Is it okay to shoot steel shot from an S-12?

I have been reading about the use of steel shot, as opposed to softer lead shot. It appears that using steel shot in older shotguns, particularly over and unders and side by sides, can damage their thinner and softer steel barrels.

Does anyone shoot steel shot in their Saiga? Do you think it will harm the barrel? I have no idea if the S-12's barrel would be considered significantly thicker, stronger, or more durable, than those found in twenty or thirty+ year old shotguns or guns with two barrels.

Thanks,

WJ

I've shot a few hundred rounds of steel through mine. No problem. You want to watch that you don't choke it down too far, though. Dad always said that if you could slip a dime into the muzzle then you're gtg.

Yeah dude, steel is not as malleable (malleable = soft/ bendy) as lead shot. Lead shot will conform to exit a shotgun barrel, steel shot not so much. There for if you push to much steel shot on a heavily choked barrel you can do damage to your gun. Matter of fact @ work we use steel shot to surface harden M-16 bolts for our rifles. The steel shot is hard enough to hammer the surface of the bolts harder. The bolts are steel too. It's true that most shot is loaded in a small plastic cups/wads, but would you trust that small plastic cup/wad to protect your barrel all the way out under pressure?

I hope so because i have about 800-1000rds of steel shot thru mine (WIN super x bulk 1320fps rated).

Its in a plastic shot cup, there isnt any direct contact with the barrel. It shouldnt hurt anything i would think.

Edited by Mullet Man

I've shot a few hundred rounds of steel through mine. No problem. You want to watch that you don't choke it down too far, though. Dad always said that if you could slip a dime into the muzzle then you're gtg.

Yeah dude, steel is not as malleable (malleable = soft/ bendy) as lead shot. Lead shot will conform to exit a shotgun barrel, steel shot not so much. There for if you push to much steel shot on a heavily choked barrel you can do damage to your gun. Matter of fact @ work we use steel shot to surface harden M-16 bolts for our rifles. The steel shot is hard enough to hammer the surface of the bolts harder. The bolts are steel too. It's true that most shot is loaded in a small plastic cups/wads, but would you trust that small plastic cup/wad to protect your barrel all the way out under pressure?

Are you for real with this?