Gas Plug and Gas Piston.. Is it worth to buy one?

Hi guys, has anyone ever use this gas plug? I just wondering how it is compare to factory and other manual gas plug. Is it worth to buy one?

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-642/TAC47-AUTO-PLUG-SAIGA/Detail

Also about this gas piston. I just wonder how it improves the performance of saiga 12. Should I get one too?

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-702/Saiga-12-King-Armory/Detail

Cheers. :)

Edited by sadion

Hi guys, has anyone ever use this gas plug? I just wondering how it is compare to factory and other manual gas plug. Is it worth to buy one?

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-642/TAC47-AUTO-PLUG-SAIGA/Detail

Also about this gas piston. I just wonder how it improves the performance of saiga 12. Should I get one too?

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-702/Saiga-12-King-Armory/Detail

Someone did a pretty extensive review of the autoplug. The result was a decent gas plug for higher powered stuff, but it's a bit of a reliability sacrifice, for versatility. Do a forum search of it to read the review for yourself.

A new gas puck is a good idea. I think using the twister puck my E-Tac keeps your gas system a bit cleaner. Overall, I don't think they notably impact performance. They also add a compliant part.

Someone did a pretty extensive review of the autoplug. The result was a decent gas plug for higher powered stuff, but it's a bit of a reliability sacrifice, for versatility. Do a forum search of it to read the review for yourself.

A new gas puck is a good idea. I think using the twister puck my E-Tac keeps your gas system a bit cleaner. Overall, I don't think they notably impact performance. They also add a compliant part.

Same person that did the pretty extensive review of the autoplug, and said it lost reliability, needed to adjust his autoplug and now it works perfect to quote Bridis

"I don't have the Video yet to show it, but Auto Plug testing went really well today. I adjusted the tension screw as recommended by TAC 47 and was able to cycle everything really well. Even better than the Gunfixer. I was able to consistently cycle the Winchester Universal with the Auto Plug, which always gave me problems with the Gunfixer. However, there is still a big "but" here. BUT I didn't do any testing with high brass. My fear is that I may have had to adjust the tension screw to the point where high brass rounds will do more than normal damage to my gun. Though previous testing does show the Auto Plug does less damage with high brass. Either way I'm happy that it works."

I wish Bridis would take down the videos that he did with out adjusting the plug, its a common miss conception that His extensive testing was Negative.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=58349&st=120

Same person that did the pretty extensive review of the autoplug, and said it lost reliability, needed to adjust his autoplug and now it works perfect to quote Bridis

"I don't have the Video yet to show it, but Auto Plug testing went really well today. I adjusted the tension screw as recommended by TAC 47 and was able to cycle everything really well. Even better than the Gunfixer. I was able to consistently cycle the Winchester Universal with the Auto Plug, which always gave me problems with the Gunfixer. However, there is still a big "but" here. BUT I didn't do any testing with high brass. My fear is that I may have had to adjust the tension screw to the point where high brass rounds will do more than normal damage to my gun. Though previous testing does show the Auto Plug does less damage with high brass. Either way I'm happy that it works."

I wish Bridis would take down the videos that he did with out adjusting the plug, its a common miss conception that His extensive testing was Negative.

http://forum.saiga-1...ic=58349&st=120

Did you have the auto plug installed in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z66AdC6UhXs&feature=player_embedded

Edited by Stansplace

We use the autoplug on all of our guns.

Were you using different guns in the video or were you using many different types of ammo such as some video shot with high power loads and other video shot with low power loads?

The reason I ask is because the gun appears to have wildly varying cyclic rates at different times of the video.

Why does this appear to be the case, or does the autoplug vary that much?

The Auto-plug is a pop-off valve set to your guns operating pressure. If your gun is capable of running cheap low brass with ANY plug, it will work with the Auto-plug.

Some people were confused as to setting that minimum required pressure, and have caused some further confusion as to the Autoplug's reliability. Think of it as a pressure relief valve that fully gasses your weapon, but bleeds off EXCESS gas from high power ammo. You set your gun's base pressure needs and forget it. It prevents damage to your receiver from high powered loads, and can control an over-gassed gun.

I only wish I had been able to get one when he offered the $25 beta-test versions. After Christmas it will be on my gun.

Set it right and you will not have a problem.

Heath

I tried 2 different standard twister pucks in my low gassed gun and both were extremely unreliable with federal bulk birdshot. The gun would stovepipe 80% of the time if not worse. I popped the twister puck out and put a KA puck in and the gun runs 100% with federal bulk. All other things being equal.

I then popped the KA puck out and compared it to the factory puck and the gun cycled better with the KA puck.

"I just used the Md Arms V-plug and a little polish to the bolt and carrier I now shoot federal bulk 100%."

Mine (unconverted) is the same, with 100 percent reliability with Federal low brass, as well as Winchester #2, #4, and Remington '00' buck. That's enough to fulfill my Saiga's Home Defense purpose of use philisophy.

With one notable exception....If I chamber a round, then force feed the magazine into the gun, oftentimes deforming the top shell of the magazine, and later use the deformed shell at another place in the magazine, it will refuse to feed properly. Of course, keeping a gun, even in a safe, with a round chambered is not to be recommended.

PJJ

"I just used the Md Arms V-plug and a little polish to the bolt and carrier I now shoot federal bulk 100%."

Mine (unconverted) is the same, with 100 percent reliability with Federal low brass, as well as Winchester #2, #4, and Remington '00' buck. That's enough to fulfill my Saiga's Home Defense purpose of use philisophy.

With one notable exception....If I chamber a round, then force feed the magazine into the gun, oftentimes deforming the top shell of the magazine, and later use the deformed shell at another place in the magazine, it will refuse to feed properly. Of course, keeping a gun, even in a safe, with a round chambered is not to be recommended.

PJJ

You can't make that a blanket statement. Well, you can but it doesn't fit. My EDC always has one in the chamber. Always.

Edited by Stansplace

WHY?

Does my gun shoot reliabily with an MD Arms V Plug and some bolt and carrier polishing? Or why is it not recommended to keep a rounded chambered in a gun, even in a safe?

To the first, I also attribute a good breaking in to the gun, and that, with the other two items is sufficient to insure reliability in those loadings I've named. As to the deformed shells not feeding properly, I experienced that this very day (not from leaving it loaded in a safe, but from choosing to load my shells in a particular order, an order that put the topmost, deformed shell in the 12 round magazine, about midway down. I used the loaded gun in a safe analogy as a shortcut to what I've just now related). Beyond that, I don't know....

As to the loaded gun in a safe, I have four shotguns sitting in one safe, and one in another, not to mention a lavish of other rifles and pistols. I've learned, that if I don't keep a strict regimen as to the state in which I store and keep guns, I am prone to assuming one gun is unloaded, and it is not, while assuming another is not loaded, but is....and since all of my guns have an HD component to them, I'm afraid that in the stress of an attempted break in, or home invasion, I may well pick up the (a) gun, and make the wrong assumption as to 'loaded', or 'unloaded'. Such mistakes could be really costly.

My circumstance is perhaps a bit odd, in that home security around here is vastly important. And I view all things gunwise from that perspective.

Later!

PJJ

WHY?

Does my gun shoot reliabily with an MD Arms V Plug and some bolt and carrier polishing? Or why is it not recommended to keep a rounded chambered in a gun, even in a safe?

To the first, I also attribute a good breaking in to the gun, and that, with the other two items is sufficient to insure reliability in those loadings I've named. As to the deformed shells not feeding properly, I experienced that this very day (not from leaving it loaded in a safe, but from choosing to load my shells in a particular order, an order that put the topmost, deformed shell in the 12 round magazine, about midway down. I used the loaded gun in a safe analogy as a shortcut to what I've just now related). Beyond that, I don't know....

As to the loaded gun in a safe, I have four shotguns sitting in one safe, and one in another, not to mention a lavish of other rifles and pistols. I've learned, that if I don't keep a strict regimen as to the state in which I store and keep guns, I am prone to assuming one gun is unloaded, and it is not, while assuming another is not loaded, but is....and since all of my guns have an HD component to them, I'm afraid that in the stress of an attempted break in, or home invasion, I may well pick up the (a) gun, and make the wrong assumption as to 'loaded', or 'unloaded'. Such mistakes could be really costly.

My circumstance is perhaps a bit odd, in that home security around here is vastly important. And I view all things gunwise from that perspective.

Later!

PJJ

All guns are loaded, that is the way you deal with them anyway.

I tried 2 different standard twister pucks in my low gassed gun and both were extremely unreliable with federal bulk birdshot. The gun would stovepipe 80% of the time if not worse. I popped the twister puck out and put a KA puck in and the gun runs 100% with federal bulk. All other things being equal.

I then popped the KA puck out and compared it to the factory puck and the gun cycled better with the KA puck.

Really? I haven't tried my twister puck yet (hence the "I thinks"). I'll bring my factory plug along just in case.

Were you using different guns in the video or were you using many different types of ammo such as some video shot with high power loads and other video shot with low power loads?

The reason I ask is because the gun appears to have wildly varying cyclic rates at different times of the video.

Wildly varying cyclic rates... are from your finger not the gun.. how long you hold it if your bursting or cranked down for the mag..

Wildly varying cyclic rates... are from your finger not the gun.. how long you hold it if your bursting or cranked down for the mag..

The weapon in the video demonstrated different cyclic rates during the same trigger pull on more than one occasion. Whether that was due to ammo, I don't know, I left the floor open for you.

Really? I haven't tried my twister puck yet (hence the "I thinks"). I'll bring my factory plug along just in case.

yeah, the twister puck made my perfectly functioning shotgun a jam-o-matic too.