Crazy idea... belt-fed S12?

So, I've been looking for a way to build a particular belt-fed weapon from a game using live-iron mechanicals, and I figure a 12ga slug-gun is the easiest way to go large-bore without LBDD.

Interim thought: adapting the RPK belt-feed design to fit the S12 as a starting point.

The ultimate goal: the C-14 Impaler from StarCraft II, albeit as a conventional semiauto firearm rather than a select-fire gauss-rifle.

The design:

Impalerschematic.gif

Image is from the instructions of a card-model I'm using as a reference. Dimensions look more like they're for the model than the "genuine article".

Complications: the Impaler design is known to include both stiletto-bayonet and light integral to the forearm, and I can find no evidence of magazine, magwell or even sights (unless there's a targeting reticle projected inside the user's helmet).

The big question: does this look like something S12 guts can be adapted to, or would I better off to start from "clean sheet of paper"?

Edited by Diamondback

The design:

Impalerschematic.gif

The big question: does this look like something S12 guts can be adapted to, or would I better off to start from "clean sheet of paper"?

I can see a converted s-12, with the gas block moved back and the barrel cut in there.

cobra has a pic of a bandolier hangin out the side of an S-12, its not a belt fed gun. it just looks like it in the picture.;)

I have however seen a beltfed shotgun on youtube and the guy is firing it but it looked to be some kind of homemade contraption from the ground up.

As far as makin that design work with an S-12 I dont have much to offer except to say where theres a will, theres a way!

So, I've been looking for a way to build a particular belt-fed weapon from a game using live-iron mechanicals, and I figure a 12ga slug-gun is the easiest way to go large-bore without LBDD.

Interim thought: adapting the RPK belt-feed design to fit the S12 as a starting point.

The ultimate goal: the C-14 Impaler from StarCraft II, albeit as a conventional semiauto firearm rather than a select-fire gauss-rifle.

You'll shoot your eye out kid.

RPK's are magazine fed just like an AK or Saiga. The belt fed PK machine gun was designed by Kalashnikov but is a medium machinegun and a very different weapon from the AK. I imagine it would be nearly impossible to adapt a Saiga 12 to function akin to a PK or be run belt fed.

Attaching a feed cover and feed tray would be required, not sure how. The bolt and trigger system would have to use an open bolt setup also, this would be very difficult.

I think it would be much easier to mess with a PK receiver and possibly use a modified S12 bolt and barrel. I could see some ejection issues with that though.

What if you made a drum attachment that had a feeding and de-linking mechanism in it and the whole thing attached like a drum/mag? it would need some type of power supply, could be a wind up spring or a motor and power pack

That would probably be the best way to do it.

It could be box like and flat perpendicular to the weapon. The feed pawls could be run if an extension to the bottom of the bolt protruded through the bottom of the receiver or magwell.

What if you made a drum attachment that had a feeding and de-linking mechanism in it and the whole thing attached like a drum/mag? it would need some type of power supply, could be a wind up spring or a motor and power pack

It could be box like and flat perpendicular to the weapon. The feed pawls could be run if an extension to the bottom of the bolt protruded through the bottom of the receiver or magwell.

For a setup like that you would definitely have to crank up the gas system to 11.

Diamondback; you're on crack, (not the first time I've thought so :D ).

I'm sure a belt-fed S-12 would be possible.. but for the amount of modification/cost involved.. the fuck's the point?

This is a 12-ga weapon, not some variety of .30 cal + rifle. It'll never fill the role that a SAW does, (nor should it).

I s'pose ymmv.. but this just seems like something that might be interesting to talk about and consider, yet is utterly impractical and silly to actually build.

12-ga 20-rnd drums are good enough for me. ;)

For a setup like that you would definitely have to crank up the gas system to 11.

lol Yep, along with the amp. :D

cobra has a pic of a bandolier hangin out the side of an S-12, its not a belt fed gun. it just looks like it in the picture.;)

I have however seen a beltfed shotgun on youtube and the guy is firing it but it looked to be some kind of homemade contraption from the ground up.

As far as makin that design work with an S-12 I dont have much to offer except to say where theres a will, theres a way!

That was an April Fools joke I played several years ago. Dinzag has a pic of it posted on his site and we still get a good laugh from it once in awhile when someone requests info on where to get one. :lolol:

Keep up the creative ideas there Diamondback. I like your imagination and desire to take things to a new level. :smoke:

Problem is the rimmed rounds. If you put them on a belt, they have to be removed rearward. They can't just be shoved out of the belt and into the chamber like on an Mg-42, M-60, M-249, Stoner 63, etc. You'd need an action more like a Browning 1919 or M2.

It could be done and it could be semi-auto but, it wouldn't be a saiga anymore when you got done.

If you could come up with a belt design that would allow rimmed rounds to be forward stripped then, all you'd have to do is flip the gun upside down and add the needed bits.

Thanks, guys.

Idea: for a belt-fed 12ga, would it work to add a sleeve around the shell bringing it up to the rim's diameter? I envision a loose fit with some kind of stand-off tabs keeping the sleeve far enough from the rim for extractors to grab, the loose fit being so the extractor would rotate the tab out of the way if necessary.

Big reason I leaped to an S12 action was I was thinking "a large-bore that I'm already studying, with a chance of not being a Large Bore Destructive Device", along with some degree of common spare-parts with Abomination and Vera--it does look like the Impaler is better adapted to something like a Ma Deuce or cut-down Barrett-style design.

Post-A, the only thing I'm on is lots of caffeine, but I am obliged to note that I'm, ah... shall we say, "not totally sane"?lol

No, that wouldn't work. You'd have to find a way to remove this sleeve thing from the shell before it enters the chamber. The 12 gauge headspaces on the rim so, the shell forward of that, cannot really be altered.

I swear the same topics keep coming back...

A PK machinegun uses a 7.62x54r the browning designs work but a 12ga will be a pain.

The question is what benifits does it have over the mag fed... none. The gun will be heavyer and bulky. You would need a big box for the ammo belt also.