proper way of cleaning barrel

So i have been carefully cleaning my Saiga barrel from muzzle to the bore all this time.

But i have seen people do it from the bore to the muzzle...i think most people do it that way.

I know that you always want to clean a barrel from bore to muzzle whenever possible but the cleaning rod does not fit completely inline with the barrel, so my thinking was that careful cleaning from the muzzle to the bore was better. I mean, wouldn't you slowly wear the 6 oclock of the barrel by cleaning it from the bore to the muzzle since thats where most of the pressure is?

Im i wrong in thinking this way? should i start cleaning from the bore to the muzzle from now on?

So i have been carefully cleaning my Saiga barrel from muzzle to the bore all this time.

But i have seen people do it from the bore to the muzzle...i think most people do it that way.

I know that you always want to clean a barrel from bore to muzzle whenever possible but the cleaning rod does not fit completely inline with the barrel, so my thinking was that careful cleaning from the muzzle to the bore was better. I mean, wouldn't you slowly wear the 6 oclock of the barrel by cleaning it from the bore to the muzzle since thats where most of the pressure is?

Im i wrong in thinking this way? should i start cleaning from the bore to the muzzle from now on?

You could always use a bore-snake. I honestly couldn't tell you anything about muzzle-bore cleaning long term effects though.

Edited by Salmonking

You could always use a bore-snake. I honestly couldn't tell you anything about muzzle-bore cleaning long term effects though.

+1 for the Boresnake. Greatest invention known to man.

Chamber to muzzle? Muzzle to chamber?

To me it just really doesn't matter with the S12, there isn't any crown/rifling to mess up & there isn't a complex FCG/loading mechanism catching excess dirty solvents.

Rifles should IMHO, be cleaned chamber to muzzle if possible, if not possible , definitely use a muzzle guide.

Heck, I even use a chamber/bore guide on my AR.

Edited by ChileRelleno

Im soon getting a muzzle guide...should have done so sooner.

I dont think cleaning from the muzzle to the chamber will affect the AK barrel in any shape or form. I clean my M1A from muzzle to chamber (cant do it any other way lol) and that weapon system (not mines in particular, although it is accurate for a m1a with no mods at all) is one of the most accurate semi auto .308 rifles in existence. So if the only way to clean an m14/m1a is from the muzzle to the chamber....whats the difference between a non chromed line m1a/m14 barrel to a chromed lined AK barrel? I would think the chrome lined barrel was more durable.

But i still think that since a regular cleaning rod will not fit the AK straight in line with the barrel...you are doing more harm than good. I would think that the whole entirety of the 6 o'clock of the barrel will have uneven rifling as time goes on if cleaning from chamber to muzzle. So as to avoid this, like suggested, the use of the boresnake or otis cleaning kit will avoid this problem entirely.

So besides the point that cleaning from muzzle to chamber will do damage to the crown, something that can be completely avoided with a muzzle guide, what are other cons on cleaning the AK barrel like this?

I do have a boresnake i dont use often....because i believe that you have to keep it very clean (and i am extremely lazy)...otherwise the crap that it accumulates inside the nylon will scratch the barrel. Plus i just dont like the idea that each time i pass the boresnake through a barrel, im also passing the built in brush through it. The brush fits in really tightly and i think it just causes unnecessary wear over time. The brush from the AK kit is extremely soft and i only pass that once...the rest with a couple of patches.

Just wanting to hear members opinions on the subject and hope more members chime in here with their opinions. I am no expert on the subject, just trying to compare my "common sense" and "knowledge" on the subject with other more experienced people. Then i can hopefully come out either reinforcing what i already think, or changing the way i think.

Thanks for the responses so far.

i had the same question for years and yes i believe you should clean from chamber out but as you pointed out the receiver gets in the way. I use the bore snake for quick down and dirty cleaning sort of field cleaning only a little more in depth as i do try to get as much out as possible and clean the rest of the weapon well. Oh yeah your are suppose to wash the bore snake to remove debris. When i want to do a really through barrel cleaning I use a cleaning rod going from crown to chamber.

here is a decent link that i ran across---these guys are interesting and provide a good bit of information on the AK. Read the bio's on these guys. the guy in the glasses is Jim fuller from Rifle Dynamics.

http://firearms.atactv.com/ then click on "all categories" then "comprehensive bench cleaning" then AK part 1 and two. I know they are hyping the product but still informative. the other sections "armorers program for AK" then the AK specific tab go detail take down info.

oh yeah check out the section on the 40,000 round krink. After watching that i am going to purchase some of that product to give it a whirl.

Edited by leadslinger

Awesome videos and very educational! Though the camera man SUCKS bigtime...and it does piss me off that they keep on advertising the hell out of their cleaning products....gotta buy me some bore tech lol.

thanks leadslinger for the link. This reinforced my stand on cleaning from muzzle to chamber in AK style rifles. Plus i came out with added knowledge on how to clean my firearms even better! I tried searching on youtube how people cleaned their AK's...and NOT ONE of them cleaned it from the muzzle to chamber....this has made me think twice about following those so called "educational" videos on youtube.

The link has so far been THE most educational video i have seen for cleaning a rifle.

Will be getting a muzzle guide soon from midway and still have to get a bore guide to clean my Mosins.