Saiga .223 or SLR-106fr

Well i did a full conversion on a Saiga .223. grip, fixed stock, AK 74 FSB + Zig zag muzzle brake, retainer and old soviet front hand guard, final price after

everything with tax and shipping on parts + original gun was 650$, still cheaper than the 750$ after ship + BR check & transfer tax the SLR cost me,

real benefit on .223 would be the steel 35 round galil mags that are cheep and i like, and work very well after mods

down side is no AK 100 folder or 1/7, but I've never got anything larger than 62grain in either gun, and 53grain Hornady Vmax is my hunting cartage anyway.

honistly though, the truble was not worth it, id pay the 100 to avoid the hassle, unless you enjoy it.

Edited by Joebanks

If you wanna blast away with cheap ammo and don't care about the extreme edge of 223 terminal ballistics then the Saiga 223 is a better choice but if you are like me and roll your own 77gr cannelured SMKs and want the absolute maximum out of your 223 AK for the "Moment of Truth" then the SLR-106 packs the all important 1 in 7 twist barrel.I even tried to install a 1 in 7 twist barrel in a Saiga but the trunnion was a different diameter from the Bulgarian 1 in 7 barrel I ordered from K-Fart..

For the record the Bulgarian 223 rifles are an oddball while the Saiga 223 is basically and AK74 converted to 223.

Edited by SOPMOD
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

i would get the saiga .223 unless you plan to do a total convert front handguard retain etc

all i changed on mine was the buttstock , triger group, pistol grip, gas piston and front sight base

saiga .223 350$ slr106fr 800$

if i didnt have other .223s i would get a 5.45 SGL31

i have 2 ar15s and didnt want to add another caliber

i have shot 5.45 and it shoots as well as 5.56 plus it feeds better in an AK

saiga .223 350$ slr106fr 800$

Arsenal's latest limited supply of new SLR106s is ~$1,000...

Gotta reconsider the SLR106 at that price point -- at $600 used, I thought it was a worth every penny. New for $700-800 stung, but new is supposed to cost more, right? $1,000 makes it harder for the features to justify the price.

Edited by Koljec
  • 4 weeks later...

Saiga all the way. I could have gone and paid the big bucks but the barrels on the Bulgarian SLR's are made different. The forging method used in Russia is by far superior and the chroming is much more concentric not to mention thicker.

Also its Bulgarian, Saigas are THE RUSSIAN ORIGINAL.

I do believe the Saiga will out last the Arsenal and for me the bottom line is reliability. The Russians designed it, built it and trust their lives to it. So I will do the same.

As far as using heavy bullets beyond 68gr I think its useless. You cannot achieve the equal velocity and performance out of a 16" barrel. Plus the twist rate is too much for a light weight 36gr or 40gr bullet commonly used in defense.

SAIGA BUILT BY RUSSIANS, BUILT TO BE BETTER, BUILT TO LAST AND WHEN YOUR LIFE IS AT STAKE I CHOOSE SAIGA.

Well now that the SLR's are subject to forum markup, they're going to be a hard sell. I've seen some brand new Saiga 223's for 300$ recently, and that's a great deal if you can get one. Thing is, you can convert a Saiga to the same spec as the SLR for probably less money (well okay, the folding stocks a challenge to get in budget but you can at least get a good fixed stock).

The problem is, the SLR's aren't any better, people are just charging more for them. The SLR's weren't godly guns to begin with tho... they have their issues... Saiga's seem to run really well. Mine's running great ever since I put a BG in it. Right now it's got a Mako folder and a Izzy PG (shit ton of 922R stuff I had to swap out tho :/), but it's one of the most ergonomic AK's I've ever shot. My one qualm is I can't get a cleaning rod on it... I think AK's minus the cleaning rod look retarded. Not a big deal tho, I'm putting a Rhineland mahogany foregrip on it and then I'll thread the barrel and it'll look pretty slick. Hoping my Arsenal Bulgy trunnion insert side folder order comes thru with Midway, it'll be a sweet little gun.

Thing is, you can convert a Saiga to the same spec as the SLR for probably less money (well okay, the folding stocks a challenge to get in budget but you can at least get a good fixed stock)...SLR's aren't any better, people are just charging more for them

Better is relative to a lot of things. Gunsmith-retarded buyers like me get a lot more out-of-the-box with the Arsenal, and that's why it does and should cost more.

Even if you get beyond the bells-and-whistles folding stock, the SLR's barrel is (or at least was) a 1/7 twist Steyr. Whether that really matters or not, it's a higher-quality critical component that even the converted Saiga will still lack (I guess you could always upgrade the barrel, but that's $$$, and, in that case, you should have bought the Arsenal to begin with).

From personal experience, whether they are Russian Saigas or Bulgarian, I've found Arsenal/KVar supplied rifles to be straighter shooters than out-of-the-box Saigas. Ever get a new Saiga with a canted front sight? That pissed me off.

Btw, Rhineland makes some nice stuff. Post a pic of your completed gun please.

Edited by Koljec

I have about $600 into my Saiga .223. Mine was partially converted by PRK, (trigger moved forward, trigger guard rivited, old pin holes welded, refinished). I added the Dinzag bullet guide, removed sheath and threaded the barrel, added phanton, and added the Surefire M83 handguards, converted to Galil mags.

The gun is damn accurate and has a thicker barrel than any Bulgarian or Romanian you will find in 7.62, 5.45, or .223.

If you simple did not care about the platform and wanted a great gun to shoot the hell out of, the Saiga is the one. The SLR106fr is a SLR106fr and to some, like me, that matters. I love them all. I have a SAIGA .223, a SAM5, and a 106fr on the way. I am an AKholic.

599990585_photobucket_62432_.jpg?t=1316191949

Edited by gun papa
  • 1 month later...

Older topic but still valid and interesting. I considered both and bought the Saiga for a few reasons. First and foremost I would never run an American spec 5.56 sound suppressor on any of the combloc threads as they are almost never concentric to the bore. I guess if you used a 7.62 suppressor it'd be okay.

The other reason for me is that I wanted a Russian rifle and I enjoy projects. My conversion will sport the following USA parts:

USA trigger

USA hammer

USA disconnector

USA pistol grip

I love the feel of the factory handguard and it will be staying, or maybe switched out for a Rhineland Arms wood handguard. I will use a Romanian type wire folding stock that will mount to the factory trunion and use an RS Aimpoint mount. The stock will be able to fold with the aimpoint mount attached, unlike the AK100 style stock that either requires an Ultimak rail to mount an Aimpoint and still fold or you take the mount off the side rail.

When I get the barrel threaded I will be using standard 1/2x28 threads so I can put a quick attach suppressor mount on it.

All told minus threading I'll have about $500 flat into the conversion. The stock was free, I've had it laying around for a few years.

The SLR-106 is a beautiful rifle and would serve well as well, but functionally it doesn't really offer any tangible benefit for someone willing to do the conversion work themselves.

• 8 months later...

Another vote for the SLR106

im running tula 62g right now but will be getting the 75g here soon. Only problem Ive found so far is that I have had rear turnnion carrier strikes firing the 62g I guess under rapid fire. I was just giving it a good couple quick trigger pulls and when I went to clean after I noticed it was alil difficult to remove the recoil spring and when I looked to see what the deal was, I saw a dent in the rear trunnion or whatever that was causing the spring to hang up. Ive since, cut a buffer in half and put it in there. Seems to be fine so far. sorry to side track.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been debating between the two as well, after reading this thread...the SLR sounds fantastic but I can't find any near me or on GunsAmerica.com sad.png.

My Saiga conversion plans will probably run the same, or a bit lower; I'm going to get the Intrafuse buttstock/grip and handguard, and a 30rd SureFire mag, and possibly change out the sights. Saiga+Intrafuse+Mag = about $630, add sights change and it's $670-715.

In the end, I guess it boils down to: Is there a huge quality difference between a converted Saiga and an SLR?

• 4 weeks later...

As has been mentioned... the Arsenal SLR is NOT Russian. The SLR is Romanian or Bulgarian (thus the R), The SGL is Russian (thus the L, for Legion). They are both fantastic rifle and would be hard to match, $ wise, if doing the same type of conversion (full). However, if you're ok with just a rear "restoration" (front trunion back), then the Saiga is the more economical.

Many people think that Arsenal's are just "restored" Saiga's. They are NOT. Arsenal has their OWN deal with Saiga where they get reciever that were never "sporterized" in the first place. Thus they don't have the added "sporter" trigger slot, "sporter" trigger pin holes, etc. They are NOT converted in any way shape or form. They are a true Russian receiver (virgin) that is assembled with some US parts to meet 922r compliance.

You can convert (restore) a Saiga (cheaper for Trunion back, more expensive for entire resoration), but it will have A) sporter trigger slot, sporter trigger pin holes, C) holes for the "sporter plate", D) non mated trigger guard/mag catch (conversions will have seperately bolted on trigger guard), E) left over BHO slot.. All of this leaves you with a reciever with LOT'S of holes. It may LOOK similar to an Arsenal... but it is FAR from it.

Arsenal's are the real deal. Converted/restored Saiga's are close (but NOT the same). Think of Saiga's as the "poor man's Arsenal", they look similar, and have most of the same quality parts, but the details (HOLES, HOLES, HOLES) are what make the difference.

Edited by Brian M1

As has been mentioned... the Arsenal SLR is NOT Russian. The SLR is Romanian or Bulgarian (thus the R), The SGL is Russian (thus the L, for Legion). They are both fantastic rifle and would be hard to match, $ wise, if doing the same type of conversion (full). However, if you're ok with just a rear "restoration" (front trunion back), then the Saiga is the more economical.

Many people think that Arsenal's are just "restored" Saiga's. They are NOT. Arsenal has their OWN deal with Saiga where they get reciever that were never "sporterized" in the first place. Thus they don't have the added "sporter" trigger slot, "sporter" trigger pin holes, etc. They are NOT converted in any way shape or form. They are a true Russian receiver (virgin) that is assembled with some US parts to meet 922r compliance.

You can convert (restore) a Saiga (cheaper for Trunion back, more expensive for entire resoration), but it will have A) sporter trigger slot, sporter trigger pin holes, C) holes for the "sporter plate", D) non mated trigger guard/mag catch (conversions will have seperately bolted on trigger guard), E) left over BHO slot.. All of this leaves you with a reciever with LOT'S of holes. It may LOOK similar to an Arsenal... but it is FAR from it.

Arsenal's are the real deal. Converted/restored Saiga's are close (but NOT the same). Think of Saiga's as the "poor man's Arsenal", they look similar, and have most of the same quality parts, but the details (HOLES, HOLES, HOLES) are what make the difference.

Just curious where your getting this information. It would seem that Arsenal would be subject to the same importation restrictions as all other US manufactures. It was my understanding they Arsenal Las Vegas was purchasing sporterized Saigas and then doing the deed. Interesting post!

Just curious where your getting this information. It would seem that Arsenal would be subject to the same importation restrictions as all other US manufactures. It was my understanding they Arsenal Las Vegas was purchasing sporterized Saigas and then doing the deed. Interesting post!

According to the official vendor's website, it is classified as an "import." I do vaguely recall some process being done in Las Vegas - either the conversion, or simply the sales. I'm a little hazy as to the specifics.