Is convrted Saiga legal in NJ?

I am ging to the peoples republic of NJ over the christmas holidays to visit some of my family. I was going to bring my converted Saiga-12 to show my brothers. One of them is a gun buff (and soldier). I don't want to do this if it is illegal though. My Saiga has a US made stock, pistol grip, tri-rail foregrip with verticle forgrip attachment and a cobra trigger group. Otherwise it is stock. I will leave the 10 round mag behind and just take the stock Russian mag.

Does anyone know if taking it could get me in trouble? Oh yeah, I will be driving through AL, TN, VA, MD and DE but I'm pretty sure all those states are ok.

You may want to try the 'New Jersey Hometown forum' at ar15.com

I think you will need to have a thumbhole stock on it. Or, you could just leave the buttstock off and maybe someone there has a butthole stock you can throw on it temporarily? Do thorough research and be careful. Don't let the commies take your gunrights.

No pistol grip and detach mag in NJ for shotguns..

You can have PG and detach mag (under 15 rounds) for rifle but not shotgun.

No folding or collapsible stocks with PG in NJ either... no flash hiders either.. 'brakes' are OK but must be PINNED on or welded.

sorry.

Al

ANY semi automatic shotgun with a pistol grip is illegal in NJ. It is "unclear" whether a thumbhole stock counts as a pistol grip in NJ (and no one is eager to be the guinea pig who finds out)

NJ also has some horrifically unconstitutional laws, for example anyone in possession of a firearm is considered in illegal possession unless they can prove that they fall within one of NJ's very narrowly defined exceptions to the law.

I would strongly recommend leaving your Saiga at home. Let your brothers see it some other time.

http://reason.com/archives/2010/11/15/brian-aitkens-mistake

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice I will be leaving it home I guess.

Leave the weapon at home? I just wouldn't go to Jersey. I refuse to go to any state where I can't carry concealed or bring a well set up long arm. The wife hates it :smoke: .... but she always feels safe when we do travel.

No folding or collapsible stocks with PG in NJ either... no flash hiders either.. 'brakes' are OK but must be PINNED on or welded.

As far as I remember, NJ's laws were very similar to NY's laws (aside from mag cap limits, and the pre-ban clause in NY's ban). In NY, the whole "no flash hider, but perm attached brakes are legal" thing only applied to rifles, and not shotguns. You could put any muzzle device on shotguns (even semi's) and not worry about it being perm attached. Isn't it the same in Jersey?

Edited by -Shooter-
In NY, the whole "no flash hider, but perm attached brakes are legal" thing only applied to rifles, and not shotguns. You could put any muzzle device on shotguns (even semi's) and not worry about it being perm attached. Isn't it the same in Jersey?

Yes, you can put a detachable muzzle device, be it choke, flash suppressor or muzzle brake, on a shotgun in NJ. Pump actions are not affected by the ban, you can put whatever stocks and grips on them that you want. However semi-auto shotguns differ from NY in that there is a 6 round limit, and absolutely no pistol grip allowed on them.

I am ging to the peoples republic of NJ over the christmas holidays to visit some of my family. I was going to bring my converted Saiga-12 to show my brothers. One of them is a gun buff (and soldier). I don't want to do this if it is illegal though. My Saiga has a US made stock, pistol grip, tri-rail foregrip with verticle forgrip attachment and a cobra trigger group. Otherwise it is stock. I will leave the 10 round mag behind and just take the stock Russian mag.

Does anyone know if taking it could get me in trouble? Oh yeah, I will be driving through AL, TN, VA, MD and DE but I'm pretty sure all those states are ok.

You may be able to leave the bolt at home to make it legal. Rendering the gun inoperable may skirt you past the law.

I searched quickly and couldn't find any NJ provisions that come to bear on that point. Their definition of "firearm" doesn't specify "functioning receivers" as firearms, so you may be alright. Then again, there may be a "readily restorable" clause somewhere else that I haven't found.

Edited by Michael Graffam
In NY, the whole "no flash hider, but perm attached brakes are legal" thing only applied to rifles, and not shotguns. You could put any muzzle device on shotguns (even semi's) and not worry about it being perm attached. Isn't it the same in Jersey?

Yes, you can put a detachable muzzle device, be it choke, flash suppressor or muzzle brake, on a shotgun in NJ. Pump actions are not affected by the ban, you can put whatever stocks and grips on them that you want. However semi-auto shotguns differ from NY in that there is a 6 round limit, and absolutely no pistol grip allowed on them.

Ah, gotcha. I knew it was pretty close.

OP, how about just taking some detailed pictures to show your bros? I know, not as good as the real thing......but from the sounds of it, you're probably not going to want to test NJ and the crazy laws.

OP, how about just taking some detailed pictures to show your bros? I know, not as good as the real thing......but from the sounds of it, you're probably not going to want to test NJ and the crazy laws.

Shoot some video of that beast and make sure you get a good view of all of the things the guys in NJ can't have :angel:

Shoot some video of that beast and make sure you get a good view of all of the things the guys in NJ can't have :angel:

You mean like a video of some dude with an S12 dumping drums with the stock against his nutsack? Who would do something like that? :lolol: