polishing bolt with casing tumbler

I'm no expert on polishing a bolt, nor case tumblers.........

But seeing as how there's specific areas on the bolt that get polished, I'm not sure that it tumbling around aimlessly will get the job done. :unsure:

It wouldn't profile it.

ETA;

Toss it in for a day or two & post pics of how it turns out... :)

Edited by Paulyski

I'm no expert on polishing a bolt, nor case tumblers.........

But seeing as how there's specific areas on the bolt that get polished, I'm not sure that it tumbling around aimlessly will get the job done. :unsure:

It wouldn't profile it.

ETA;

Toss it in for a day or two & post pics of how it turns out... :)

FAIL......... One for thinking of doing it and one for encouraging it.

Also, walnut or corncob media as used to tumble brass would take an eternity to do much to high grade steel like a bolt.

You'd need ball bearings or ceramic stones to get anywhere. And as others above mentioned, you'd get no control over what was being polished, or by how much.

Honestly, unless you added some kind of grit, or harder media, I don't think brass polishing media would do anything to the steel bolt but clean it very well. I don't think it would even polish the steel unless you ran it for weeks on end.

I don't think it would be a contamination or gumming problem though, since any reloader is trusting the reliability of his bras's primer pockets and flash holes to the tumbler too.

• Like 1

Honestly, unless you added some kind of grit, or harder media, I don't think brass polishing media would do anything to the steel bolt but clean it very well. I don't think it would even polish the steel unless you ran it for weeks on end.

I don't think it would be a contamination or gumming problem though, since any reloader is trusting the reliability of his bras's primer pockets and flash holes to the tumbler too.

+1.

Besides the fact that it would probably take forever to make a difference in the bolt.......it still wouldn't give the detailed profile that people do to their bolts to increase performance.