My step son told me that I couldn't draw an AK (pretty much meaning that he wanted me to draw him an AK). I hadn't drawn anything in earnest for about 15 years but gave it a go.

MotherRussia_AK.jpg

It was free-handed so it is dimensionally incorrect. The trigger angle and curve is all wrong, but I tried. The picture by this point had been handled a bit so it's lost some sharpness and tone.

The "For Mother Russia" thing comes from the fact that anytime he plays a game with Russian weapons or sees anything on TV where Russians kick ass he had to say it. Ever since he watched Spetsnaz vs Rangers on Deadliest Warrior he's been a Spetsnaz fanboy <_<

• Like 9

Rick,

I am glad to see you enjoy drawing. Art is its own reward. This being said, your representation of an AKM has several flaws which Id like to point out (because Im a dick). First the receiver is to short. The front trunnion is to large and the bolt looks strange. I am gonna be honest with you, I wouldn't quit your day job to pursue a career as a Kalashnikov artist.

• Like 1

Rick,

I am glad to see you enjoy drawing. Art is its own reward. This being said, your representation of an AKM has several flaws which Id like to point out (because Im a dick). First the receiver is to short. The front trunnion is to large and the bolt looks strange. I am gonna be honest with you, I wouldn't quit your day job to pursue a career as a Kalashnikov artist.

Yessir. That is all true. With the hold of a weapon or dimensions I could've taken measurements and scaled the whole thing down...but it was free handed and is about the best I can do in short time in that respect. For sure, I am an amateur at best. I'm just glad it turned out better than some cheesy cartoon art.

• Like 1

Rick,

Well then, Old Sal boy, since we're being dicks, its "too", not "to". To is used as a directional as opposed to from, where too is used as a synonym for also, extremely and very.wink.gif032.gif

OP:

Fancy pencil work there. Nice job with the wood grain and shading on the mag and, well, all of it. Looks good. Mother Russia would be proud.

• Like 4

Rick,

.......but to be fair, he did say "It was free-handed so it is dimensionally incorrect" in his OP.

Still a bad-ass drawing, IMO. If I were to attempt it, I'm fairly certain it wouldn't even be recognizable as an AK. :lolol:

Looks like the pic on the cover of Kalashnikov's autobiography (co-written by his daughter) that has become available in the English translation. Very good drawing!

Not exactly, the book has a wood pg, vented gas tube, does not have a brake nor a ribbed dust cover, nor dimples...

just bustin yer balls

Looks like the pic on the cover of Kalashnikov's autobiography (co-written by his daughter) that has become available in the English translation. Very good drawing!

Got a link to buy that English translation anywhere?

Can be bought at amazon...I have the one I got for my anniversary sitting right here :D

Edited by beefcakeb0

My step son told me that I couldn't draw an AK (pretty much meaning that he wanted me to draw him an AK). I hadn't drawn anything in earnest for about 15 years but gave it a go.

MotherRussia_AK.jpg

It was free-handed so it is dimensionally incorrect. The trigger angle and curve is all wrong, but I tried. The picture by this point had been handled a bit so it's lost some sharpness and tone.

The "For Mother Russia" thing comes from the fact that anytime he plays a game with Russian weapons or sees anything on TV where Russians kick ass he had to say it. Ever since he watched Spetsnaz vs Rangers on Deadliest Warrior he's been a Spetsnaz fanboy <_<

Did you draw a full auto version? :super:

Ok your drawing makes mine look like total crap, I free handed it and in 20 minutes. Love yours by the way, ( I had to look at yours for the barrel thought I couldn't do that). Bigsal, do your worst.

I wonder what your teacher would have said if they saw you doing that? I am sure I would have to go to the school to discuss it.021.gif

Ok your drawing makes mine look like total crap, I free handed it and in 20 minutes. Love yours by the way, ( I had to look at yours for the barrel thought I couldn't do that). Bigsal, do your worst.

Edited by bigsal

EDITED Thanksnaaaa.gif

That is funny as hell Sal, but sadly I must issue a FAIL. You see that is my boy you are talking to and your comments are not age appropriate.

I hope he doesn't decide to beat your ass, because again as his father I would have to approve. naaaa.gif

Edited by Stansplace

EDITED! Thanks :haha:

That is funny as hell Sal, but sadly I must issue a FAIL. You see that is my boy you are talking to and your comments are not age appropriate.

I hope he doesn't decide to beat your ass, because again as his father I would have to approve. naaaa.gif

Ill edit it, I forgot thats your kid bro! Snap, it was funny though, I am tempted to save it...

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 1

How old is Jay, BTW? You've gotta start somewhere. My wife is the only one in the fam formally educated in art, and alas, her talents are largely wasted, and she definitely has zero interest in drawing firearms.

It does have the FA position.

I used to draw all manner of weaponry and graphic war scenes in school. These days it's be some serious business getting busted doing so.