i'm shopping for a brake. i friggin love the looks of the amd-style, as well as the $15 price tag. but i have no idea concerning the functionality, so i'm hoping to get a couple suggestions. my main concerns are price and muzzle climb. i can handle shoulder-thumping, and i can live with flash, but i feel i my follow up shots would be a little quicker if i could keep the muzzle from hopping up. what are my options?

As far as I know, none of the cheaper brakes work all too well. If you want the stuff that actually works , get one of the AK74 style brakes that cost over $50 (the cheaper ones are (for the most part) cosmetic replicas and not functional copies). A proper AK74 style brake works great and so do the Primary Weapon Systems brakes, which are rather pricey.

AMD style brakes excel at one thing; deafening the shooter and anyone nearby. :D I don't think much of em.

I agree with SpetsnazGRU, it's tough to beat the effectiveness of a 24mm '74-type brake. I use em exclusively on my current 7.62x39 rifles.

Here's a pic of one in use:

muzzleflashlvl31.jpg

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I take it you don't have a threaded barrel since you mentioned the AMD brake, which I believe are pin-on, but if you do happen to have a threaded barrel, I would recommend a 74 brake.(a real 74 brake with 24mm threads and off-set gas ports, not the 74 style brakes with 14mm threads.) I got one on GB (U.S. made copy) for around $20 including shipping, and I can definitely tell a difference. It does a great job at reducing muzzle rise.

AMD style brakes excel at one thing; deafening the shooter and anyone nearby. :D I don't think much of em.

In a 24mm brake, I agree with SpetzGRU, it's tough to beat the effectiveness of a '74-type brake. I use em exclusively on my current 7.62x39 rifles.

Here's a pic of one in use:

muzzleflashlvl31.jpg

So, that's a 74 brake in the pic, not an AMD one, right ? BTW, what kind of ammo were you using there ? I want mine to make fireballs like that. :super:

So, that's a 74 brake in the pic, not an AMD one, right ? BTW, what kind of ammo were you using there ? I want mine to make fireballs like that. :super:

Yeah, that's one of my '74-type brakes. I was just firing regular ol Brown Bear FMJ. The side blast isn't usually that visible; that was an exceptional fireball. ;)

Yeah, that's one of my '74-type brakes. I was just firing regular ol Brown Bear FMJ. The side blast isn't usually that visible; that was an exceptional fireball. ;)

Looks like the light was fading also or was heavy overcast.

Lot of people don't realize how large a fireball can be at night after the first round you are essentially night blind for several seconds. This is why the Stoner rifle is always issued to troops with a flash hider. Some brakes do yield a portion of flash reduction but cannot advertise as so, only word of mouth there. There is also no blast from a FH and no stress on the end of your barrel. For the 39R round I choose a FH over a brake since odds are it will be dark if you ever have to use it for more than fun. The 308 is another matter Ive not made up my mind on yet.

• Like 1

Looks like the light was fading also or was heavy overcast...

Yes, the light was fading; it was early evening and the sun had just sunk below the hill visible in the pic.

Lot of people don't realize how large a fireball can be at night after the first round you are essentially night blind for several seconds.

I plan on testing out some red lense snow/ski googles. Red light from a night flash will not temporarily blind you.

Keeping my rifle perfectly aimed for fast double or triple taps would be my priority. Red goggles will help whether you shoot a rifle, handgun, or shotgun.

I keep all 3 types for home defense and can't rationalize putting a flash hider on my shotgun or pistol so the goggles would cover these too.

41orxUNFN9L.jpg

Edited by my762buzz

It's funny you mention Red light not blinding you at night, because I just read about this maybe a week ago.

It's some interesting reading, basically what it boils down to is due to the way the human eye is, we see Red the easiest and White the worst. For an easy example, look how headlights in the oncoming lane blind you but brake lights right in front of you are no big deal at all. I can't find the page anymore but it was thing about the rods and cones in your eyes, and white being the hardest to see because white light is all the colors of the spectrum at once and it "overloads" the cones/rods in the eye IIRC.

ALl right enough Bill Nye The Science Guy stuff :lolol:

• Like 1

It's funny you mention Red light not blinding you at night, because I just read about this maybe a week ago.

Oddly the one wavelength that humans see best at night is green 505 nm.

photo1.PNG

The weapon laser and optic market has banked on this lately.

I been seeing green headlights now and then. Pretty fucking extreme.

• Like 1

I think AMD65 brakes (14mm L threaded, by the way) are awesome... so is the fireball and blast! I switched to an M16A1 style birdcage, and no excessive blast and zero fireball. The AMD65 brake would wake the neighbors and light up the neighborhood while it was at it! I know, I have one, and switched. I'll sell it to you cheap, though!

Night vision is a bit more complex than simply the partial solution of red light. The eye goes through several stages of dark adaptation finally reaching a point where even on moonless nights far from city lights you can determine shapes and movement, but this takes as long as 45 minutes of total darkness. Red light interferes the least with the process but by no means is the eye unaffected by it. Red does allow you to see better in very low red light but will inhibit the adaptation process somewhat.

Goggles will reduce the amount of light and shift it red but think on it you are reducing light in a already low light environment. This places you at a disadvantage operating in lower light than a potential threat. Light intensification methods work very well as proven by the US armed forces, the "we own the night" tactical mindset. The better devices also are equipped with gain control so high levels of light are reduced to prevent bloom such as firearm flash. But lose the device though failure or bad luck and the eye is still not dark adapted due to light from the intensifier. The fact is if it were easy night vision devices would not be such a high priority and gone though so many generations, three I think are available to civilians.

So whats the best way without spending a large chunk of change? Simple answer reducing flash as much as possible and some recommend closing one eye while firing saving the vision in at least that eye. Using a length of narrow white slightly reflective tape running the lenth of a few inches on top of the barrel or in the AKs case the gas tube can greatly help aiming in low light assisting your orientation, try it I had good results.

Perhaps someone with SF background can comment more fully as my experience comes from being an astronomer back in the 80s and doing some low light rifle training when opportunity allows.

Hearing is also a problem as firing any large bore weapon like a shotgun indoors is going to cause eardrum damage. There are however inexpensive devices that amplify low level sounds and reduce high level blasts working much the same as hearing aids. These give you a double advantage "hearing" better than the threat and not suffering the distraction of a burst eardrum which hopefully the threat experiences in addition to the normal dangers of a firefight. A simple set of quick insert ear plugs stored with your home defense weapon can literally be a life saver as the pain from burst ear drums can make you near helpless.

It might be nice if we didn't have to go though so much trouble and expense for noise suppressors that also do a great job on flash but big brother just wont have that. If you do go that route always plan on the threat not having the courtesy to also suppress his weapon.

Please do investigate this and let us know if there is a different take on the subject as its potentially very important to us all.

links

http://www.defendu.com/fight_night.htm

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/combat-handguns/getting-the-low-light-tactical-edge/

Edited by Rhodes1968