Anyone tried the new Texas Weapons System dog leg rail/dust cover repl

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Tyranny Response Team"

Engrave: "Smile & wait for flash!"     Or, if I put it on My Saiga 223, I can have it say "Black Betty".

I received mine as well and just installed it on my 74.   Bad cell phone pics, but you get the idea. Took about 5 minutes to file a tiny bit off the bottom "wings" of the rear recoil rod assembly th

OK, I just found Rafaga's weight measurements on theakforum.net. They follow below:

Got some numbers for the rail weight and such for comparison. Keep in mind that this was weighed on a 4 dollar cheapie weight scale from Harbor freight. Numbers may be off by a .1 or so.

On my ak ( Polish UF ) it goes this way.

GenII rail with GenII rear peep, pin and e-clip = 4.96oz

GenII rail with GenII rear peep , pin, e-clip and Aimpoint Micro R1 = 8.7oz

GenII thumblatch = 1.32 oz

GenII Rear peep alone = .5oz

AIMPOINT R1 Weight = 3.74oz with battery and built in mount.

Stock dust cover = 3.0 oz

Stock Thumb latch = 1.37 oz

Stock Leaf sight = .87oz

So for comparision in my situation:

Stock leaf sight, rear cover and Thumb latch = 5.24oz

GenII conversion with Aimpint Micro R1 = 8.7oz

So in my case.......The stock cover, thumb latch and rear leaf sight came in at 5.24oz

The GenII system alone without optics is 6.28oz ( gain of 1.04oz )

The GenII system with Micro R1 mounted is 8.7oz ( gain of 3.46oz )

From his measurements and description, it is obvious that he has the standard AK top cover, yet he still comes out (prior to adding the optic itself) with a slight negative increase by adding the rail system. Since the Saiga top cover weighs 1.5 ounces more than the ribbed top cover, adding this system to the Saiga would result in a just-over 1.5 ounces decrease in weight (once again, before adding the optic). This beats even the Ultimak.

A nice accomplishment. If good reviews continue for several months after the product ships widely, I may consider getting one for my wife's rifle. I'm holding out for Horse's Micro side mount for my own rifles, since I prefer the leaf sight over the peep.

• 1 month later...

My TWS gen 2 is now mounted to my s308. I really dont see this thing moving, it is very solid, and well thought out. didnt need to do any final fitting, it mounted right up. IMHO, ultimak can take as long as they want now for the 308, as a better product is out.

Did you do anything to replace the buffer attached to the factory bullet button?

Let us know how it holds up after some range sessions.

Thanks.

My TWS gen 2 is now mounted to my s308. I really dont see this thing moving, it is very solid, and well thought out. didnt need to do any final fitting, it mounted right up. IMHO, ultimak can take as long as they want now for the 308, as a better product is out.

gallery_101_548_16627.jpg

Edited by SOPMOD

I finally got around to cutting and grinding mine to fit. I had to trim it to fit on the receiver and then I had to remove a lot of material to get it to clear the charging handle. I still need to decide how I'm going to address the bolt carrier stop. I could move the factory piece over to the TWS part or I might just trim a recoil buffer to fit in their. The first seems better, the latter seems easier, and easier to reverse if I decide I want the cover on another gun.

I also need taller rings to get the scope to fit. I was hoping the rings I had would work as part of the appeal of the TWS mount was to keep the scope as low as possible. After I work out the buffer and get some rings I may actually get around to shooting it, lol.

• 6 months later...

Any updates on this? Thinking about getting one for my s308.

I've examined a Saiga 308 with one installed. Looks great on the gun. But the spacer TWS supplies is kludgy. I wish they'd find another solution, because the rail could be a great option for S308 owners. As it is, when the bolt carrier hits the spacer, it causes the rear recoil spring guide to move forward. They've changed the operating system of the AK (on the spacer-equipped S308 version at least) and it makes me nervous. I also don't like the fact that the ejection port area is not as large when using the TWS receiver cover.

Great idea, questionable execution. Maybe in a year or so, they'll have it completely ironed out.

Edited by Jim Digriz

I have the TWS Gen2 rail on my S-308 with a 3-9x Redfield (one of the new ones made by Leupold). I have both takedown buttons. The one with the spacer they make for the .308 just plain does not work in my rifle, it will not let the button come back far enough to hold the rail down tight and it wobbles around. I have the standard TWS takedown button installed now with a blackjack buffer to handle spacer duties. It's a kludge and I'm not happy with that aspect of it, but it seems to be working fine and the rail is held down tight with this arrangement.

The stock Saiga 308 comes with some sort of recoil buffer on the rear recoil rod. There seems to be no equivalent feature on the dog leg rail's rod. Just curious whether this could become a problem; presumably the engineers at Izhmesh thought it was necessary.

Not hijacking or , but this modification is necessary for you saiga 308 guys. Without the factory bump stop in place, the bolt will slide back too far upon racking or firing and possibly work its way out of the reciever. This can cause a pretty nasty jam in the field. Do yourself a favor and re-use the factory bump stop (easy, match drill location and re-pin it) to prevent this.

I still have some more range testing to do, but my tws rail (gen 2) seems alright thus far. As far as I can tell, its holding zero. Its not as bombproof as a pso on a sidemount, but so far I have no rcomplaints. For a rifle not setup with a sidemount, this could be a great setup.

Not hijacking or , but this modification is necessary for you saiga 308 guys. Without the factory bump stop in place, the bolt will slide back too far upon racking or firing and possibly work its way out of the reciever. This can cause a pretty nasty jam in the field. Do yourself a favor and re-use the factory bump stop (easy, match drill location and re-pin it) to prevent this.

I looked into doing this, but IIRC that would have left insufficient material on one side of the hole you'd have to drill, and could compromise the strength of the takedown button. Since the TWS supplied spacer/button assembly turned out to be FUBAR, I decided that a thin blackjack buffer would be the best solution, and will just change it out when it is starting to get worn. I'm keeping a spare in the compartment in my AKBG.

I still have some more range testing to do, but my tws rail (gen 2) seems alright thus far. As far as I can tell, its holding zero. Its not as bombproof as a pso on a sidemount, but so far I have no rcomplaints. For a rifle not setup with a sidemount, this could be a great setup.

Well, I'll know if mine is holding zero next time I take it to the range. FWIW, I couldn't get a PSOP to hold zero when removed from and reinstalled on the side mount. I've also got a stock that folds to the left side installed on mine, which wasn't possible with the side mount. If the TWS rail continues to work out for me, I'm probably going to remove the side rail entirely at some point.

Edited by Netpackrat