How strong does a Scope/Laser/Red-Dot Have to Be?

There have been a bunch of threads dealing with various Optic Sights and their reliability to withstand the vigors of life in a "Heavy Recoil Zone". Prices range from Free to well over the One-Thousand Dollar purchase tag.

Looks like the powers of site-leadership are setting up an area for the discussion of these little lights and sights.

Thank You !

I have just one entry for this discussion... An inexpensive 4-choice dot configuration that can be viewed in red or green. Cost for the optic was under $30. The side-mount (quick-release) from CSS was $34, so I total out at under $65.

I have never used one of these lite-prism devices before, so this is all new to me...but it appears to be easy to discern how to make the shot/slug go where the lite says it should.

Now to 'Zero' the sight with the slug, and see if it will hold it's 'zero' while getting slammed with shock waves of many rounds being fired....and it's removal using the quick release, then being remounted for another round or twenty. That test is underway this week

Here's my Saiga with a couple of photos for clarifcation.

11102.jpg

Here is a better look at the UTG 978 quick-release side mount designed for the Saiga. A bit clunky and 'overly strong' (by feel) but it does do the job. It seems to hold it's position well when 'latched'.

11103.jpg

Sorry for the poor depth of field/focus on this one. I hoped to get the red-circle, the surrounding area, and the sight-frame all in focus. But that did not seem to want to happen. But here is what I see when looking tward the front-end of the Saiga.

11104.jpg

Edited by Mayor Al

That looks like a truglo or Barska, although these look cool, I do not believe that they will hold zero for long... I have a Eagle Eye Optics version that I love... I took it out the first time and worked flawlessly, the next time the glass came loose and I had to re-glue it back on.... It did hold zero....

Let us know the brand, and how it holds up.....

Edited by 308saiga

Mike, Nice to see a friend on this forum..not that the guys here haven't been friendly, but carry-over friendships from other sites makes one feel like they aren't alone in the new neighborhood !

RE The brand of the red-dot? It came from UTG (via Ebay) in a generic wrapper like their side-mount did. (only I got the side-mount from CSS). NO Brand indicator on the metal anywhere. I went back to the ebay description and it is totally clear also. Came from L A, but who knows where the real origin is/was. Since it was a real cheapie, I don't expect to have my grandson inherit it ! So far I have run 2 boxes of Federal 7.5 shot light-weights thru the Saiga with the dot mounted. I did clear a Cleveland Pear in my front yard of it's last few leaves, and about a dozen cowbirds that were mooching my feeder-food. I did run one 10 round mag of Slugs to check the general accuracy (not zeroing yet') and it didn't fall apart or lose focus.

BTW In case you missed it, I am really happy to see this new OPTICs Forum. I have a lot to learn about the subject, especially related to the Saiga, and it has been hard to find the data as it is spread all over the other forums. Hope others will use this new 'window' to put info together !

Edited by Mayor Al
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad to see this new section...I too am looking for more info on this topic. I have the UTG side mount for my S12 and would like to add some type of "red dot" optic for quick acquisition at the range and if SHTF. I would like to stay around $100 plus or minus $20...

I like these (http://www.ncstar.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=412) or (http://www.tacticalgearsolutions.com/images/SpecialOps1.jpg) from NC Star..what do you guys think? Anyone have experience with these devices?

Glad to see this new section...I too am looking for more info on this topic. I have the UTG side mount for my S12 and would like to add some type of "red dot" optic for quick acquisition at the range and if SHTF. I would like to stay around $100 plus or minus $20...

If the purpose is for SHTF (among other things), don't bother with any optic that probably won't even hold up through a single carbine course, much less worse conditions. That includes pretty much anything you could get for $100 or so. Better to stick with irons only than to add a crappy optic, in my view. Save up, and look for a deal on something good.

Edited by Jim Digriz

If the purpose is for SHTF (among other things), don't bother with any optic that probably won't even hold up through a single carbine course, much less worse conditions. That includes pretty much anything you could get for $100 or so. Better to stick with irons only than to add a crappy optic, in my view. Save up, and look for a deal on something good.

Good point..ok, so what is a good iron sight setup that doesn't require welding???

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up an aimsport site that looks quite similiar to the one mounted on your very sweet looking s-12. I mounted mine on a forearm quad I got from mississippi arms. I pre sited it in the house on the kitchen table, with the gun in my (rifle holder upper) I used the open sites to zero in on one of my wifes ceramic chickens, then I adjusted the red dot to line up with that, I checked all 4 options dot, cross hair etc. and all were lined up. Aimsport is located in so. cal. so maybe thats what you have? But I can't imagine there not being some name on the site. Anyway I'll be taking my saiga 7.62 out new years weekend to see what it does on paper and will post results.

One thing I do really like about the site is the constant site picture with both eye's open, fast shots would be a breeze. I wouldn't worry to much about it being a cheap site considering its mounted on a cheap gun. I paid $350 for mine so that only proves you can still get a reliable product for a very reasonable price. I've never spent more then $100 for any optics and have never had any problems. So thats my 0.02 worth good luck and have fun!!!