8 members have voted

1. 1. AR-10 Options..

• Armalite
    • RRA

What purpose do you have in mind for an AR-10? "Boston T. Party" comes out strongly against them in "Boston's Gun Bible", saying the reliability issues preclude them from being a serious battle rifle. (He prefers the M1A and the FAL, but does put in a nice word for the Saiga 308 later in the book).

Like an MBR roll.

I like 308.. and figured an AR should be original.. hence the Armalite name tossed in here..

Figure 100-400 yards + maybe with GOOD red-dot EOtech 65/1 comes to mind.. :super:

The only other thing stopping me is BREAK DOWN to clean it.. :cryss:

I don't like small parts..

I'd say FAL but they to me are not pretty.. and AR's are common in NJ where I shoot mostly..

Like an MBR roll.

I like 308.. and figured an AR should be original.. hence the Armalite name tossed in here..

Figure 100-400 yards + maybe with GOOD red-dot EOtech 65/1 comes to mind.. :super:

The only other thing stopping me is BREAK DOWN to clean it.. :cryss:

I don't like small parts..

I'd say FAL but they to me are not pretty.. and AR's are common in NJ where I shoot mostly..

Have a look at Boston's extensive review. He used the AR10 for years, but finally became fed up with it. He ranked it below the M1, the M1A, the FAL, and the HK91, despite rating it highest in accuracy and ergonomics (if I remember correctly).

What would you need an AR10 to do that your Saiga 308 won't do?

I'm an FAL fan so neither? In reality though I have at least a couple hundred rounds down range with both the POF and the Rock River. The POF had more failures although it was slightly (and when I mean slightly, I mean not by enough to matter) more accurate. I think this had to do with the barrel being better then the one on the RRA. Don't neuter it by getting the 16" barrel (takes it to the ballistics of the x39), stick with 18", heavy barrel helps soak some recoil as well as gives you a tad more accuracy so don't look at this as your lightest rifle, you'll want the weight.

Good luck!

I bought an Armalite, DPMS and POF. I kept the POF and sold the others.

Tony

Cheapest one I saw over at GB was $2200.00 :ph34r: (POF that is) and had a 16" barrel on it. I guess we were running mediocre ammo when we shot the POF? Finding an 18" barrel model seems some what difficult, any reasoning behind that?

Hello

I have a RRA LAR 16". Amazingly accurate gun with the proper loads. It hates anything lighter than 180 grain bullets, comes alive with 185 boat tails. Likes 'em to be loaded pretty hot.

It has a BHO, but no LRBHO. Mag's load on a closed bolt just fine. Mag's are as cheap and plentiful as anything out there.

This gun is no featherweight, but if you're looking for a Stoner-style .308 you better be ready for that.

The RRA was built from the ground up to be purpose-built for the .308, as opposed to being remanufactured .223 parts as some earlier manufacturer's were. So, it's maybe a bit heftier that some competing models, including the AR-10's. But, it's pretty damn bulletproof.

I've had two FTE's with my LAR, out of maybe 1,000, and I suspect faulty handloads on both of them. I trust it completely.

-I ordered mine when RRA first announced 'em, and waited 20 months for them to be delivered.

I have a good buddy who has both LAR and AR-10's. He takes his out hog hunting frequently, and prefers the AR 'cause it's a tad lighter. Since he walks for miles and is out for hours, that makes a big difference for him. He hates buying mag's for it, though.

He has three AR-10's, two are great shooters, one is a POS. He claims that is just how the AR's are....Just the luck of the draw.

Here's my LAR:

post-3965-0-07849600-1289324933_thumb.jpg

post-3965-0-31575900-1289324952_thumb.jpg

(with a couple of hot-rod parts attached...)

Respectfully,

-guido

Stay away from the Armalite. Not very reliable. We did not have good luck with them on the teams (SF).

Got the new kid on the block also, the LaRue OBR. Little pricey, but so far it has been doing pretty good. Had some problems with port size/running cans and reliability but it is squared away now. Got a new gas block with a lever for running with or with out the can. Some SF teams are going with this gun.

POF is hard to beat. Neck and Neck with the LaRue.

DPMS/RRA both good guns. I can shoot whatever I want but I have a custom built (by me) DPMS for competition and it is my "End of World" gun. Great reliability and it gets the living shit beat out of it. I won't get into accuracy, but I shoot pretty damn good and it can still out shoot me. It can equal any gun out there (Gas Guns) in that department. I also run the 16" upper if I need it. This one has a custom 20" barrel and JP Brake. I change optics like socks, but this Falcon, by Horus Vision, is outstanding once you get up to speed with the optic, the software and a good PDA to play with.

Take a hard look at twist rates and know what you want to do with it. You have many options out there now.

Jack

JT Engineering

www.jtengineering.org

post-11998-0-97797900-1289327213_thumb.jpg

Edited by jdtravers

Looking at the LAR-8 308A1279 with 20" SS barrell and 1/10 twist.. comes with VORTEX FH and 2 stage trigger..

Has a half-quad free float HG on it also..

Theres also a PREDATOR model for about the same price for $150 less but no FH on it.. and has full RRA handguard..

http://www.ar15-ar15.com/Rock_River_Arms_LAR_8_Predator_HP_A4_20_p/9372702.htm

How do these options look??

Says under 1MOA for both models..

Which model would you suggest for under $1500???

Looking at the LAR-8 308A1279 with 20" SS barrell and 1/10 twist.. comes with VORTEX FH and 2 stage trigger..

Has a half-quad free float HG on it also..

Theres also a PREDATOR model for about the same price for $150 less but no FH on it.. and has full RRA handguard..

http://www.ar15-ar15.com/Rock_River_Arms_LAR_8_Predator_HP_A4_20_p/9372702.htm

How do these options look??

Says under 1MOA for both models..

Which model would you suggest for under $1500???

I didn't see where it showed the barrel was threaded for a Brake/Flash Hider, but if it is, definitely go that way. You WILL want a muzzle brake on that bad boy!!

Damn good price.

Regards,

Jack

Jim,

Sorry I skimmed over your post..

I want an AR to have an AR.. and I like the 308 THUMP :killer:

Other than that I don't think much.. though the RRA's are touting 1MOA out of the box..

Just tossing ideas at this point..

Anyone else have any/or either of these?? or the DPMS in 308??

Al

I like the RRA, but if you look at the recent models that Armalite is putting out I like it better, they are offering up to a 20" barrel in a 11.25" twist which I have read excellent reviews on and they come in a 416r steel. So if it was me deciding for myself, I would definitely go with the new version of Armalite rifles...

Granted they have other configurations 16" 4149 steel, stainless and other options, but not for $1100. they start at $1600+-... So you must be looking at the older models, in this case I would go with the RRA......

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=10A4BSF&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=f4bd4a13-55d1-41aa-aea0-49488ec48776

Edited by 308saiga

From long range point of view I can say the DPMS with 24 bull barrel runs very good out too 1000yds, I put brake on a stock triggered gun that shoot 3 in at 600yds, hits 8in plate at 1000 regularly, and one of earliest DPMS 308 that is bone stock with jp trigger that does equally well, also JP Upper work with dpms lowers, all depends on what your looking for, also lowers available through brownells that take G3 mags that use dpms uppers.

I have been around AR15's for over 10 years now in the Marine Corps and worked for about 2 years off and on as a Range Safety Officer for a local shooting range here in Eastern NC...all I can say is I have never seen a AR10/.308 run a full mag without some kind of malfunction/ftf or fte. It just isn't a reliable platform IMHO for a semi-auto .308. I would have my eye on a FAL or M1/M1A.

Just my .02 FWIW,

MCASSgt New River

Arik.. the irony is they don't have any in stock..

I think for the money I will just toss a coin between the Bushy ORC and the RRA w/20"

With the $ I save with the Bushmaster I can get a NICE optic.. :super: which I can always SLIDE to the S308 if the AR craps..

MCASSgt...

I have been reading ALOT about alot. on AR15.com and other sites.

most FTF and JAMS are magazine related.. more so with the DPMS mags just SUCKING..

Most running the MagPul PMags for 762x51 are saying 'that fixed the problem'.. :smoke:

Some guys are saying the AR10's are good for 700+ yards EASILY.. some guy said his was doing a 'sheet of paper' at 800 yds..

Here is the Bushy ORC with Troy Ind MRF Rail.. :smoke: BadA$$.. IMHO..

post-8775-0-80744400-1289670296_thumb.jpg

Al

Edited by YWHIC

do not have issues with my DPMS in 308... purchased it used.. cleaned it.. threw a Leupold on it.. sighted it in.. and was getting pretty nice groups.. (which you saw in the other thread..)this rifle still has the factory trigger which I will likely upgrade next.. I am really pleased with the gun.. and at that range with that being my first serious attempt shooting anything other than steel.. I am very pleased....

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=60078

Hello, YWHIC

As far as putting an EoTech (or similar) on one of these .308's, unless your eyes are a hell of a lot better than mine ever have been, I reckon you'll run out of vision a long time before you run out of ballistics.

I would be looking to put some pretty good long-range glass on that baby, I suspect you would never regret it.

Also, I have read accounts of some of the earlier Bushmaster .308's having bolt carrier failures. I don't know if they have been redesigned, or if they still offer them. Just a heads-up to inspect it pretty closely.

There are also a number of manufacturers producing stripped receivers for these .308's now. AIM Surplus has a nice Mega billet set on sale right now, going that route means you don't buy any parts just to toss 'em in a box forever. Plus you get to pick the exact barrel, bolt/carrier, etc. that you want, or are willing to pay for. And you don't have to shell out for everything all at once, either.

JMHO....

-guido