Threaded barrel = No chamber step?????

Considering my thread Saiga has no chamber step, I got wondering what characteristics people should look for to avoid buying one with the dreaded "Stepped chamber" Looking for a correlation between chamber step, barrel threading, and trunnion style.

YOU MAY VOTE MORE THAN ONCE IF YOU OWN MULTIPLE SAIGAS, AND MORE THAN ONE ENTRY SHOULD BE MADE IF YOU HAVE NO CHAMBER STEP.

• Like 1

"Barry" dosn't have a chamber step, and came without threads. It was however notched from the factory for original AK handguard retainer. Trunion was round.

You should edit poll to reflect dimples also I believe. Mine does not have dimples.

-So far it looks like Saiga's with factory 14mm L threads have no chamber steps. The other variables are all over the chart, but threaded = no step chamber seems clear.

Well other than Nailbomb's, it does seem pretty consistent. I wouldn't say its a constant though that threaded = no step chamber.

-So far it looks like Saiga's with factory 14mm L threads have no chamber steps. The other variables are all over the chart, but threaded = no step chamber seems clear.

Well other than Nailbomb's, it does seem pretty consistent. I wouldn't say its a constant though that threaded = no step chamber.

According to the poll I'm not alone.

• 5 months later...

I haven't been able to shoot recently and I didn't pay attention to the casings on my last range trip. I wanted to upload this pic to verify that I do have a stepped chamber. Vote pending verification since chamber step equals no factory threads. Thanks for your input.

gallery_27744_668_165908.jpg

Time to end this poll...

last results...

factory threaded 14mm l barrel and has no chamber step (8 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

factory threaded 14mm l barrel and has a chamber step (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

factory non-threaded 14mm l barrel and has no chamber step (7 votes [21.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.88%

factory non-threaded 14mm l barrel and has a chamber step (4 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

If you have no step and have a round trunnion (10 votes [31.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

If you have no step and have a flat trunnion (3 votes [9.38%] - View)