Bolt locked, Help!

Ok my 308 bolt is locked back and will not unlock and go forward. The trigger is locked in its back position also. I let a friend shoot it and he said for some reason he pulled both the bolt back and pulled the trigger. (why I dont really know) It is now firmly locked back, I have tried pulling it back as usuall to unlock the action but nothing works, I think some how the hammer or something else in the FCG is caught, but I dont really know.

Ok my 308 bolt is locked back and will not unlock and go forward.  The trigger is locked in its back position also.  I let a friend shoot it and he said for some reason he pulled both the bolt back and pulled the trigger. (why I dont really know) It is now firmly locked back, I have tried pulling it back as usuall to unlock the action but nothing works, I think some how the hammer or something else in the FCG is caught, but I dont really know.

ok, you ready...

First thing you do is never let that friend touch you guns again :haha:

but seriously, if you could maybe get some pics up here, that would help us help you

i would try to remove the recoil spring and the bolt and then take a look at the FCG and see whats going on.

Make sure its unloaded first :haha:

No but seriously there isnt much to these guns so I would assume that its got to be something simple. The disconnector may be hanging up on the hammer or something. :unsure: Does it have a BHO? Maybe he accidentally pushed that when he was messing around?

Edited by stokstad

I took off the back cover and tried to unhook the recoil spring attachment thing in the back. the action is too far back to allow me to take apart the action, by pushing on the the back latch. (do what you will with that precise statement). WIll try rubber mallet solution.

It's the bolt resting on part of the FCG binding it (rear of trigger or disconnector?). I've done it before with mine (getting it stuck) and after smacking the bolt handle around a bit with my hand, it all of the sudden let go. Some AK guys use that technique as a psuedo bolt hold-open, but apparently it can bind our actions. My advice is to first try slapping the butt of the rifle on the ground (hands clear of action) and then if that doesn't work, try smacking it back and forth once with a rubber mallet to see if either direction will force it loose. Surely one of the above methods will free it.

heh, further proof of the #1 ak47 tool. the rubber mallet. it does sound like the hammer might be wedged up in there. look through the side of the action and see if you can see if it is trying to uncock into the bolt carrier/bolthead

I had this happen with .308 Vepr. Are you using a buffer?

I was using a Buffertech buffer, with the buffer in place there is not enough rearward movement to get things undone. Had to take pliers and rip out the buffer, pull the bolt back and release.

Mine does have a buffer in it. Tried the mallet to no avail, at least I tried hitting it as hard as I was comfortable hitting a gun with a hammer, which isnt all that hard. Ill try taking the buffer out, which will probobly ruin it but, it was cheap.

• 2 weeks later...