Easiest Way to convert a Saiga .308

Hey guys,

I have decided to buy a S308 16inch, seeing as my local gun store wants $495 for them. I just want to add a pistol grip to her. But I have some questions about it.

How much in parts will it probaly cost me? (pg,stock,and trigger group)

Are there any websites that show the conversion of a saiga .308? (not other models)

What parts should I buy that can make the job easier?

A Tapco G2 (single hook) $29 can be used with some dremel mods.. and a 6mm washer $.49/4-pk (which u may or may not even need)..

Dinzag sell a FCG for the 308 for $XX which is a DROP IN.. The HAMMER is modified for the 308 :super:

PG is $16 for the Tapco SAW from CSS (Carolina Shooters Supply)

Stock is $29 for the Tapco AK Classic Style from CSS.

There are only 2 rivets on the 308 bottom plate.. in the middle however there are 2 small spot welds..

My 308 took me about 1 1/2 hours to do from start to finish (including a lite dusting of black paint on the bottom area)..

(the welds were the PITA)

Albert

Also.. the conversion is the same.. BUT.. there are no rivets to drill out... :super:

So the regular video's will work for you..

There are also some conversion pics in the 308 section.. just dig down abit..

thanks for the info.

Is there a pg hole for all saiga .308's?

People will tell you yes, that all .308s have a PG nut hole. Mine did not, and I have done conversions on others that did not have a PG nut hole.

I think my conversion is about as cheap as they come.

Tapco G-2 single hook ~$28

Tapco retainer plate ~$11

Tapco piston ~$13

Tapco standard grip ~$10

Tapco grip nut/bolt ~$7

K-Var NATO butt stock ~$45

Total: $114 Actually it was a bit cheaper since the vendor I went with gives C&R holders a discount.

Then I threw some other stuff on it like a Tech Sights aperture, PSOP scope, and bipod. The rifle, like other .308s, did not have any extra axis pins, meaning the only drilling was on the bottom of the receiver, including making the PG hole. It was pretty easy, and minor mistakes will get covered by the grip anyway!

EDIT: I forgot to add the gas piston.

Edited by DrThunder88

My S308 did not have a pg nut hole. When I cut the pg nut hole on my first conversion, it was a total B!t@h.

Do yourself a favor and get a DIY trigger guard kit that has a bolt on pg nut or a one piece trigger guard that has a pg nut attached to it. I had a left over pg nut attachment that is available from Cobra's Customs for the S12 which I attached to a reworked stock trigger guard.

EDIT: Here's a link to a pic from Cobra's thread. Its for the S12 but you'll get the idea.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=47666

As for triggers, I wouldn't go cheap and try to modify a Tapco G2 on your own. Get the Dinzag FCG for the .308 Its pre-modded and polished ready to drop into your converted receiver. Some on another forums have whined about it costing too much but consider that you're not only paying for an FCG, you're also paying for a custom trigger job for your .308 Its worth the money.

On top of all that, get the 8-32 drill an tap sets along with the trigger guard screws from Dinzag. It will save you a trip to the hardware store and the bits he sells is quality stuff that works at a very good price.

I just recently converted my S308 and as soon as I'm done getting it accessorized the way I want it, I'll post of pic of it on the forum.

Edited by FrustratedInCali
  • Like 1

Also.. the conversion is the same.. BUT.. there are no rivets to drill out... :super:

So the regular video's will work for you..

There are also some conversion pics in the 308 section.. just dig down abit..

thanks for the info.

Is there a pg hole for all saiga .308's?

If you get the Carolina s.s bolt on trigger guard, it comes with a grip nut. So you don't have to worry about cutting a square in your receiver, but you have to drill 2 new mounting holes.

I found this video to be very helpful for my conversion. Pistol Grip Video

Also, you need something to keep it steady, a gun vise, regular vise or anything to hold it firmly in place, especially while going to war with those spot welds. I used hitch pin clips to hold the trigger pins in place, they were very simple to install.

Edited by longhorn03
  • 3 years later...

I think my conversion is about as cheap as they come.

Tapco G-2 single hook ~$28

Tapco retainer plate ~$11

Tapco piston ~$13

Tapco standard grip ~$10

Tapco grip nut/bolt ~$7

K-Var NATO butt stock ~$45

Total: $114 Actually it was a bit cheaper since the vendor I went with gives C&R holders a discount.

Then I threw some other stuff on it like a Tech Sights aperture, PSOP scope, and bipod. The rifle, like other .308s, did not have any extra axis pins, meaning the only drilling was on the bottom of the receiver, including making the PG hole. It was pretty easy, and minor mistakes will get covered by the grip anyway!

EDIT: I forgot to add the gas piston.

was it hard to modify the trigger?

My S308 did not have a pg nut hole. When I cut the pg nut hole on my first conversion, it was a total B!t@h.

Do yourself a favor and get a DIY trigger guard kit that has a bolt on pg nut or a one piece trigger guard that has a pg nut attached to it. I had a left over pg nut attachment that is available from Cobra's Customs for the S12 which I attached to a reworked stock trigger guard.

EDIT: Here's a link to a pic from Cobra's thread. Its for the S12 but you'll get the idea.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=47666

As for triggers, I wouldn't go cheap and try to modify a Tapco G2 on your own. Get the Dinzag FCG for the .308 Its pre-modded and polished ready to drop into your converted receiver. Some on another forums have whined about it costing too much but consider that you're not only paying for an FCG, you're also paying for a custom trigger job for your .308 Its worth the money.

On top of all that, get the 8-32 drill an tap sets along with the trigger guard screws from Dinzag. It will save you a trip to the hardware store and the bits he sells is quality stuff that works at a very good price.

I just recently converted my S308 and as soon as I'm done getting it accessorized the way I want it, I'll post of pic of it on the forum.

One word, "Dinzag".

+100

1 word - 10 times

Dinzag - Dinzag - Dinzag - Dinzag - Dinzag,

Dinzag - Dinzag - Dinzag - Dinzag - Dinzag!

I have also hear that Dinzag can be a great and affordable help in converting an S-308....

Macbeau...

1 word - 10 times

Dinzag - Dinzag - Dinzag - Dinzag - Dinzag,

Dinzag - Dinzag - Dinzag - Dinzag - Dinzag!

I have also hear that Dinzag can be a great and affordable help in converting an S-308....

Macbeau...

Great help in fact.

Was helping me with a S308 project until things went to hell money wise a few months ago.

Will just pick up where it left off when things are sorted out in a few months and will be doing all my biz with ... wait for it... Dinzag.