So I managed to screw up both my bullet guide and barrel threading&#33

I am all thumbs when it comes to gunsmithing, but since everyone was saying how easy it is to install the bullet guide and thread the factory barrel on my x39, I'd figure I'd give it a shot. Plus the only shop that works on saigas around here have an 8 week waiting period (not to mention they wanted a few hundred just to convert the front end to accept AK furniture :rolleyes:

Anyways I started with the bullet guide. Punched a hole for the drill bit, but it must've wandered out because by the time I had broke through the trunnion, I noticed that it was way off (to the right, towards the barrel). I said screw it and decided to tap it anyways and enlarge the hole on the bullet guide. In the middle of tapping, the tap broke off inside the hole. At this point I decided to drill a new hole closer to the magazine, and then file away at the guide until it is flush on the trunnion. Well the cobalt bit was probably dulled out because it wasn't making a dent. I decided to try one of my other drill bits and of course that managed to snap off inside the trunnion as well. So now I'm completely out of spots to drill. Am I destined for JB Weld? Or is there something stronger I can use? Devcon epoxy perhaps?

n5hbt0.jpg

On to my next failure...I wanted to cut the barrel shroud in front of the front sight off so that I could thread the barrel. Used a pipe cutter, and was able to cut it without much incident. Then I noticed that the shroud would not come off, it was just spinning in place. Took a dremel to it, and ended up cutting a huge chunk of it off before I was able to pry it off. That's when I noticed my barrel was threaded! Unfortunately the threads appeared to be serverely gunked up from some sort of adhesive from the factory. Not to mention I had put some accidental cuts across the threads from poor dremel skills. I'm also afraid that I may cut the actual barrel with the pipecutter. Although it's kind of hard to see. The barrel shroud cut goes well beyond the threads, although I did stop as soon as the shroud was free spinning. Is the barrel notched before the threads start? Or am I fubared?

jv0vbt.jpg

2lbz5s5.jpg

30iuk5z.jpg

10rkbw3.jpg

So what do you guys think? Well with bullet guide, it looks like i have no choice but to epoxy it on, but what about the barrel? Can the threads be cleaned up if I used a threading die? Will the accidental dremel cuts effect the mounting of a muzzle brake? Did I put the notch in the barrel or did I just happen to cut exactly at the point of a factory notch? Am I better off just lopping the whole damn front off, get it professionally threaded and pin and weld a long muzzle brake on to get it back to 16"?

You could weld the bullet guide in, if you know anyone with a welder. I would try and clean up the threads with a threading die and see if that works, or you could always dremel the front sight block off and put a 24x1.5mm Bulgarian front sight block on the rifle if all else fails. The new FSB would cover the old chopped up threads. A complete Bulgarian FSB costs around $50.00 and can be installed using a rubber mallet and sledge hammer.

I went with a Bulgarian FSB and it was pretty easy. If you decide to do it, there are a couple of tutorials on it. You pretty much just have to dremel down the sides of your factory FSB along the dimples on each side, pull it off, pound the new FSB in place and line it up with a piece of string or just eyeball it, give it a couple wacks to the side if it's not aligned with the rear sight, pound new pins (or nails) into it.

My main concern is that I may have chopped into the barrel with the pipecutter. How far in can I get away with where it may be a problem? I know with AR15 barrels, you can reprofile them down about a 1/10th of an inch, but I know nothing about aks. I apologize for the bad pics, I will try to get better ones.

Edited by gundam83

For the glue, have you tried to scrub it off? Acetone works wonders with the aid of the rough side of a sponge.

For the pipe cutter, how far do you think you cut into the barrel? I can't really make out any indentation in your pics, but that could be due to my shitty 10 year+ monitor.

For the glue, have you tried to scrub it off? Acetone works wonders with the aid of the rough side of a sponge.

For the pipe cutter, how far do you think you cut into the barrel? I can't really make out any indentation in your pics, but that could be due to my shitty 10 year+ monitor.

It's not your monitor, the pictures suck. I snapped real quick before heading off to work. I will get some better pics tonight. I haven't tried any solvents on the threads yet, but plan to. The residue was rock hard which worried me, but I think if i let it soak for a little bit it'll be easier to work with.

Edited by gundam83

Have a professional weld the bullet guide... No more Bubba gunsmithing for you.

Notch around barrel looks to be no big deal, dremel gouges in threads may be a problem

Mineral spirits or such, a lil TLC with a wire brush and then chase threads with appropriate die... No more Bubba gunsmithing for you.

If the threads are botched beyond repair, pay a gunsmith to remove FSB, install AK74 type and then mount whichever comp floats your boat... No more Bubba gunsmithing for you.

No really, don't hack on your poor firearm anymore. If ya don't have the knack for DIY, then your just going to cost your self more time & $$$$.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 5

Well, kudos to you for trying to basement smith it OP. If it makes you feel any better, you are definitely not the first to have snapped a tap off in the trunnion, had a wandering bit, or cut into your barrel. It's all fixable, and hopefully you learned something--like what *not* to do! Everybody starts somewhere.

Great advice above, and definitely pay a professional to weld in the guide...

• Like 1

Update on my disaster. Acetone helped remove some of the gunk but it was still pretty caked on. My roomate had a thread cleaning tool and after a few wacks with that, it cleaned up pretty well. I then took a crush washer that I bought from a local auto store and saw that even though it was supposed to be 14mm, it did not fit freely over the threads like crush washers I'm used to (AR15's) . So I threaded it on and that helped clear out a lot of the gunk. I was finally able to thread the muzzle device on, and while it was a tight fit, it went on without a hitch.

Now I just need to take care of the bulletguide. My uncle can weld, but before I take my gun to him, is there anything I can use to fill in the two holes that would still allow me to weld the bullet guide in place?

Have you tried to shatter the broke tap with a small punch. Sometimes a few hits will shatter the tap since it's super hardened but also brittle to impact. Chase the threads with a new tap and try to screw the bullet guide down. Welding would be plan b. But glues or epoxies I would not trust.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I had the same issue with the tap snapping off. By the time we got it out, the hole was large and irregular. Neighbor who is a welder was afraid to weld it because he didn't think he could get his mig welder in the hole and do a good job. We wound up using a pop rivet to put it in. So far, it has held admirably for a few hundred rounds. We check it every so often to make sure it's still firmly in place and it is doing well. If the rivet ever fails, the plan is to drill all the way through the receiver and use a longer screw and nut with some loctite. Won't be pretty, but as I don't plan to sell the gun, I'm not worried about hurting the resale value.

If you can weld the guide in place well, go for it, but the others are options.

• 2 weeks later...

Man , stay away from your tools ... The bullet guide needs to be firmly in place. I would take it to a qualified gunsmith and have him install it. After that, (am sorry to say it) concentrate only on shooting the thing, not in trying to fix it.

Edited by josey88
  • 1 year later...

same thing happened to me with the pipe cutter cuttin into the barrle..i cut about 1/32 of an inch into it..also noticed a ring like line on the inside of the barrel and dont know if it has been like that from the factory or some result from the pipe cutter..ran a tooth pick over it and cant feel n e burs or anything...shot today and had no problems..just hope it doesnt turn into one over time.

Stop worryinf about nicking the barrel. On a typical AK, the FSB/GB pin cuts are larger than any nick you could have made, not to mention the large cut for the LHG retainer.

I agree with others. Have a good welder tack in the bullet guide, or drill through any mistake you made and secure it with a steel pop rivet. They are very tough and underutilized for this sort of job.

• Like 1