I have an opportunity to buy a Saiga carbine chambered in .308. In reading reviews, I find there is a problem with some Saiga's taking high-cap magazines. Might someone fill me in on which rifles do and which don't without a conversion?

These are the specs on the rifle I'm looking at:

RAA, Saiga 308-1 Carbine, .308 Winchester/7.62 NATO Caliber, Semi-Automatic, Synthetic Stock, 16 inch Barrel, 8 round Magazine Capacity, Black, IZ137

Product ID: 56179

MFG ID: IZ137

This semi-automatic Carbine from Russian American Armory is magnificient. Chambered for the .308 Winchester and 7.62 NATO rounds, the RAA Saiga 308-1 Carbine features a synthetic stock for extra stability and an 8 round Magazine. This carbine is a great introduction to AK-47 type rifles.

• RAA Saiga 308-1 Carbine
  • .308 Winchester/7.62 NATO Caliber
  • Semi-Automatic
  • Synthetic Stock
  • 16 inch Barrel
  • 8 round Magazine Capacity
  • Black Finish
  • Manufacturer Number IZ137

I have an opportunity to buy a Saiga carbine chambered in .308. In reading reviews, I find there is a problem with some Saiga's taking high-cap magazines.

The only problem I'm aware of is legal. If you have the required number of U.S. parts to comply with the moronic 922r law, there should be no problem at all.

Edited by Jim Digriz

Use this to see what you can/need to replace...

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

Most of the high-cap mags are American made anyways, so those will count as 3 U.S. made parts. Change the forend or gas piston to make it compliant. On the bright side, the .308s are the easiest Saiga to convert back to AK configuration, and trust me it's worth it.