughter to the range, both were nervous and afraid of guns, they shot with my ruger .22. we even covered all gun safety and range etiquette before leaving the house. It wouldn't be funny for me to watch my wife or daughter fall over or get hurt or worse shoot somebody because I wanted to scare them. Mine will learn as I did. Safety and marksmanship first. Soon we will go out to learn on the 12 gauge. The wife has already expressed an interest in skeet. Guys, please be careful out there and don't be embarrassed to have a pro teach them if need be.

• Like 1

I first took my wife out shooting with a Ruger 10/22 with a heavy barrel...yeah ZERO RECOIL. Then I stepped her up to a Walther P22...showing her the same round in a lighter weapon will cause more perceived recoil. Then I made the mistake, not really a mistake, of showing her how to shoot my RRA AR15. Ummm....yeah she shoots it more accurately then I do at 50 yards...that is an ego bender for a 10 year Marine Staff Sergeant. Best thing is, I guess, she cant hit the broard side of a barn past that. LOL!

Train them, female/kids/ect, and they will appreciate and maybe even surpass your skill level. My son, who is 8 years old, can hit pop-cans at 20 ft. Thats not a huge distance but I bet if I keep training him he'll be better then me someday. Not only that but he can recite the weapons safety rules to me by memory.

My girl respects firearms and follows general safety. However her mom is half retarded. She came over a while back and was in my office. I had my Sig 238 sitting in it's holster on my desk while I was home from lunch. She picks it up and aims it at her face with her finger on the trigger asking "Is this thing real, it looks like a toy" while staring down the barrel! Thankfully I always un-chamber the gun when I take it off and keep the safety on. Although the magazine is still full. First time I almost punched a woman, Cussed her out and made her cry and hopefully she'll never do something that stupid again in her life. She's a hippie and thinks guns are bad and no one should have them also.

She won't be saying that when the zombies come!!!