"Bulletproof" optics????

Now that we have an optics section, what are the more durable optics that can stand up to the recoil of 3" magnum 12 gauge slugs, .308, 30-.06, 7.62x54r, .338 Lapua & other powerful loads..

This is a common question posed on all the other sub-forums, so I figure it's worth a "once & for all thread" in the new optics section.

Red dots?

Holographic?

Long range scopes?

There's a lot out there that many of our guns will break in 1 or a few shots...

What economical, or moderately priced optics will stand up to the more powerful loads?

POSP is a given, being as they are made for the 54r, but a POSP is kinda mall-ninja'esque on the S-12...

Personally, I'm partial to having Iron sights left on on everything for SHTF simplicity, reliability & durability, but a little something for peace time is cool too.

• Like 2

Hello

Hate to sound redundant, but I believe the Standard of the Industry when it comes to functional "bulletproofness" is "IOR".

(IOR "Bucharesti" and later "Valdada")

If "copy" is the highest form of "flattery" then IOR should be very flattered....

JMHO...

-guido

• 2 weeks later...

Red dots?

Holographic?

Long range scopes?

What economical, or moderately priced optics will stand up to the more powerful loads?

For most people looking at this site, especially newcomers, that phrase is key.

To tell people that a Saiga is great value at less than $500 for rifle or shotgun, then tell him that he needs to spend the same or even double that for an optic to put on it is just not gonna work. Its like trying to sell someone with a Hyundai on high dollar Pirelli tires.

There are many quality optics that are reasonably priced without going with Leupold, Trijicon, Aimpoint or Eotech.

For example:

•  
  • Redfield (US made, a division of Leupold, available from $150 - $300)
  • Simmons (I've got one on my S308. Works great and a real bargain)
  • Vortex (I've heard good things about their red dots and they're avail. for less than $200)
  • Bushnell (My Trophy red dot has been a solid performer on my S12 and its avail. for about $150 or less)

Now those that I listed, are they fogproof, waterproof and recoil proof? Yes

Would I do a drop test with those and expect it to be still 100%? No But thats what those "other" highend optics are for.

Edited by FrustratedInCali
  • 4 weeks later...

On the "quality budget" side of micro red dots, I've had great luck with 2 different Konus Atomic Pro sights on my S12 and 7.62x39 rifles and I've heard great things about the similar Primary Arms red dot as well. Both retail for about $100 and both have good reputations on other forums from people who also use them.

Z

• 5 weeks later...

Why not consider the wide angle PSO? 1.5x18.

I think it'd make quite a nice optic for the saiga 12. A little magnification never hurts, if you take some hints from trijicon's bindon aiming concept videos you can get used to using even 8 power scopes under 25 yards.

A PSO on a saiga isn't mall-ninja to me, I slapped a 4x on mine to see what it'd look like, and it handles fine. I wouldn't really want to run it like that though.

Heh, I just threw my romanian TIP2 onto my saiga and it fits and looks beautiful. Sights in nice and I have a feeling it'd be good for slugs. With the SVD mount I imagine it'll come lose rather fast since the stop lug sits in front of the rail instead of inside of it. I quite like the optic on there after just getting the idea to try it from this thread, I may give it a go at the range next time. 22" full choked barrel gives me some very nice patterns out past even 50 yards.

Edited by Tombs
  • 4 weeks later...

If you want bulletproof you have two options: ACOG or Aimpoint

RS%20AKOG%20postable.jpg

sctstmnt_315.jpg

No doubt these are good optics, but not exactly in the budget category. And in that case I would add Nightforce to the list - they literally have a 3.5-15x50 that had an AK round go through it in Iraq and it held zero... you just can't turn the power knob now. The soldier taped the hole to keep sand out and finished his mission. I know ACOG's have similar war stories.

Have a 100 dollar bushnell of some sort on a mosin nagant.. No problems.

Had a ncstar mkIII on my .308.. After a few shots I realized the thing wiggled back and forth on it's mount.. Made me annoyed.. don't like them.

Red dots?

Holographic?

Long range scopes?

For most people looking at this site, especially newcomers, that phrase is key.

To tell people that a Saiga is great value at less than $500 for rifle or shotgun, then tell him that he needs to spend the same or even double that for an optic to put on it is just not gonna work. Its like trying to sell someone with a Hyundai on high dollar Pirelli tires.

There are many quality optics that are reasonably priced without going with Leupold, Trijicon, Aimpoint or Eotech.

For example:

•  
  • Redfield (US made, a division of Leupold, available from $150 - $300)
  • Simmons (I've got one on my S308. Works great and a real bargain)
  • Vortex (I've heard good things about their red dots and they're avail. for less than $200)
  • Bushnell (My Trophy red dot has been a solid performer on my S12 and its avail. for about $150 or less)

Now those that I listed, are they fogproof, waterproof and recoil proof? Yes

Would I do a drop test with those and expect it to be still 100%? No But thats what those "other" highend optics are for.

That's silly logic, a lot of people buy a gun FOR their optics. The price point of the saiga just leaves you with extra money to spend on optics.

If you want to be the guy with the walmart scope on your saiga 12 be my guest, but it's awfully silly. The price of the gun isn't the issue, it's whether the gun is worthy of what level optics. I paid $200 for my saiga and put a PKAS on it, which do you think cost more? I easily have 4x the initial price in just accessories that are on the gun.

Less money spent on the gun, more money to equip it, that's all there is to it. Unless you don't really care, in which you shouldn't waste money and you should just use irons. Cheap optics are the fastest way to make a good gun absolutely useless. If you don't want to spend the money, then don't and just save up. Irons will work better than a walmart scope any day of the week.

Only budget optics I believe are worth their weight in gold are weavers, they're friggin amazing for their price points.

And for the money, the millet DMS-1 is untouchable. Biggest problem with these cheaper scopes is their weight, they can render a naturally fast and true shooting gun to be sluggish and extremely heavy.

Edited by Tombs
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

That's silly logic, a lot of people buy a gun FOR their optics. The price point of the saiga just leaves you with extra money to spend on optics.

If you want to be the guy with the walmart scope on your saiga 12 be my guest, but it's awfully silly. The price of the gun isn't the issue, it's whether the gun is worthy of what level optics. I paid $200 for my saiga and put a PKAS on it, which do you think cost more? I easily have 4x the initial price in just accessories that are on the gun.

Less money spent on the gun, more money to equip it, that's all there is to it. Unless you don't really care, in which you shouldn't waste money and you should just use irons. Cheap optics are the fastest way to make a good gun absolutely useless. If you don't want to spend the money, then don't and just save up. Irons will work better than a walmart scope any day of the week.

^^^THIS^^^

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 mildot for my PSL. Dang heavy, but has a good reputation, good glass, and a warranty that matches Leopold's (ie, does it have our name on it? send it back, we'll make it right). Oh, was also $450, including the 30mm rings. A friend of mine said that he's seen a vortex get dropped off the back of the truck, land on the scope, and it held zero. Not bulletproof, but dang tough.

I am not happy with the weaver I bought, it doesn't have enough adjustment to bring the scope to point of impact.

I have a Vortex Sparc on my 762x39 and I like it a lot. It comes with 2x magnifier, various height mount blocks, is NV compatible and fairly small. It holds zero like a champ so far and is definitely bright enough for daylight and full sun. All for like $200 or just under.

Edited by Tyex39