Just bought my first Saiga-12

After deliberating the purchase for over a year, I finally went to the on-base gunstore and asked them to special-order me a Saiga. It should be here Tuesday or Wednesday this next week, just in time for me to bring it with me on Thanksgiving vacation.

When I get back, I'm planning on using the conversion kit from Carolina Shooter's Supply to replace the FCG and use a standard PG and stock. I'm also considering doing the magwell mod and an extended mag catch... and the twister puck... and some better sights...

For now I need to keep it simple and break it in. Looks like there's no clear 'best' hi capacity magazine, so will just have to cross my fingers.

After deliberating the purchase for over a year, I finally went to the on-base gunstore and asked them to special-order me a Saiga. It should be here Tuesday or Wednesday this next week, just in time for me to bring it with me on Thanksgiving vacation.

When I get back, I'm planning on using the conversion kit from Carolina Shooter's Supply to replace the FCG and use a standard PG and stock. I'm also considering doing the magwell mod and an extended mag catch... and the twister puck... and some better sights...

For now I need to keep it simple and break it in. Looks like there's no clear 'best' hi capacity magazine, so will just have to cross my fingers.

There is an undisputed best hi-cap mag - the original IzhMash 8 rounder... Unfortunately, you will get raped on the price, if you want one (or several) of these. I've been using AGP mags myself. They have been reliable.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

Don't be surprised when you run a bunch of expensive high power ammo through it and it still won't cycle low power loads. If 'break in' was all it takes.... there would be no Saigasmiths. There is no substitute for good old fashioned metalworking and gunsmithing. If you are good with your hands, you may be able to do it yourself as many here have, including myself. Do lots of research before you make a move. Also, the Twister pucks are for high powered loads. They do not help the weapon run light loads better. Stick with the factory puck unless you want to run magnums. The aftermarket plugs only offer more adjustability to the gas system. They do not 'fix' anything. If the weapon FTEs, it most likely needs friction reduction and gas port work. Welcome aboard.

The best mag for the money is the MD-20. At $80 during the current sale, it is impossible to beat. MD's Molot grip is the best that I have ever used. I think they are $6 right now.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Evlblkwpns,

The twisterpuc is not just for magnum loads. I have run a stnd twister in all my conversions. I can shoot all bulk ammo, Winchester included, reliably, everytime. And my gun is not overgassed. It is a three holer at .093". Now the medium and magnum twisters are like you said, magnum high power loads only. And I believe they help keep the gas block clean. When I clean my gun, all that's required is to pull the puck and pop the debris out of the helical grooves with a toothpick and that's it. Takes about a minute and I'm good for another several hundred rounds. Not really sure how long I can go, the most I've went without cleaning was 300 rnds and no signs of the gas block fouling impeding function

It may not be just for magnum loads but i wouldnt recommend it for a new comer until they determine how their gun cycles b/c even the standard twister bleeds gas and most deffiantly doesnt help cycling. Also apparently there have been a few that mushroomed from hitting the oprod. My twister puck rusted and and ive been waiting since oct. 16 on a replacement set! ETac will not respond to pms or emails! (i guess i aint gettin a replacement) I say stay away from Etac altogether, if you have an issue you may not get any help. Stick with the factory puck or a Kings armory puck, the design etac copied. It actually does seems to cycle abit stronger. I have done some side by side comparing and have been less than impressed with the twister puck. I was waiting on the replacementset to test the medium and magnum befor writing a short review but im still waiting!

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

With the Saiga fresh out of the box, it's first 50 rounds were Federal 'High Brass" and Estate "Heavy Game Load". Gun ran just fine, maybe a single stovepipe on the first mag.

After that, tried about 10 Winchester "Universal" birdshot. Very high FTE rate. Tried some basic Federal birdshot and the shotgun ran just fine on setting #2, just a couple FTE.

Took her home, cleaned with M-Pro 7, and oiled with M-Pro LPX. Went out shooting again. Zero FTE over 100 rounds of the cheap Federal birdshot. Success!

Lesson: LPX is great. Factory gun oils, not so much.

I also bought 50rds of Estate 00 Buckshot to play with and keep for HD.

...Looks like there's no clear 'best' hi capacity magazine, so will just have to cross my fingers.

Wrong. The best stick mag >5 rnds is the Izhmash 8-rnder:

mk31n.jpg

And the most reliable and tough mag >8 rnds is the MD-20:

mk36.jpg

I'd carefully consider that magwell if I were you, (not a fan myself). ;)

Factory mags and MD-20's are the only S-12 mags I own anymore. I sold my US mags, (Surefire and AGP), to buy more Izzy 8's. :smoke:

I look forward to Mike's double-stack mags.

Edited by post-apocalyptic