Anyone tried the new Texas Weapons System dog leg rail/dust cover repl

wow I just noticed this thread and Im lovin the engraving ideas!!!

I'll be thinking on this more today but off the top of my head I'm thinkin:

"just point and click" or "click click boom boom boom boom boom...........cont."

and I saw a Homer Simpson quote I liked that said something like-

"I feel powerful when holding this gun, like God ...if he were holding this gun"

I liked Chilli's "Metal Masturbation" quote but I was thinking either

"Metal up your ass" or " Ride the Lightning"

Damn, these engraving ideas should all be in there own sticky thread!!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Tyranny Response Team"

Engrave: "Smile & wait for flash!"     Or, if I put it on My Saiga 223, I can have it say "Black Betty".

I received mine as well and just installed it on my 74.   Bad cell phone pics, but you get the idea. Took about 5 minutes to file a tiny bit off the bottom "wings" of the rear recoil rod assembly th

tons of posts on engraving....but back to the op's question......has anyone tried it out yet and can give some details on performance of it???

How about a little reading comprehension FTW :rolleyes:

No one besides the manufacturer and his closest buddies has even held one.

1st production run models are just coming out for sale to Beta testers, and will arrive in about a week +/-.

No details yet.

tons of posts on engraving....but back to the op's question......has anyone tried it out yet and can give some details on performance of it???

How about a little reading comprehension FTW :rolleyes:

No one besides the manufacturer and his closest buddies has even held one.

1st production run models are just coming out for sale to Beta testers, and will arrive in about a week +/-.

No details yet.

Oh man is it just a week left??? I've been trying not to think about it the wait is killing me. Now all I need is a couple hundred more rounds to give it a proper report. The 40 rds. I've got left just won't do justice.

• 4 weeks later...

I just put one of these on order about a week ago as well as the peep sight.

Later received an e-mail:

"Dear Customer,

TWS is currently processing orders for the next batch of Gen2 Dog Leg Rails - with integral dust cover.

Expected delivery time is approximately the second week of January.

A Paypal invoice will be sent to your email address.

Once payment is received, you will be guaranteed a Gen2 rail and rear peep from the next batch.

Wishing you and your family a wonderful holiday season.

Regards,

Mary

TWS"

Can't wait to check this thing out. I didn't see an option for engraving though. Wanted to get "Beast Rape" on it lol. That might be a lil extreme though.

I got this email yesterday:

"Dear Beta Tester,

First let me thank you for your help and patience so far in making this project possible. Today we shipped all, but a small handful of the beta test units. Unfortunately, your product did not make it through quality inspection for the hard anodize finish and is being stripped and refinished. We are doing our very best to get the problem corrected so we can ship to you by the end of this week. While this project has taken considerably longer than expected we believe you will find the finished product to be well worth the wait.

Your tracking information will be emailed to you when your order is shipped."

The communication updates from TWS have been great. I'm looking forward to putting it through the paces.

Edited by Simply Saiga

I received mine as well and just installed it on my 74.

Bad cell phone pics, but you get the idea. Took about 5 minutes to file a tiny bit off the bottom "wings" of the rear recoil rod assembly they give you to get a tighter fit with the dust cover. Just removed the rear piece of the factory recoil rod, replaced with theirs and put the factory spring and front piece of the recoil assembly back together. I removed the rear sight leaf spring while I was test fitting but put it back in once I mounted it for real. As with anything AK the parts are adjustable front to rear so the rear of the dust cover is tight in the rear trunnion and the hinge piece is held in by a pin and E-clip seen in the photo.

Hope to get it out this weekend to the range, but it looks like it's going to be solid.

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

Edited by towerofpower93
  • Like 1

Bad cell phone pics, but you get the idea. Took about 5 minutes to file a tiny bit off the bottom "wings" of the rear recoil rod assembly they give you to get a tighter fit with the dust cover. Just removed the rear piece of the factory recoil rod, replaced with theirs and put the factory spring and front piece of the recoil assembly back together. I removed the rear sight leaf spring while I was test fitting but put it back in once I mounted it for real. As with anything AK the parts are adjustable front to rear so the rear of the dust cover is tight in the rear trunnion and the hinge piece is held in by a pin and E-clip seen in the photo.

Hope to get it out this weekend to the range, but it looks like it's going to be solid.

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

How well does that rear peep line up with the front sight? It looks higher than the factory rear sight...

The peep is a little taller overall than the notch of the factory rear sight but the hole inside is fairly large and doesn't appear to be much higher than the factory rear sight. I laser bore sighted my eotech today and for S&Gs I took a look at the irons with it as well. Taking the usual stance, cheeckweld and grip I normally do it looked like it was still dead center left/right if I quickly snapped to a sight picture. The elevation may be a tiny bit different, but that's a much easier fix than getting the left/right good to go.

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

This is EXACTLY the solution I have wanted for my Saiga 308 if it holds zero. I have wanted to install the AK100 stock I have laying around here on MY Saiga 308 but the scope mounting options have precluded me from doing so.Please let us know how consistent your POI and Zero remain with this mount and flip that top cover up a few time intermittently to see if it causes a loss of Zero retention.

That is a Bad Ass setup Towerofpower93(and I normally don't even use the expletive "Bad Ass")!

The stock Saiga 308 comes with some sort of recoil buffer on the rear recoil rod. There seems to be no equivalent feature on the dog leg rail's rod. Just curious whether this could become a problem; presumably the engineers at Izhmesh thought it was necessary.

Also, are there any specs on this thing? I'm curious how much total weight the system adds to the rifle. This could turn out to be the best answer for my wife's rifle, if it is light-weight. She has trouble with the stock sights and does much better with a peep (although she would usually rely on the red dot, but I want her to be able to use irons too).

The stock Saiga 308 comes with some sort of recoil buffer on the rear recoil rod. There seems to be no equivalent feature on the dog leg rail's rod. Just curious whether this could become a problem; presumably the engineers at Izhmesh thought it was necessary.

Also, are there any specs on this thing? I'm curious how much total weight the system adds to the rifle. This could turn out to be the best answer for my wife's rifle, if it is light-weight. She has trouble with the stock sights and does much better with a peep (although she would usually rely on the red dot, but I want her to be able to use irons too).

Minor modification from Chayfo

pushbutton_mod.jpg

Drill a hole through the new unit in the exact same location and viola!

Please don't be offended but is there any particular reason you have your wife running one of the heaviest AK and Ammo combos available if she is weight sensitive? My wife works out, is extremely athletic and used to be a cop but I wouldn't expect her to wield anything heavier than an AK74 or 223 Saiga because she is still a 5ft10in human being that weighs 135lbs.

Edited by SOPMOD
Please don't be offended but is there any particular reason you have your wife running one of the heaviest AK and Ammo combos available if she is weight sensitive? My wife works out, is extremely athletic and used to be a cop but I wouldn't expect her to wield anything heavier than an AK74 or 223 Saiga because she is still a 5ft10in human being that weighs 135lbs.

I guess I could have made the distinction between my two questions in my post. I was curious about the solution for the S308, but my wife actually uses my Saiga 5.45 and .223 rifles. Two totally different questions really.

Edited by Jim Digriz

I guess I could have made the distinction between my two questions in my post. I was curious about the solution for the S308, but my wife actually uses my Saiga 5.45 and .223 rifles. Two totally different questions really.

Oh, my bad

I have been told the thing is feather light but since I do not own one yet all I can refer to are the reviews that say the thing that surprises them the most upon unboxing is how light it is.

Edited by SOPMOD

TWS covered the weight question somewhere along the process of designing and testing and the total addition only came to 4oz or something crazy like that. Removing the hefty Com-bloc dust cover and putting their parts on didn't add up to much of a difference. Plus the weight is over the receiver, not hanging out there closer to the muzzle. I've noticed no difference except less roll due to the Eotech sitting lower than any side rail mount option.

Taking it to the range this weekend so we'll see how it does with retaining zero. I think it's going to be a winner though since there is a little resistance between the bottom rear of the dust cover and the rear trunion where the two interface. No noticeable wiggle with everything locked up...but we'll see.

Eric

I haven't put each set of parts on a scale but the thing is pretty light. It can not be adding much weight at all, none that is perceivable to me. If one were super concerned they could remove the side rail and I'd bet that would make it pretty close to the same weight as the factory setup.

Edited by Zambidis

Jim,

The net added weight of the DogLeg mount is very small. Because the weight of the steel cover is removed the DL adds a net of 1.4 ounces to the rifle.

Rafaga

• Like 1

Jim,

The net added weight of the DogLeg mount is very small. Because the weight of the steel cover is removed the DL adds a net of 1.4 ounces to the rifle.

Rafaga

Thanks for the reply. Is this net 1.4 ounces addition in comparison to a ribbed top cover, or the Saiga smooth top cover? The Saiga cover weighs 1.5 ounces more than a ribbed cover already, so if the comparison was to a ribbed cover, the net addition of the DL on a Saiga is just slightly negative. Very impressive if so, but good in either case.

Jim

EDIT: I assume the weight comparison does not include the peep sight. How much does that weigh?

Edited by Jim Digriz