Convince Me To Get A Saiga .308

I would really like to get a Saiga .308, but from what I've seen here on the forums,to be quite honest,I'm less than impressed with its accuracy. It seems like in order to get decent groups you have use match grade type ammo. My 7.62X39 Saiga gets very good groups with the cheap Ruskie steel case stuff.

Also,most of the range reports I've seen for the S-308 have been at ranges of 100-200 yards.(I can do that with my x39 easily) I would really like to see some data of groups at 500-600+ yards with this gun.(I mean, it's .308 for crying out loud) I want something that is going to perform well at longer ranges, something that will do what my x39 can't do. So,convince me why I should get a Saiga .308 instead of something like a G3/FAL clone. Not trying to sound lame or be a stick in the mud, just being honest.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

You can go 'Wood'

post-8775-0-41141100-1290713553_thumb.jpg

post-8775-0-87144000-1290713621_thumb.jpg

Or a little 'Modern'

post-8775-0-09676100-1290714060_thumb.jpg

You can get sub 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards with Hornady ammo, a good scope, & practice.. :super:

post-8775-0-15836000-1290713736_thumb.jpg

FYI,..

Going to be hard on here for most to comment on 300-500 yards as most 'ranges' are 200-300 maximum in some areas of the country. IMHO..

I'm looking a an AR-10 right now though its 308 I'll still be limited to 200 yards where I shoot at mostly..

Al

Edited by YWHIC

It has enough power to kill large game at more then 100 yards.

.308 has a lot more power then 7.62x39, like I have a spinning steel target I made to shoot with my SKS. The SKS left small dents with soft points at 50 yards, so I figured .308 soft point at 100 yards would probably be ok. Not so, rather it blew 1/2 inch wide holes through the target.

For people that prepare for SHTF (I'm not one) it makes sense to have a rifle that can puncture light field cover like small trees. Try shooting some green logs with a .223 or 7.62x39, you will see what I mean.

I've shot OK groups with my saiga using brown bear FMJ. Two and three inch groups at 100 yards is about my average.

EDIT to add: One HUGE advantage the saiga .308 has, is that you CAN shoot steel cased .308 ammo. I know many people that have FALs that have not shot them since 05' because of the cost of brass cased ammo.

I can shoot the worst crap ammo on earth and still hit minute of man at 500 yards. With a 16 inch barrel. And we are talking Trash ammo. Its not a tack driver but a man is in SERIOUS danger out to about 1000yards. I haven't shot much beyond that. With good ammo I could easily probably hit minute of man out to 1000yards. And I would like to point out that this is with good optics and a little time to get to know the rifle. I have put a couple thousand rounds down range with this rifle and I do a ton of long range shooting.

Edited by SomethingEZ

I can shoot the worst crap ammo on earth and still hit minute of man at 500 yards. With a 16 inch barrel. And we are talking Trash ammo. Its not a tack driver but a man is in SERIOUS danger out to about 1000yards. I haven't shot much beyond that. With good ammo I could easily probably hit minute of man out to 1000yards. And I would like to point out that this is with good optics and a little time to get to know the rifle. I have put a couple thousand rounds down range with this rifle and I do a ton of long range shooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD2QD1ZH8w4

I never knew AK's or variants to be a weapon for accuracy, they have always been spray guns not bolt action rifles. As far as the accuracy goes today Saiga's are a lot more accurate then their counter part the AK-47... They will never be 1 MOA at 400 yards that is for sure, you would be lucky to get that at 100 yards......

I bought mine because of the history of the AK and it's reliability to always shoot no matter what the circumstances you find yourself in......

"So,convince me why I should get a Saiga .308 instead of something like a G3/FAL clone"

Are you talking about decent G3 and FAL variants or the Century Arms kit builds that can be had for around $600? I wouldn't count on those besting a Saiga 308 in ANY way.

A decent gun like a PTR91 or DSA FAL will run you around $1200. My buddy's PTR91 is a nice looking gun, but its got its quirks and is not any more accurate than my S308.

Any way, a converted S308 makes for a very fine battle rifle.

post-10789-0-65036000-1290726520_thumb.jpg

• Like 1